Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Promote YOUR Band
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Rojam

Putting Your Band On Spotify

So my band is finishing up recording our second EP, and, in my opinion, it sounds ****in' grand, dude. I'm the type of person that if it isn't up to my standards (yes, I know how vain it sounds, but that's who I am) then I try to convince the others not to really try to make this the first thing people hear from us, as the case with EP no. 1. But this is one turning out fantastic. Besides the point.

Really, I should have just gotten to the point here. Has anyone had their music stream on Spotify before? Any success with it? Would you recommend it?

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Rojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Just put it on bandcamp or something. Spotify doesn't pay much by way of royalties even to hugely popular bands, so you probably won't make any money off of it. If you don't care about making money than their are plenty of places to upload it rather than spotify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Just put it on bandcamp or something. Spotify doesn't pay much by way of royalties even to hugely popular bands, so you probably won't make any money off of it. If you don't care about making money than their are plenty of places to upload it rather than spotify.

Crap advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
purplexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Rojam

Tried Bandcamp. My only complaint with Bandcamp was people could listen to the entire album for free without ever having to download. At least with Spotify, I'll make something (hardly anything, mind you) off of it. I'm not expecting to make a million over night.

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Rojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexing
Crap advice

I agree.

The thing about Spotify and various other websites is that while they may not pay much, they make you look like more of a professional band. In this day and age, people probably aren't going to pay five pounds for an EP from a band they've never heard of unless your lead single is strong, and even then it can be difficult to get someone to hand their money over, so Spotify acts as a way to sample to EP, if you like. As a listener, I won't trust a band with my money unless I'm convinced that this release has more than one or two good songs on it, and as a musician, I'd rather people heard my music for free on Spotify than on a dodgy Youtube video stream some guy's put up.

You are right, but this release isn't going to be the first thing people hear from you, it'll be the first time people hear of you, and we all know how important first impressions are. If you sort of sheepishly put it on Soundcloud and Bandcamp, you're gonna give everyone the overwhelming impression that you're just another rubbish unsigned band, and the majority of unsigned bands are absolute rubbish, make no mistake. Again, this is your chance to present yourselves as professionals, so take it, as said before, a band on Spotify looks professional.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Rehan125

Tried Bandcamp. My only complaint with Bandcamp was people could listen to the entire album for free without ever having to download.
Rehan125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: