Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #21
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

I just finished another "interesting" one.

specs.
back, sides and neck - Honduras Mahogany
Top - Sitka spuce
Scale length. Fan fret. 655mm long and 640 short
fretboard and bridge ebony
Tunners - Schaller
ivorioid bindings
offset soundhole
cherry shaped side vents
asymmetrical body
finish - true oil.
artificially aged.
5 frets scalloped

Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 PM   #22
gtrjojo
UG Newbie

heres a hand crafted

set me back about 1600.It scaled to a les paul. It's a mahgony solid body glued on neck a cocobola (Brazilian hard wood)frett board 24 jumbo frett.It's a fast neck.Evolution pick ups with a Pro Track DP188 in middle.A schaller tremelo.Schaller tunning keys.The knobs are the same wood as the neck is made out of.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtrjojo : 03-01-2005 at 10:18 AM.
gtrjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #23
gtrjojo
UG Newbie

Heres another hand crafted that I have

This one started out as an Aria pro 2.But after a few dive bombs the wood split on me where the tremelo sat.So had my guy that builds my guitars for me build me a solid maple body.Later he built me a birds eye maple 24 jumbo frett board.It had a new paint job recently I don't have a pic yet,but it's a grey sunburst style paint job.It's eguipt with a emg nk and a seymore duncan full shred.Both pots are vol.I also put in a floyd rose type tremelo.by bc rich.I originaly bought the guitar for like 200.The work ended up to be about 600 for the body and the neck 300 a piece.tremelo was about 150. Pick-ups were about 40 for the emg and 60 for the full shred.I had this guitar now going on for 18 years and it's one of my favorites.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtrjojo : 02-02-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
gtrjojo
UG Newbie

Heres my last one

I had found a esp neck for about 80 with red schaller locking tuners.My guy said he a body that would fit the neck since it's a short scale 22 frett.I put on new schaller locking tuners on that were 80.The new ones are dull silver colour not pictured.He put on the wilson floating bridge,seymore duncon sinlge coils.Toggles for controling the pick-ups instead of a 3 way toggle.1 vol.The total cost was about 600.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtrjojo : 02-02-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #25
Liberal-Jesus
Liberation Theology

I was using my squier as a practice body for trying different things, like painting and staining. Eventually i started to miss the feel of a strat type guitar so i decided to bring her out of retirement. I had just stained it when the wood started to crack a little, so i knew i was going to get a factory finish from the beggining. I eventually decided to try a relic finish, and i am very happy with the results.
Attached Images

Last edited by Liberal-Jesus : 02-04-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Liberal-Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #26
Liberal-Jesus
Liberation Theology

Im really sorry but I am not good with computers and could not get all my pictures in one post. Anyways heres another...
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2005, 12:27 AM   #27
Liberal-Jesus
Liberation Theology

And one of the back....
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #28
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist

Just a tiny change - SD Hotrails in the Bridge, and I took the rest of the pickup covers off (they used to be white).

Yay for my |_|13212 1337 /\/\0|]|]3|] 9|_|!7412!

Oh, it was a Danelectro Danoblaster Hearsay...

Listen to me play my guitar at PureVolume: The Solo Project
GuitarN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #29
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

So I know I promised to have sound clips of my prototype guitar that I posted pics of. Well it's gonna be a while before you get to hear it because I took it to a concert tonight and my favorite musician in the history of the world AKA Stuart Davis, tried out my guitars and he liked it. A LOT! So much infact that my prototype is now owned by Stuart Davis so when you do hear sound clips of this guitar it will be on his next album or (which I think will be his 10th CD). I'm so excited right now. I didn't plan on unloading the guitar. The thing didn't even have a tag so stole a slip of paper from the suggestion box and the venue, wrote out a tag and told him to glue it in with some elmers glue.

So anyway, here is another pic of my latest creation being played by it's new owner.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #30
sven_frank
King of Swing

Here is my number one:

Buildet in 1994.

Maple neck with gotoh tuners from a charvel i bought cheap.

The body is made of 40mm acrylic plate. The outline i made with a bandsaw, then filed and sandet at least polished. The neckpocket and the pockets for the electronic i made with a milling maschine.

The pickup is an EMG 85.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #31
sven_frank
King of Swing

and here just finished my number 2:

I bought this "noname" guitar for about 25 Euro at a local musicstore.
It has an set mahagoney neck with rosewood fingerboard, alder top (30mm) and plywood back (10mm)

What iīve done:

Changed the pickups to schaller vintage humbuckers and added 2 mini toggles for coil cut.
The stock hardtail bridge was placed wrong (no intonation possible), so i routed out the body and changed it to a tremolo bar.
Sandet the black paint off the neck and laminated the headstock with alder.

here a closeup of the headstock

Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #32
Mack56
mackabre

Ok, i bought the kit that spawned this guitar a couple years ago..until last week, it looked like this.

A week of coat after coat or white paint:

And After the new pickguard:

And another pic, for the hell of it, another pic:

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Mack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:46 AM   #33
Aioua
UG's Original Pedal Maker

Location: Less than a mile from Hendrix. Seriously. I live in his hometown. He's buried down the street!
Here's my girl, the full story can be found here

Love 'er!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:06 AM   #34
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

Well I finished this guitar, strung it up played it, got the action and intonation set and was going to make a truss rod adjustment and snap!!! the head broke off of the truss rod, so I'm gonna have to take it apart and rip off the fret board so that I can replace the truss rod but I figured I would take a couple pics anyway.

specs.
back, sides and neck - bubinga
Top - Sitka engleman hybrid spruce (sound like German spruce)
Scale length. 640mm
fretboard and bridge ebony
Tunners - Schaller
bindings- black fiber
finish - true oil.

The bird and branch inlay is abalon, east indian rosewood, Maple, conch, Mother of Pearl, and african blackwood. This inlay was completely from scratch. If you want to see how I ground the shell and stuff look here

The headstock inlay is some kind of rock. Don't know what but I thought it looked good.

The guitar sounded good, but I have really liked all the guitars that I have built with this body shape and bracing pattern.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #35
alexcjalali
UG's Jimmy Page

well it isnt much special but

amp pedals, etc

guitar

i added a gibson burst bucker pro at the bridge and a SD '59 at the neck

then put coil split on the 59 and added this push/pull on the volume knob for it

the end
alexcjalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #36
~hypermonkey~
UG Board King

Well I may as well post mine on here: I built it from parts of ebay. It ended up costing lss than Ģ100. It doesnt sound to bad either!!

And my custom headstock!!

Looking for people to record sound clips for UG, click here if interested...
~hypermonkey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #37
jcash

Here is mine... I built this guitar in about a month.
The carving is of a Eagle and the wavey things are music notes (incase you cant see them)

Last edited by jcash : 05-06-2005 at 11:36 AM.
jcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #38
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.

Step 1 of working on old Squeir p-bass, adding ghetto-ass straplocks. I had to drill a new hole into the bass (the old holes were WAY too big for some reason...) and now it works nice and doesn't hit me in the head when I play at weird angles.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #39
unitedkid
Keeley Mod Spammer

i remember years ago, saving up from summer jobs....lawn work, vinyl siding, dishwashing. at first i was saving up to get a peavey wolfgang.

i walked up to the music store...behind the glass stood a cardboard cutout of evh, a cream white wolfgang standard and a 5150 amp. yea...in my "pimple faced" years....i thought the "5150 was the holy grail of amps and the wolfgang was the key to the kingdom".

unfortunatly the store clerk was out to lunch...therefore, i had to wait for 45 minutes. my buddy grabbed me by the arm and said.."dude lets kill time at that music store over there"....so of we went.

it mainly dealt in hamers and trace elliot amps....nothing really perked my interest..."archtop archtop archtop....archtop...martin.."
and then there is was, a mint condition teal green metallic strat...850 with case. (looking back....i spent too much on it)....i thought to myself, "mehhhh a time killer..." 45 minutes later, my wallet was thinner and i was playing it at the basement of my house. this is my tone...."i found my sound!!" i proclaimed....2 years after the purchase, the single coils were in my closet....and then came the setup...(check the "signature")

i wanted the neck to sound paf....but i wanted it retain some strat sound....so the coil tap and seymour duncan 59 came in.

i wanted the bridge to have some crunch and bite...naturally the duncan distortion soon followed.

a year goes by:

i wanted a twist on the tele sound....so the guitar tech wire tapped the distortion pickup for phase, series, parallel with another coil tap. said to me..."alright, bridge in phase, neck in single coil mode, selector in middle...telecaster".

two months go by.....wired back up the tbx midboost.

it's been the same for 7 years now.....wow, my strat......you don't sound like one at all.....hahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmurderoticax
I just got a line 6 flextone head and a spider II body.
unitedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #40
elpunk

JK2 with bigsby

Well, hope this counts. I bought this one about two months ago now, to me it's the guitar i've always wanted, but it lacked something, a vibrato. So I just bought a 80 bucks hand made american bigsby and started making holes. The first time I tried it(you can see some holes appart from those of the former tailpiece and where the strings go through) that ended up messing the neck a little hehe, too little tension. I relocated the vibrato further back and actually centered it and now it's all good.

One tricky thing about bigsby's is that, unlike vintage style tremolos, bigsby ones don't retract all the way by themselves, so you got to help it a little.

Next i'm thinking of getting a meaner pick up for the bridge(or maybe one of those gibson PAF's) but I'm going to wait until I get an amp.

lol, cool story about your axe unitedkid.

elpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: