Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Goodnighttnight

CAGED vs Three notes per string

Hey i'm learning the major scale right now and i have a question that's been slowing me down ,

Should i learn the major scale with the CAGED system ( 3 notes on 5 strings ,2 notes on 1) , - here http://justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php

This means learning only 5 "boxes"

Or should i learn it with 3 notes per each string - http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/0/X/G..._per_string.gif

I find it easier with the CAGED system as the boxes seem more compact and easier to improvise on , also they are only 5 boxes instead of 7 with the 3 note per string thing. But i want to learn it the right way.

What should i do ?
Goodnighttnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
JamesCrow

the way I go about learning scales is I figure out the notes of the scale then find the notes around my fretboard. I feel this helps me get out of the restricting boxed playing style
JamesCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Ampersand87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCrow
the way I go about learning scales is I figure out the notes of the scale then find the notes around my fretboard. I feel this helps me get out of the restricting boxed playing style

+1
Ampersand87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Goodnighttnight

Yep of course you don't stick to a box when you solo you go all over, but i need to learn how each mode sounds like so for example when i change keys i know how the boxes move so i know what order to follow.

Boxed playing doesn't have to be restricting. It contains all of the notes on the whole fretboard , hows that restricting ? If you play in only the same box of course you'll be restricted.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
lt22

Why would you want to play in a box? Just feel the notes. If you hit a note that's not in the scale, bend or slide to a note that is.

In other news, I'm not a big fan of all these methods to learn stuff. Just figure out the notes and play it however you want.
lt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Goodnighttnight

I just stated that you DON'T have to play in a box.

But i think its important that you know how lydian scale sounds like , aeolian, locrian and so on . For example if you know a song is played in A aeolian it will be really easy for you to get the song down and improvise over it.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Basically, CAGED is more useful most of the time unless you just want to shred.

In the long run it's handy to get both down but that's obvious.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Goodnighttnight

Do i really need to know the 7 boxes of the three notes per string ? Because in CAGED the 5 boxes seem enough as it covers all notes anyways.

Whats the disadvantage of CAGED over TNPS ?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

^
Ultimately they're both the same thing, there's no reason to differentiate between them - different ways of looking at things are useful in different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnighttnight
I just stated that you DON'T have to play in a box.

But i think its important that you know how lydian scale sounds like , aeolian, locrian and so on . For example if you know a song is played in A aeolian it will be really easy for you to get the song down and improvise over it.

Neither CAGED or 3nps patterns are going to help you with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

Last edited by steven seagull : 06-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
^
Ultimately they're both the same thing, there's no reason to differentiate between them - different ways of looking at things are useful in different situations.

Neither CAGED or 3nps patterns are going to help you with that.

+1

Both 3nps and CAGED are different ways of looking at the SAME THING- so it doesn't matter which one you start with you should eventually know both.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Goodnighttnight

Alright i will bring this up to my teacher see what he says,
personally CAGED is a lot more compact and easily processed for me.

Thank you guys
n1
Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
RDSElite

I'll take knowing the notes of the fretboard over CAGED or 3nps "patterns" any day.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
J_Byrd

Id start out learning basic CAGED patterns, then on to three notes per string. After a long time of experimenting with patterns, though, it will all kind of blend into a complete "map" of the fretboard. TNPS patterns do make great excersises, though
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Goodnighttnight

@RDSElite

Well isn't that the same ?
And for example when you have memorized all the notes of the Major scale in key of A for example , how will you know how to play the major scale again in a different key?

That's what the boxes are for to know the pattern.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Eddy~
guitar dude

^I think what he means is knowing all the frets on the noteboard and then applying that knowledge to the scale interwals.
Eddy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
RDSElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy~
^I think what he means is knowing all the frets on the noteboard and then applying that knowledge to the scale interwals.

Indeed.
It's not a case of only knowing all the notes in A major, like in the example above your post, but knowing ALL the notes on the fretboard, so I can find my way in any key, anywhere on the neck. Also, this allows me to not be "stuck" inside the 3nps patterns, I can move out of them whenever I want to, because I know exactly where (I want) to go.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
88naka

Learn how to read properly , but CAGED is far more useful to build chords and etc ...
88naka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #18
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSElite
Indeed.
It's not a case of only knowing all the notes in A major, like in the example above your post, but knowing ALL the notes on the fretboard, so I can find my way in any key, anywhere on the neck. Also, this allows me to not be "stuck" inside the 3nps patterns, I can move out of them whenever I want to, because I know exactly where (I want) to go.

Without being a prick, the threadstarter has made it very clear that he's perfectly aware of the notes of the neck and he's not planning to get stuck inside boxes.

Even extremely good players organize their fretboards using systems, and a fingering system becomes essential when a certain amount of speed is required.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
revoh
Tone Deaf

TS, I wondered this myself a few months back and talked to a friend of mine who teaches guitar at a music uni. He told me he personally knows both, but he learned the 3 note per string system first and he greatly regrets that as he found it much more shape driven and harder to relate to modes as he was advancing in his playing, and also he didnt like how it didnt revolve around a chord.
So in his, and mine opinion, the CAGED is better to learn first as it revolves around chord shapes, which can immediatly help you when improvising over changes where the key of the song changes constantly and you dont necesarily want to be all over the fretboard, but would rather stay in a general area.

He did mention that the 3 note per string is what all the pro's seem to use when they go into shred, blazing speed, mode. But that at other times they categorize scales in a more CAGED driven system.

CHeers, hope this helps
revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #20
steven seagull
not really a seagull

It doesn't matter which one you "use", it's not even a choice - they're just "there", different ways of looking at the same thing.

All that matters is that you UNDERSTAND what's going on underneath it all, at the end of the day CAGED amd 3 nps patterns aren't absolutes, they're just things you may choose to use if they're appropriate. Whatevever you're doing at any given time you're still just looking at 7 notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: