Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

peavey valveking 2x12 cabinet swap

hello gents, ive been busy the last couple days turning my Peavey VK112 into a 212 combo. really wasnt to hard to do. i went on kijiji and found someone selling a Peavey stereo chorus 400 2x12 amp case. i figured it was a decent fit for what i was looking for. the cabinet was rewrapped with black vinyl, and the guy did a pretty crappy job. i also had 2 celestion vintage 30 speakers i wanted to put to good use.

there were a couple minor setbacks like the preamp tubes were in theway of the wooden part the speakers are mounted to.which caused me to have to set the chassis back about half inch creating a lip in the back.
aswell as the amp chassis itself was 5 inches 2 short creating a 5 inch gap when looking at the front.

Now onto the good stuff!!

peavey Stereo chorus 400 2x12 cabinet shell

got the Peavey VK 112 chassis inplace

had to drill 4 holes in the top to mount the amp. you can see the lip i mentioned earlier. aswell as the crappy vinyle rewrapping job the prevous owner did to it

this is why there is a lip in the back! damn tubes :/

piece of wood covered in black vinyl and the peavey logo plate from the VK112 fits nicely in the hole beside the amp chassis

got the jack inplace, now it can be used with other amps heads aswell

i also had to lower the bottom shelf on my desk to get it to fit properly

and no ....the finished product

hope you guys enjoyed it

any ideas how to cover up the gap in the back? im stumped and not sure what i should do to it, was thinking some kind of plastic 1/4 round trim? or tile flooring trim?
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Celestion G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
THE Saint Jimmy
Resident Electrician

Not Bad, man! What made you do this vs just getting an extension cab, just curious? That way you could have the resale value of the amp, a 1X12 when you want it, and the extension cab for when you want it.

But I am a lover of all sorts of projects, and I think you did just fine. Do you like it? What speakers did you put in there?
THE Saint Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

this amp can still be used as an extended cab with any other head.... the main reason i did this was to save space in my room,and i like doing projects like this.. i dont think the resale value of a valve king 112 would be all that high.

im also tring to figure out a way to get it to work as a 1x12 cab aswell but dont know how to do that.
i installed 2 celestion G12 vintage 30 speakers.
am also looking to re wrap it in tolex once i get the supplies. that way i can cover the gap at the top with some half inch 1/4 round trim and tolex over that so you wouldnt see it
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Celestion G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice

Last edited by Rocketface2112 : 03-25-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: