Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Iommianity

Splitting my pick up output.

I heard about the Teisco Spectrum 5 recently, which had a stereo output that lets you send the low strings out to one source and the high strings to another. I've never heard or come across this feature myself. I was thinking it might be cool to have my low strings fed through a dirty amp and my highs through effects, and I was wondering if there was a way to do this with conventional pickups and switches.
Iommianity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Tallwood13

I have taken a bunch of pickups apart and with conventional pickups it's impossible. All you got going out of a regular say humbucker is 5 wires.

north start
north finish
south finish
south start
bare - ground
with a pickup like that there is way more going on in it.

but that is a really cool idea for the tiesco. This one pickup a guy is trying to do a kickstarter for is half bass half electric pickup.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iommianity
I heard about the Teisco Spectrum 5 recently, which had a stereo output that lets you send the low strings out to one source and the high strings to another. I've never heard or come across this feature myself. I was thinking it might be cool to have my low strings fed through a dirty amp and my highs through effects, and I was wondering if there was a way to do this with conventional pickups and switches.

The old Spectrum actually had six pickups, three of which were assigned to the three lower strings, three to the higher strings.

Conventional single coil and humbucker pickups cover the entire six-string grouping.

It's possible, however, to do this in any combination with piezo and other pickups (particularly MIDI-style hexaphonic pickups) that individualize the strings. For example, the Variax guitars (which have piezo saddles) handle each string separately, enabling a wide variety of alternate tunings to be applied to these strings with no string tension variation.

Run into MIDI controllers, such as the old (discontinued) Axon 100, you can not only separate the strings individually, but offered 12 different playing "zones", which allowed your guitar to be multi-timbral.

dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Roc8995
electron herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iommianity

Yes, several ways. The quick and dirty way would be to remove pole pieces from two strat pickups. You can pull the low 3 from one pickup and the high 3 from another. From there you just need a selector switch (or blend pot, independent volumes, whatever) and the stereo wiring. You'll probably want to plug the holes with a dowel of some sort, just to keep the pickup integrity. Many strat pickups have captive pole pieces that are fairly easy to poke out from the back, or you could crack them with a chisel/pick and pull the pieces out if they're wedged in too tight.

More dignified (and involved) ways would include re-winding a pickup, removing part of the magnet of a humbucker, or cutting a new pickguard and angling the pickups to alter their magnetic window. Even just lowering one side of the pickup severely might work well enough for what you're doing, and would be minimally invasive. I can see it working decently on a strat - just pull one of the mounting screws out, maybe tape the pickup down to the base of the cavity. It would require some experimentation but you wouldn't be actively breaking anything that way.

Anyway, there are several ways to skin this cat, including some software or breakout-box type units (some mentioned above), but the easiest way that I can think of is simply to prevent the pickup from 'seeing' half of the strings. The stereo wiring is trivial, we can help you with that if you want.

Try something new

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
dspellman

Simply pulling pole pieces won't duplicate those pickups -- the windings are still out there in the wind. There are custom winders who will build you those three-pole pickups, but you're not going to get the same results by modifying existing pickups.

There ARE guitars out there (besides the Tiesco) that have added bass pickups. These are usually extended-range guitars rather than standard 6's, and there are a few guitar builders who've either wound their own or had a custom winder build pickups to do basically what you're proposing. Mostly, however, these offer a different EQ availability and not a separate output.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Roc8995
electron herder

No, of course it won't duplicate them precisely, but they will produce largely the same effect for the cost of a cheap set of strat pickups. Plus, it actually satisfies the original question which asked if it could be done with conventional parts. There are plenty of options if you're willing to spend a bunch of money, but I don't think that was the idea here.

Try something new

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
runriot_z28

The Seymour Duncan "Vintage Rails" pickup has 3 strings on one winding and the other three on the other, so there's an off the shelf pickup you can use for this. SD doesn't really mention that feature in their literature, but I discovered it when I wired it up.
runriot_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: