Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity

The Ramones - you're gonna Kill that Girl

This song was played on the dukebox in my Local Bar tonight and caused a bit of a debate between a couple of Ramones fans.
One guy said that this song was about the Son of Sam murders. Another Dude said it was about one of the Ramones witnessing a mugging gone wrong. Another guy said the song was about a car accident witnessed by one of the Ramones.
Can Anyone tell me what the song is about? It would mean alot to me because music arguments, sadly, drag on for weeks in my local! I guess its the price you pay for living in a small town!
Thanx.

Last edited by Joe Publicity : 05-28-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Joe Publicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity

Sorry for the error in the song name.
Joe Publicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!

A guy about to kill a girl
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
shortyafter

In the End of the Century documentary I'm pretty sure they said Joey wrote it about Dee Dee and his girlfriend. Dee Dee was high all the time and basically treated the girl like absolute shit but she stuck around anyway. Joey seriously thought Dee Dee was gonna end up killing her so that inspired him to write the song.

Or something like that. I might have gotten the details wrong so don't take my word for it.
shortyafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
iwannabesedated
King Sombrero

Get Brian in here. He's like the Ramones trivia encyclopedia.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabesedated
Get Brian in here. He's like the Ramones trivia encyclopedia.

Haha, thank you!

In short, I don't have a definite answer, I can only speculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyafter
In the End of the Century documentary I'm pretty sure they said Joey wrote it about Dee Dee and his girlfriend. Dee Dee was high all the time and basically treated the girl like absolute shit but she stuck around anyway. Joey seriously thought Dee Dee was gonna end up killing her so that inspired him to write the song.

Or something like that. I might have gotten the details wrong so don't take my word for it.

I think the End Of The Century documentary is most likely to be right. Witnessing a crime and writing a song about it is a pretty rock and roll, so I don't honestly think that a documentary would overlook that.

That said, I can't remember who is in that particular footage. As I recall the only tie is that live footage of the song is played with closed captions, which could just be done as a way to tie the documentary into a linear progression. That's a huge part of documentary making, whereby the flow is more important than the history.

The first 3 albums were more or less written in their entirety before the Ramones self-titled album was recorded. That would likely rule out the Son of Sam murders, the first murder of which didn't happen until the end of July, 1976. Leave Home wasn't recorded until later in the year though, so it is possible (but unlikely) assuming the song is a straggler in terms of being written. But the second murder wasn't until the end of October 1976, the point at which a non-isolated case would become a focal point for a song. The son of sam killings weren't technically serial until 1977. So I would rule that hypothesis out.

In terms of the song being played live, I've not seen it posted here - http://www.songkick.com/artists/998...ography?page=57 - until the It's Alive album recordings at the end of 1977, so I'm not sure as to exactly when the song was written and first played live.

This is usually a good site, but in this case the comments aren't very insightful.
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/96359/

I would argue the Beatles inspiration here though.

This is why everything about bands should be archived. Because it's both nerdy and interesting.
BrianApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: