Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #21
hunkychunk

UK

Well the intro chords are D, C and G which are the 5, 4 and 1 chords in G Major but D is the tonal center (home to the ear) here making this a D Mixolydian chord sequence. The same chords as used in Sweet Home Alabama by the way.

Theory is just a tool to explain and analyse what is going on, you don't have to understand it to be able to play music but it helps take the guess work out of it.
hunkychunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
hunkychunk

Its all to do with emphasis, so even if you just play single notes with no backing you can make a Major scale sound like any of its modes by emphasising certain notes.

For example the sweet child riff (although using the same notes as G major) begins and ends on the D note as well as having it in each part of it so D is emphasised more than the other notes.

Even Blues guitarists use modes all the time such as the major 6th note from the Dorian mode when using the minor pentatonic scale.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
malmsteensolo

Major and minor pentatonic scales, blues scales, major and minor scales. But 90 percent of the time he'll use minor pentatonic and blues scales for phrasing and soloing.
malmsteensolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
jsepguitar

Once you find out every scale Slash ever used, what are you going to do with that information?
jsepguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
willemhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnighttnight
Hey i'm learning scales and i'd like to know all scales Slash ever used in GnR + modes

During the GnR era -- Minor and major pentatonic, with some special additions. In fact, you can very roughly break down his style into several components of the pentatonic scales that are used in certain ways (either bent, or with additional notes).

I suggest you read the trilogy series over at http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu...licks-and-tips/
willemhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #26
hunkychunk

UK

Yes he adds the major sixth to the minor pentatonic/blues scales, as do many blues players; the major sixth comes from the dorian mode! Of course Slash like most blues players won't think of it like this,to them it's just an additional note that usually sounds good.

Scales ain't music anyway, just tools/guidelines. It's more imporant to work on your own style, the world does not need another slash, what it needs are unique, original people. :
Old 10-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
tepperboner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsepguitar
Once you find out every scale Slash ever used, what are you going to do with that information?

Build a mediocre 20 year career around 8 notes?
tepperboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima2876
That's bullshit. That's like saying to play the 10th fret of the A string you have to be playing in the mindset that permits it - a mode is just a bunch of notes played with emphasis on a specific tonal centre. You don't need to be 'playing modally' to imply a specific tonal centre - if that tonal centre is implied and you're playing notes from mixolydian then you're playing in the mixolydian mode whether you think you are or not.

Exactly, and emphasising a specific tonal centre takes a lot more than just starting from a different note or playing one note more than the others.

Your harmony defines the tonal centre, and if your song is in the key of C major and resolves to C major then no amount of "starting on a different note" or "playing a Dorian/Mixolydian/Phrygian shape" is going to cause the notes C D E F G A B to be anything other than C major.

Slash uses the major and minor scales, anything else is simply him using his ear to choose notes outside those scales that will sound good in the context of everything else he's playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

Last edited by steven seagull : 10-16-2010 at 08:31 AM.
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
nickpgarner

Slash used primarily Minor/Major Pentatonic, with Flat 5th. He also used Harmonic Minor and Altered Phrygian with major 3rd (basicaly Harmonic Minor in Phrygian position)!
nickpgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Slash uses minor and major scales with a few passing tones, as already said. He does NOT use modes, cause he's not playing any form of modal music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
Slashiepie
Banged

My ****ing lord! you dare revive this monstruos abomination ?
Someone please send it over to MT where it will be disposed of apropiately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 11-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #32
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpgarner
Slash used primarily Minor/Major Pentatonic, with Flat 5th. He also used Harmonic Minor and Altered Phrygian with major 3rd (basicaly Harmonic Minor in Phrygian position)!

Why da fuck did you necrobump this?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
My ****ing lord! you dare revive this monstruos abomination ?
Someone please send it over to MT where it will be disposed of apropiately.

My apologies. I saw it had been updated by someone and thought it was a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

So... Much... Wrong...
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread