Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
SOADisdabest
Great Job!

To Lament The Fractal (Prog/Experimental) (GP5, GP4) C4C

Not quite sure about this one, I'm pretty happy with it at the moment but I'm sure there's room for improvement. C4C.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 To Lament The Fractal.gp5 (72.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: gp4 To Lament The Fractal.gp4 (44.2 KB, 59 views)
SOADisdabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Danul454

I really liked it, you did a nice job of switching up the tempo, time signatures and instruments. You used a bunch of really strange time signatures, (which I really like) and you made them work nicely. As for critique, I'd say that you may want to take off the let ring starting around bar 29 'cuz there's so much going on that it all kinda mashes together and it's hard to hear the individual instruments, it's sorta just like a big block of noise. However, listening to the instruments individually, I can tell they would all do a great job of working together. Also, the tapping thing that starts at bar 59, for the first time it plays, I think it should like fade in or maybe have another bar before it fade in, but when it's just all sudden like it was it just sounds really abrupt.

Overall, nice job with this piece, you did some of my favorite things in music justice. Keep up the good work.

Also, for the future, you may want to put in "markers" (the yellow flag button) so people can tell you how each individual section is, rather than "the beginning" or something like that, they can be more specific.
Danul454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
nightale

Oh man... this is one of my personal favorite among UG users' post in the last days. I don't know why. The kind of feeling at the intro is really reaching something inside me and I love it. Sounds a lot like Opeth with a twist of Porcupine Tree. This is the kind of atmosphere Michael Akerfeldt would do.

Bar 17 is amazing. Too bad it doesn't come back later in the song. This is the kind of riff you can use more than once without overdoing it. It reminds me of Opeth's Forest of October riff. (around 1:05)

2 crits : I really don't like the accelerating part from 25-28. The following riff is not the best of the song maybe because of one thing the "let ring" (it sounds so much better to me without)

3 words for your song : prog (time signatures are really a good point of the song), uncommon and addictive.

I'd say an easy 8.5/10 and maybe 9/10 if you remove the let ring thing at the middle riff and at the ending's tapping part.
nightale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
StringAssassin
Take sht? Make it gold.

Good:

The intro has to best one of the best things I've ever heard done with MIDI Instruments.
You play around with many time signatures and make great use of every instrument that's playing. The transition from bar 52-53 feels very jarring but, the riff starting at Bar 53 is amazing and tangled my hands for a few minutes. The third bar of the tapping riff sound out of place with the vibrato before it.

Bad:

Only thing that doesn't really fit my tastes is the use of REALLY odd time signatures, like 11/8, 19/16, 12/8. I know were just making it fit but I feel like if you could have taken the time, you could fit all of that under 1 time signature.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
bloodshed344
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringAssassin
Good:

The intro has to best one of the best things I've ever heard done with MIDI Instruments.
You play around with many time signatures and make great use of every instrument that's playing. The transition from bar 52-53 feels very jarring but, the riff starting at Bar 53 is amazing and tangled my hands for a few minutes. The third bar of the tapping riff sound out of place with the vibrato before it.

Bad:

Only thing that doesn't really fit my tastes is the use of REALLY odd time signatures, like 11/8, 19/16, 12/8. I know were just making it fit but I feel like if you could have taken the time, you could fit all of that under 1 time signature.

Bolded part just doesn't make sense. All of the parts with different time signatures sound fine and you can't put a rhythm into a new time signature without changing the sound. And 12/8 isn't odd...

to the rest of the thread,
I think all the let ring parts sound great and I'm using the crappy Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

Last edited by bloodshed344 : 06-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.
bloodshed344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
StringAssassin
Take sht? Make it gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodshed344
All of the parts with different time signatures sound fine and you can't put a rhythm into a new time signature without changing the sound. And 12/8 isn't odd...(Sorry about that. I was just typing them as I was looking at the score)

They sound perfect but look weird to read and may be hard to count if you lose place.

I guess it's just me.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
bloodshed344
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringAssassin
They sound perfect but look weird to read and may be hard to count if you lose place.

I guess it's just me.

That's the fun of it.

But nah, it's not just you. It's kind of a guitar pro thing, but I bet in a real song you would never notice it.
bloodshed344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: