Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #81
BK202
The Shape of Jazz To Come

You know what the hipster thing around here is now? Dub music and Dubstep. Is this a problem for any of you? I'm glad they didn't get to post-rock yet.

And for some reason people keep talking to me about MGMT, Crystal Castles, and Vampire
Weekend. I'm starting to be afraid that I'm looking like a hipster.

http://barelyhumanstoleyourboyfriend.blogspot.com/

RIP Troy Davis.
BK202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #82
punkforlife93
Call me Jed.

It could be worse. Everyone in my area listens to Taylor Swift.

Bandcamp | Facebook | Deadformat | Last.fm
punkforlife93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #83
lookpizza
Party Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkforlife93
I drunk grape Kool-Aid in boxer shorts and listened to Oh, Apollo!

Guess I'm not cool enough for this thread.

Cool enough I suppose.. this morning, I drank $.50 cola and listened to Tigers Jaw
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #84
TasianSensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkforlife93
It could be worse. Everyone in my area listens to Taylor Swift.

I actually enjoy Taylor Swift. She has a pretty good voice, and good pop songwriting skills.
TasianSensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #85
lookpizza
Party Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasianSensation
I actually enjoy Taylor Swift. She has a pretty good voice, and good pop songwriting skills.

I want proof she actualy writes her own songs, before you say she has "good songwriting skills"
Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #86
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

And pop songs are NOT difficult to write. Follow Pachelbel's Canon, and you're basically guaranteed a theoretical Top 40 hit.
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
nashawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #87
lookpizza
Party Hard

I could write a great pop song in literally 2 minutes if I had a major studio behind me covering the mistakes in my voice and making the music for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #88
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

I regularly sell people the rights to songs I wrote in 10-15 minutes all the time.
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #89
lordofthefood1
A blank survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK202
You know what the hipster thing around here is now? Dub music and Dubstep. Is this a problem for any of you? I'm glad they didn't get to post-rock yet.

And for some reason people keep talking to me about MGMT, Crystal Castles, and Vampire

We must be like half a year ahead of you, cos dubstep was the thing before this year. It isn't like they're ruining post-rock or anything, but it is weird when they're talking about the basic bands as if they've been listening to them forever (idk, explosions, sigur ros, mogwai, etc.) . As for that other genre, it depends on where I am. At home, people tend to like vampire weekend and mgmt because they're popular and catchy. Since there are so many people at uni, it is hard to put clear lines on it. There is a big cycle of, "I've been listening to MGMT since they were called the Management," "this band is so catchy," "this band is weird now," and, "They released the next album and people finally realized that the band isn't just weird, they're fucked up.."

I'll be honest, I like (that one MGMT song that is a single (the one that was in FIFA 09)). Would I go to see them? No. Actually, MGMT came here sometime within last year and that is when I heard that whole cycle of comments.

On a tangent: people get so mad about other people liking their music. I can maybe see about it affecting shows--I know I get pissed when a bunch of drunk frat boys are moshing during every song--but it isn't that huge of a deal. If the band is 'that' good live, I'll deal with the assholes and see them.
lordofthefood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #90
lordofthefood1
A blank survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookpizza
I want proof she actualy writes her own songs, before you say she has "good songwriting skills"

I want proof that Lady GaGa writes her own songs.

Well, that proof doesn't exist and never will exist..

That whole niche of girls singing pop songs has many musicians who can actually play guitar and piano, which means that they can write their own songs. Do they write every song? Probably not, they're pop stars and their labels tell them what to do, but that doesn't mean they cannot write.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #91
BK202

I have to say I agree, but around here (Chicagoland Area) , hipsters tend to like to take genres and start to populate them with crappy bands they start. Like by just scratching the surface of a genre and doing absolutely nothing differently. So I fear when they start to like genres I like.

RIP Troy Davis.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #92
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthefood1
I want proof that Lady GaGa writes her own songs.

Well, that proof doesn't exist and never will exist..
]

The proof DOES actually exist. She's been a songwriter for years. She's one of the only pop stars out there who writes her own stuff.

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #93
TasianSensation

I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift was a songwriter for other people before getting signed. And if it's so easy to write a top 40 hit, why haven't you? It'd be an easy way to get your name out, make lots of money, and then focus on what you really love to do. (not really directed at anyone, just throwing it out there)
TasianSensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #94
lordofthefood1
A blank survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
The proof DOES actually exist. She's been a songwriter for years. She's one of the only pop stars out there who writes her own stuff.

It is a snide comment against lookpizza. The same thing can be applied to Swift...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #95
I.O.T.M
Cescual Deviant

The hip things to listen to here at the moment are Dubstep and Grime, which is a shame as I like Grime.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #96
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK202

You need to play some hipster deterrent at them. Works like a charm.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #97
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift was a songwriter for other people before getting signed. And if it's so easy to write a top 40 hit, why haven't you? It'd be an easy way to get your name out, make lots of money, and then focus on what you really love to do. (not really directed at anyone, just throwing it out there)

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Even if I was the best songwriter for top 40 in the world, I'd still need the right connections, the right artist to sing my songs, etc, etc. It's easy to write the song, but the process is monotonous and easy to falter whilst going through.

And it's obvious it was directed at me, seeing as I'm the only one who said anything about it.

As I said earlier, I make a couple of bucks here and there by writing songs for people. Maybe, eventually, I'll write for someone who has big connections.

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!

Last edited by nashawa : 07-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #98
lookpizza
Party Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthefood1
It is a snide comment against lookpizza. The same thing can be applied to Swift...

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #99
punkforlife93
Call me Jed.

Quote:

This is the most ignorant comment I've seen in a while. Besides what Nash said, you're assuming that he, or anyone for that matter, WANTS to write a top 40 song. Almost everything I hear on the radio (excluding Regina Spektor, Foo Fighters and Lady Gaga) is lacking in soul. Why would someone want to help that grow more prevailant?

And I'm extremely sorry if I'm coming off as a butthurt hippie here, it's just how I feel.

Bandcamp | Facebook | Deadformat | Last.fm
punkforlife93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #100
BK202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianyx
You need to play some hipster deterrent at them. Works like a charm.

But I do. More and different ones pop up to talk to me about jean shorts and cycling. i'm sick of it.

RIP Troy Davis.

Rate This Thread: