Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Warmoth Soloist Project

UPDATE (July 13th, 2010): The body and neck just came in! Pics start on page 3

Some of the other regulars have probably heard me talking about my Warmoth Soloist project in the Jim Thread... well after months of brainstorming and researching I finally ordered it

I just got an email from Warmoth saying that the parts should be shipped by mid-late July, so until then, here are the exact specs for the guitar and a couple pics of the hardware I already have:

Rough Kisekae Mock Up:

*Headstock will be the standard Warmoth shape with 3+3 tuners
** Bridge will be modern Fender American Standard, not vintage
*** Nut will not be locking

Body

Shape: Carved top soloist
Wood: Mahogany core w/ flame maple laminate
Finish: Black-Brown-Yellow burst
Bridge: Fender American Standard trem + Graph Tech String Saver Saddles + Tremol-no
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Slash (Neck), Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb (Bridge)
Schaller Strap Locks

Neck

Type: Warmoth Angled Pro Construction -- 21 Frets
Headstock shape: Warmoth
Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss
Neck Wood: Flame Maple
Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood

Inlays: Mother of Pearl dots
Frets: Stainless steel 6150
Nut: Graph tech Black TUSQ XL
Tuners: Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners (chrome)

Here's a thumbnail pic of the wood being used for the fretboard:

The components I have thus far:

Tremol-No:

Sorry about the lack of pics at the moment, I promise I'll post plenty once everything gets here. As always, comments, criticism, advice etc. are more than welcome
Warmoth: Custom Soloist

Last edited by Schism1985 : 07-13-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Schism1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
killcram187
call me Marc, its my name

freakin sexy
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
killcram187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
blandguitar
Retired Posting Machine

I like the f-board figuration, do SS frets play different? Or are they just durable as sh*t? I'm excited to see it all put together.

Wah
Need Wiring Help?
Ultimate Threads

Rydw i'n dysgu Cymraeg.
blandguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandguitar
I like the f-board figuration, do SS frets play different? Or are they just durable as sh*t? I'm excited to see it all put together.

Thanks man, me too

The advantage of SS frets (according to Warmoth) is that they allow for much "smoother" slides and bending.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Ashlakh

the fact that you have a locking nut with a strat tremolo shows that you have no idea what you are doing, the guitar looks very cheap and has no special defining qualities about it, you can pick up 21/22 fret, double humbuckers, flame top guitars anywhere for cheap, only use warmoth for nice custom things not boring things like this, learn more about guitars first before you attempt this.
1982 Ibanez Rocket Roll II
Charvel(ish) San Dimas 2 (modding)
Jackson PS-4 (modding)
Squier Affinity Strat (modding)
custom made Flying V/ Iceman
Headless Steinberger copy

Hail the Hordes!!
Ashlakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlakh
the fact that you have a locking nut with a strat tremolo shows that you have no idea what you are doing, the guitar looks very cheap and has no special defining qualities about it, you can pick up 21/22 fret, double humbuckers, flame top guitars anywhere for cheap, only use warmoth for nice custom things not boring things like this, learn more about guitars first before you attempt this.

I'm all for criticism, but not for spam. Every time I make a thread someone like you comes and posts shit like this because they're too ADD to read the entire OP.

The Kisekae image you see is a rough mock up. If you look at the text directly below the image it says "The nut will NOT be locking." The rest of what you wrote is complete bullshit and I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

Your post has been reported because I'm not going to let this thread degenerate into a spam-fest within its first week.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Ashlakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism1985
I'm all for criticism, but not for spam. Every time I make a thread someone like you comes and posts shit like this because they're too ADD to read the entire OP.

The Kisekae image you see is a rough mock up. If you look at the text directly below the image it says "The nut will NOT be locking." The rest of what you wrote is complete bullshit and I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

Your post has been reported because I'm not going to let this thread degenerate into a spam-fest within its first week.

"Spam is the abuse of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately. ..."

you don't even know what spam is, i was simply being critical no need to (in your words) be ADD, you can buy all of what you wan't for less than half the price of Warmoth from other retailers. The text directly above the image says

"here are the exact specs for the guitar "

i stopped reading there, why would you have

"here are the exact specs *picture* oh yeah lol they aren't the specs but"

it doesn't make any sense, and there was no need to report me, if people keep criticizing all of your threads...maybe you should stop making threads...

and i swear if someone posts that pic that says people who fight on the internet are ******ed...
Jackson PS-4 (modding)

Hail the Hordes!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Ashlakh...
Get out... Now.
Seriously. Not every guitar has to be exquisite with all those doo-dads and what-not.

Schism:
Seems like a great plan!
Good choice on the Schaller Strap Locks.
Are those the one that just sit in place on the Strap Pin?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
"Spam is the abuse of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately. ..."

you don't even know what spam is, i was simply being critical no need to (in your words) be ADD, you can buy all of what you wan't for less than half the price of Warmoth from other retailers. The text directly above the image says

it doesn't make any sense, and there was no need to report me, if people keep criticizing all of your threads...maybe you should stop making threads...

and i swear if someone posts that pic that says people who fight on the internet are ******ed...

You just looked at the picture labeled "Rough Mock Up" and didn't even read the 12-14 lines of actual specs listed below?

Answer me this, where exactly can you find a carved top soloist body with a non-standard finish (Black-Brown-Yellow burst) applied by hand, with a custom rout for a Fender Stratocaster trem and a non-standard pickup configuration (the standard soloist is H/S/H, mine is H/H).

Where can you buy a 21 fret, flame maple neck with vintage gloss tint and a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, with a double expanding truss rod, a graph tech TUSQ XL nut and compound radius?

You're not being critical, you're being a jack ass and posting ignorant comments which are completely irrelevant to my project. If you had read the OP instead of just skipping to the pictures like a 3 year old you'd know that this guitar is by no means the average Soloist.

EDIT: @Timbit, thanks for the support man, but this guitar actually will have a shit load of features once it's done (Temol-No, locking tuners, stainless steel frets, strap locks, high quality pickups, graph tech saddles etc.).

Last edited by Schism1985 : 05-30-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
metalwarrior40
UG Resident

Looks like a cool little project. Not sure how i feel about the colors yet, I'll judge when the real stuff comes in.
Originally Posted by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
metalwarrior40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Sonic Blast
DiMarzio addict in Arabia

Should be really fun! I do wonder why you're putting a strat trem on a soloist. it just doesn't seem to match...

do you know what your flame top is going to look like? I thought I read you could pick your top online.

call me Max

Sonic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

You gotta tell us how those Stainless-Steel frets feel when the truck rolls in with your stuff.
I'm a bit Pessimistic about them.
I don't really know what a Tremol-No does though.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Losenger
Surrounded by morons!

Location: Quantum theory dictates that I am most likely in Wisconsin.
The Tremol-No keeps the bridge from moving with thumb screws. You loosen the thumb screws to release the bridge. I have one on my Damien FR. Works pretty well, but the strings still detune during big bends. Probably won't need it with a standard Fender trem, but it's your party.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Heilz
Fable in the Cold Bed

Schism just donīt listen to him :x

It looks like a great plan bro, how bout the vol pot is closer to the body sooo you can play the guitar and play with it with your pinky =D And gotta love nailbombs bro!

This sorta looks like a guitar a friend wants, can i show him your mockup (lazy as fk to use kise lol).

One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?
Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Heilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader

I'm wondering about both the stainless steel frets and the Tremol-no, I just went to their site, and it looks pretty good. And on the Kisekae, you have a blade switch, is this going to be a 3 way or a 5 way with something like splits (or a super switch )
MonkeyLink07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blast
Should be really fun! I do wonder why you're putting a strat trem on a soloist. it just doesn't seem to match...

do you know what your flame top is going to look like? I thought I read you could pick your top online.

I wanted a good trem, but I didn't want the hassle of a Floyd Rose. Not sure what the top's going to look like, the only choice tops they had were like $300 extra...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilz
Schism just donīt listen to him :x

It looks like a great plan bro, how bout the vol pot is closer to the body sooo you can play the guitar and play with it with your pinky =D And gotta love nailbombs bro!

This sorta looks like a guitar a friend wants, can i show him your mockup (lazy as fk to use kise lol).

Sure, go ahead

I'll be sure to comment on the SS frets once the project's complete.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Ashlakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism1985

You just looked at the picture labeled "Rough Mock Up" and didn't even read the 12-14 lines of actual specs listed below?

Answer me this, where exactly can you find a carved top soloist body with a non-standard finish (Black-Brown-Yellow burst) applied by hand, with a custom rout for a Fender Stratocaster trem and a non-standard pickup configuration (the standard soloist is H/S/H, mine is H/H).

Where can you buy a 21 fret, flame maple neck with vintage gloss tint and a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, with a double expanding truss rod, a graph tech TUSQ XL nut and compound radius?

You're not being critical, you're being a jack ass and posting ignorant comments which are completely irrelevant to my project. If you had read the OP instead of just skipping to the pictures like a 3 year old you'd know that this guitar is by no means the average Soloist.

The reason i didn't read the text below was because the text above made it seem too amateurish, almost all the parts you are acquiring for this project can be bought from many eBay (am i aloud to mention that website?) including from many stores, one seller makes custom necks with insane specs. Double expanding truss rods are basically standard these days as well, there was even one on a $19 neck i bought from china that had it, the graph tech nut can easily be installed as stewmac sells pre-cut nuts (some filing is still needed, but general not much), i was being critical, you have to learn to deal with criticism once in a while and there is no need to result to insults about my nature, you do not know me, i will however agree on the ignorance about the post, i did skip ahead but thats because so many of these threads pop up with people having no idea what they are talking about (eg " hey lol guys i have an squier i want emg's and floyd for teh BR00TALZ" etc) the soloist is now growing on me but i still think you should have done a bit more research before jumping strait to Warmoth as you could have saved alot of money

i didn't mean to come across as a c**t either...
Jackson PS-4 (modding)

Hail the Hordes!!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
The reason i didn't read the text below was because the text above made it seem too amateurish, almost all the parts you are acquiring for this project can be bought from many eBay (am i aloud to mention that website?) including from many stores, one seller makes custom necks with insane specs. Double expanding truss rods are basically standard these days as well, there was even one on a $19 neck i bought from china that had it, the graph tech nut can easily be installed as stewmac sells pre-cut nuts (some filing is still needed, but general not much), i was being critical, you have to learn to deal with criticism once in a while and there is no need to result to insults about my nature, you do not know me, i will however agree on the ignorance about the post, i did skip ahead but thats because so many of these threads pop up with people having no idea what they are talking about (eg " hey lol guys i have an squier i want emg's and floyd for teh BR00TALZ" etc) the soloist is now growing on me but i still think you should have done a bit more research before jumping strait to Warmoth as you could have saved alot of money
and
i didn't mean to come across as a c**t either...

It's all good. Just to let you know, I literally researched this project for months before making my purchase. It wasn't an abrupt or spontaneous decision at all.

None of what you said was criticism, it was ignorant drivel that ignored the OP and substituted irrelevant information as "facts."

Last edited by Schism1985 : 05-30-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #19
Mandeep

Quote:

Mandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #20
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Schism is very well educated when it comes to guitars.
Ashlakh, please don't come into a thread again like this. Ever. Be nicer wehn posting. So much spam, and uneeded comments were created on Schism's thread, they won't be deleted.
Now, no more talk about your angryness, okay?

Rate This Thread: