Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Pacifica Ocean

Not so generic Strat build

I'm building my own guitar from parts for a few reasons but have never done anything like it before and need some information specifically for the guitar I want to build.

I'm only 15 so I've not had much experience in doing stuff like this but I'd like to get into tech work so I want to do it all myself.

I want a guitar for the type of music I play which has a suitable aesthetic too. I play grunge/punk rock but also use a lot of delay, chorus and reverb for clean shoegazey sections.

I own a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Jagstang already (I'm pretty lucky tbh) but I want a guitar that feels a little more like my own as I'm not interested in copying any one elses' tone- I want my own sound.

The Les Paul is a great guitar but too many people have one and the Jagstang is too nice for me to bash about on stage etc. Ik guitar are there to be played and all that but it's very precious to me and I don't want to ruin it.

So I bought a cheap Squier Strat for 60 quid which I'm basing the build off of.
I'm using the body from that as a basis but everything else needs purchasing, it's a pink Bullet Strat body with chips in so I'm not bothered about smashing it up a little .

I have no idea what to get -

I'm set on a tortoise shell one humbucker pickguard, I want a plug in and play guitar rather than one with loads of tones.

I'm not sure on pickups at all other than it needs to be one humbucker sized and suitable for the type of music I play (above)

I want a killswitch as well

But I also need advice on wiring and a neck.

Suggestions?

Visit my guitar blog! http://oscarjacksault.wordpress.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.

Pacifica Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Tallwood13

the wiring seymour duncan has you covered , killswitches are very easy to wire...BUT.. this will save you a lot of hassle, get the shadow killswitch volume.

wiring for the most part
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

pickups wise it depends on your amp and personal needs. If anything for pickups see what your favorite musicians use.

getting a real tortoise shell pickguard is really difficult because the material it's made out of is extremely flammable so for that I suggest this site
http://axetremecreations.com/

talent sold separately
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
ThunderPunk

Get a Duncan P-Rail with a triple shot ring and you'll have everything you need in the pickup department.

As for a neck, I'd suggest you should get a warmoth baritone conversion neck. Should make for a nice fat sounding rock machine with a ton of options yet having a minimalist approach as far as looks go.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Squier Jazzmaster Vint Mod. Peavey 6505, Crate BV-120H, Sovtek MIG-100, Peavey Ultra 112, Egnater Tweaker 40H.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
ad_works

seems do-able. measure your neck tenon carefully as not all aftermarket ones are the same. and you'll need the neck to fit snug to the neck pocket. be careful when you drill your holes as well. lot's of folks screw this one up. you only get one chance otherwise it's drill a bigger hole and plug it up time.

pickguard wise go with tortaloid. each sheet is unique and (imo) looks way better then the printed ones which (imo) look like cheap floor tile.

pickup wise it's hard to beat duncan's.

Last edited by ad_works : 06-30-2015 at 06:28 PM.
ad_works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Tony Done

Your attitude is just the same as mine.

The P-rail, as suggested would be an interesting choice. I know you want simple, but switching between P90 and hot humbucker would be fun.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Tallwood13

The only thing I liked about a P-rail was the wiring possibilities seymour duncan posted. I plan to put that 12 tone wiring into a personal guitar I'll never sell. I had a set of p-rails in a Jackson DK2M and it wasn't hot enough. Accentuating on both coils you'll get buzz and it may drive you nuts playing punk or hard rock with the distortion if you wanted the single coil and p90 sounds. The guitar I had them in was extremely bright, all maple with an alder body too if it answers a question and the friend wanted 9-42 strings .. so stainless steel ernie balls were used stupidly but the friends pretty tone deaf so he didn't care.

doing the three sound wiring (series, split , parallel) the hotter the pickup the more it makes sense.

try Duncan designed pickups first, a sets about 60$ so you'll have a spare after. Perhaps the HB-103? they are very high output and can get three distinct tones. But anything in the high output selection on the seymour duncan page I'd suggest... or ..

remember the HB-103 is an import variant of the distortion , nothing wrong with Dimarzio, lace or anything passive but I just have the best experience with duncans.

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 06-30-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica Ocean
show

I'm only 15 so I've not had much experience in doing stuff like this but I'd like to get into tech work so I want to do it all myself.
show

So I bought a cheap Squier Strat for 60 quid which I'm basing the build off of.
I'm using the body from that as a basis but everything else needs purchasing, it's a pink Bullet Strat body with chips in so I'm not bothered about smashing it up a little .

I have no idea what to get -

I'm set on a tortoise shell one humbucker pickguard, I want a plug in and play guitar rather than one with loads of tones.

I'm not sure on pickups at all other than it needs to be one humbucker sized and suitable for the type of music I play (above)

I want a killswitch as well

But I also need advice on wiring and a neck.

Suggestions?

Squiers are great platforms to learn mods.

I'm assuming the neck is in good shape. I'm bringing this up because the Bullet's neck has a bad rep (non-working truss rod, fret buzz, etc.) If it's in good shape, you can definitely have fun experimenting with various PUs and wiring.

Don't smash up the Pink body.

If you're based in the US, you can check out GuitarFetish for some inexpensive upgrades for the hardware, PUs, and electronics.

BTW, joined this site at 12 and did my 1st Partscaster then.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG Amps!
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: