Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Yngwie or JP
Yngwie Malmsteen 12 26.67%
John Petrucci 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
guitarmack1

Yngwie or Petrucci

So I was bored and started playing my Fender YJM, messing around with some Far Beyond the Sun. Then I got bored of that, and went on to the Count of Tuscany on my ESP M-II. After doing this, I don't know which one I prefer. What about you guys? I know music is not about a competition and crap like that, but I'm just curious about your opinions on their technique, tone, and general songwriting.
guitarmack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
IROn 5L1nKY

Well, obviously, one of the two options is a progressive songwriter who's not bad at lyrics, pretty good at interesting composition, and really ****ing technically good. The other one is a sociopath stuck in the 80's still wearing exotic fur vests, trying to play guitar faster than Dragonforce while still looking more ******ed than said disgustipating band, and lastly who's songs sound like cheesy knock-offs of something heard many decades ago, done much better before, if I may say so.
Oh yeah...
ummm
Petrucci!
IROn 5L1nKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Fadetoblack5:03
UG's Facepalmer

Yngwie is the most pompous ass I've ever seen in my entire life
But GOD DAMN he's one sic shredder
John is one of those guys who always tears it up; there's a reason he's been in G3 6 times, more than any other guitar player.

I really wouldn't compare them because of their genres( John is more Prog. and Yngwie is more Neoclassical) but skill wise, I'd say they would be pretty close. They both are unbelievably clean and fast, they both have some feel in their songs (more John), and both are crazy technical (again, more John) but with John backed up with an actual functioning band I'd say the writing is better in Dream Theater...
Hell, who am I kidding, everything about Dream Theater is better

Need a laugh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaIronForce
._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Last edited by Fadetoblack5:03 : 05-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Fadetoblack5:03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
guitarsftw
UG's Boss

Location: Ann Arbor, MI (attending the University of Michigan)
Both are extremely talented, original, and innovative, and they are both way too different to compare.
guitarsftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
IROn 5L1nKY

hmm... I'm noticing that I'm a little biased...
IROn 5L1nKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
magnum1117
Angry Mexican

Petrucci. He doesn't sound the same as much as Yngwie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremeloud
The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
magnum1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
OctaVariuM8
I'm Trapped

How is this even close?

John Petrucci all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
I love you so much.

YAY!
OctaVariuM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Prophet of Page

Neither is a favourite, but I prefer Yngwie.

I've heard John's solo material, his work with DT and his work with LTE. He's certainly got some terrifying technique, and I do like some of what he's done, but his playing just doesn't really do it for me. I don't like his tone(I actually actively dislike it) or how he articulates the notes he plays. I suppose it doesn't help him either that I really don't like LaBrie's voice.

I don't like much of what Yngwie has done (though more than what I've enjoyed from JP), but I think he's had a lot of great tones (Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy) and his vibrato is fantastic. I really do think that most of the "shreddy nonsense" he releases is purely him catering to the speed freaks that make up most of his audience.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
OctaVariuM8
I'm Trapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Page

I've heard John's solo material, his work with DT and his work with LTE. He's certainly got some terrifying technique, and I do like some of what he's done, but his playing just doesn't really do it for me. I don't like his tone(I actually actively dislike it) or how he articulates the notes he plays. I suppose it doesn't help him either that I really don't like LaBrie's voice.

I don't like much of what Yngwie has done (though more than what I've enjoyed from JP), but I think he's had a lot of great tones (Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy) and his vibrato is fantastic. I really do think that most of the "shreddy nonsense" he releases is purely him catering to the speed freaks that make up most of his audience.

Crucify HIM!!!!!

Quote:
I love you so much.

YAY!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Page

hah good too see some of the older cats making their rounds.

John Petrucci should take a retreat from guitar playing for a while and come back with something fresh. His playing has to be the most contrived now amongst modern guitar players. His playing is like this obscenely bloated propaganda on guitar technique and its benefits to society. Cannot stand it his playing or the rotten carcass and parody of the word "progressive" that DT is.

That said, at this stage I can't take Yngwie's playing either. The only difference is, Yngwie has never and will never give a ****. So that kinda elevates him in my book. In fact, when I get bored trying to figure Coltrane changes, I jump into the opening riff from "Krakatau" to give me some perspective on life and the universe, etc.
Axegrinder#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Prophet of Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder#9
hah good too see some of the older cats making their rounds

Yeah nice to see you round here!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Cody1094

I LIKE Yngwie better. but if you gave them a genre different from usual it would be at about the same skill level. theyre hard to compare though since different genres but i would have to go with Yngwie

Dean V United Abominations etd
Squier/Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez Exotic Zebrawood
Yamaha Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Peavey KB500
Honeytone Mini
Cage 125 watt
Honer Bluesband Harmonica
Jaw Harp

to be increased soon hopefully
Cody1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
baf250

John Petrucci all the way, for basically the same reasons that have been previously stated. And the fact that John isn't an arrogant asshole is a big plus for me as well, but that doesn't affect the skills.
baf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
TMF128
Custom User Title:

I find John Petrucci's playing to be a little bit more interesting, but I enjoy both of them.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
TMF128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
18th_Angel
UG Member

Quote:
John Petrucci should take a retreat from guitar playing for a while and come back with something fresh. His playing has to be the most contrived now amongst modern guitar players. His playing is like this obscenely bloated propaganda on guitar technique and its benefits to society. Cannot stand it his playing or the rotten carcass and parody of the word "progressive" that DT is.
Woah dude calm down. John Petrucci is a man who is simply more disciplined than most when it comes to the guitar, that doesn't make him contrived.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #16
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18th_Angel
Woah dude calm down. John Petrucci is a man who is simply more disciplined than most when it comes to the guitar, that doesn't make him contrived.

calmer than you are and I still stand by what I have to say.
Axegrinder#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
leephan

I think Yngwie has the upper hand when it comes to technique, but JP's music is a lot more interesting.
leephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #18
Timothongz

For speed, versatility and accuracy/cleanliness JP has him beat.

But in terms of phrasing (especially vibrato), Yngwie shits on him. His vibrato is probably the best I've ever heard, along with Marty Friedman and Gary Moore.
Timothongz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Yngwie all the way, He has the best vibrato in the world, and his older stuff is amazing.

John petrucci is a machine, and he can't improvise for toffee.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
OctaVariuM8
I'm Trapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Yngwie all the way, He has the best vibrato in the world, and his older stuff is amazing.

John petrucci is a machine, and he can't improvise for toffee.

At around 4:10, it is all improvised. This came before The Count of Tuscany btw.

Quote:
I love you so much.

YAY!

Rate This Thread: