Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
dinik

No volume and tone control on Emg 81 Pickup

Hey guys. I installed a Emg 81 pickup. However when I play it through my Spider iv 15 amp it does nothing. The volume is turned up full and tone as well. I double checked the wiring to the jack and it is fine. The battery is working cause when I use rocksmith volume goes through it but i can't control the volume. I used the one volume one tone and one pickup diagram. But alas...I don't know why the volume won't control and nothing goes through my amp. The amp is fine cause I was using it the day before and it works with my other guitar. Every bit of wiring is fine. I tried different pots as well. Any solution?
dinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
PiercedBand

Well the Spider IV is your first problem. Lol anyways can you post pictures of all the wiring you did? Another set of eyes could catch something
Old 01-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

are you using 25k pots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
Tallwood13

if you are confident in your soldering make sure the contacts aren't touching the walls of the control cavity , there is probably shielding paint which helps passives reduce hum. What this means is if it touches it will not work properly.

secondly of course have a stereo jack. 25K pots aren't important, it's more the less to do with volume control if i remember right

cold solder joints, loose connections and all come into play if you're new to soldering, we've all been there before.

you can test an 81 without a battery which is the good news, it won't sound as good but you'll at least know if you have signal.

if I was to guess this is either an issue with the wiper (middle contact) going to the input jacks tip (hot lead/ signal in).

here's some active diagrams that I know work. Best of all I mention the beloved 18v mod that makes a regular EMG 81/85/89 to name a few sound awesome like the X series EMG
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
dinik

Thanks for the replys. However the pickups are solderless. They involve no soldering. Either way, I've already decided to send it back and exchange it for a Seymour Duncan black winter. Thanks anyway.
dinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

You really shouldn't be wasting money on top of the range pickups when you have a Line 6 Spider, get your money back if you can and put it towards a new amp.

Anything but an old Marshal MG is better than a Spider, especially for metal.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Ibanez GRG 7221
Squier Stratocaster (modified)

Peavey Vypyr 30.
Currently saving for a valve head

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: