Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
wizards?
Pimpin' Ain't Parise

Location: That mythical place that all those Replacements and Hold Steady songs are about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
Ah, Colohue, I see you have two fiction series that have graced the front pages of UG.

But is this your thread?

I mean, just look at the facts. I have a thread, that happens to be called the ONLY Writer's Thread. Just sayin'.

Don't poke the bear...
wizards? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

I like it. I haven't written much in a while but I do love creative writing. I may post my deviant art account...but then all my writing is rubbish so...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
Ah, Colohue, I see you have two fiction series that have graced the front pages of UG.

But is this your thread?

I mean, just look at the facts. I have a thread, that happens to be called the ONLY Writer's Thread. Just sayin'.

And your accrued wealth from writing?

Or maybe you could write the next of the official UG stories? Or the Hugh Gee write-up? Or the how to for the widgets?

Nah, no thread. No time; busy writing for a living.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #24
PeZ546
Galactic Cuttlefish

Ok, let's get some discussion going or something....

Has anyone ever attempted Automatic Writing? (Also known as Free Writing or Surrealist Automatism) For those of you who don't know, It's when you write whatever comes into your head without looking at what you're doing.

I tried to write a play using it once, but it turned out fucking weird so I binned it.

Play Battlefield 4 on PS4? Add me plz: PeZ_IMMoRTAL

Follow me on Twitter - I promise I wont stalk the hell out of you

Last edited by PeZ546 : 07-05-2010 at 04:21 PM.
PeZ546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #25
Colohue
UG Writer

Yeah.

No depth at all; didn't like it.

I audio logged it.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_sound35
Someone write a book about foxes...Please?

Also, I tend to use dashes (or hyphens?) a lot when I'm writing stuff for school (analytical essays or whatever). What is the difference between a dash and a hyphen (as the look similar), and how does one avoid overusing them?
A hyphen connect two words. Dashes have a lot of uses, but I think what you're referring to is the em dash, which you can read about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#Em_dash
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colohue
And your accrued wealth from writing?

Or maybe you could write the next of the official UG stories? Or the Hugh Gee write-up? Or the how to for the widgets?

Nah, no thread. No time; busy writing for a living.

Just statin' the facts.

*quietly goes to change the title, dragging his feet behind him*

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
PeZ546
Galactic Cuttlefish

Quote:
Yeah.

No depth at all; didn't like it.

I audio logged it.

I know what you mean.

When I attempted it I had just finished reading that chapter in Ulysses where it's presented in dramatic form. So I was all like "Ooh, surrealism...gotta get me a piece o' that!"

I wrote for about half a page, read it back and thought "Oh god, that's terrible"

Might try it again sometime and see If I can produce anything better.

Play Battlefield 4 on PS4? Add me plz: PeZ_IMMoRTAL

Follow me on Twitter - I promise I wont stalk the hell out of you
PeZ546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #29
Colohue
UG Writer

Everybody has different strengths when it comes to writing. I prefer the in-depth descriptive stuff.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #30
MH400
‭‭

Quote:
*cough cough*

UG Writer's Group numero uno.

Fancy seeing you in here
MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #31
GettintheLedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZ546

Has anyone ever attempted Automatic Writing? (Also known as Free Writing or Surrealist Automatism) For those of you who don't know, It's when you write whatever comes into your head without looking at what you're doing.

I tried to write a play using it once, but it turned out fucking weird so I binned it.

I found it useful (once) as a springboard to something else but certainly not as a finished piece or even as a draft.
GettintheLedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #32
cubs
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZ546

i have. i once went to some experimental literature course and we tried it. its sort of fun doing it every once in a while for yourself, but really not a lot of potential for pieces of literature. i mean, who wants to read pages of people's mindless writing? chances are you'll get some interesting images/ideas which you may be able to use in the future. its fun, i love some surrealism: cortŠzar, buŮuel, garcŪa lorca, some neruda, there's even some breton i like.

also, you tried writing a play like that? lol.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
Seattle_sound35
UG's Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
A hyphen connect two words. Dashes have a lot of uses, but I think what you're referring to is the em dash, which you can read about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#Em_dash

Thank you--that is interesting stuff.
Seattle_sound35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #34
The Contagen
UG Member

Are we allowed to post stories here? If so, I will....

Dear Dearest,

Reminisce with me. Do you remember when I asked of you to accompany me through those fields, those dream-like, mesmerizing fields? I was positive that you would deny my inquisition. I have a very shy personality about me, and I never did get along with anybody very well. I attribute this to the harsh ways I was treated by others. Growing up, I was antagonized by my peers for my appearance, actions, beliefs, and ethnicity. My parents were of no guidance either. They were divorced by the time my motherís nine months were up. This feeling of melancholy and loneliness has led me to do some terrible things that I regret.

I was awestruck. You accepted. Was this really happening? Never before had I had this feeling. Had I unlocked the door to some parallel universe where everything I knew and believed to be fact was upended? I ponder everyday in this chamber why you chose me, wishing you hadnít.

Did I come off as agitated for the duration of our stroll? I certainly was. I couldnít help but gaze aimlessly into your sapphire-blue eyes, paying little attention to what your mouth was trying to convey to me. You were a beautiful sight to behold. I still remember the exquisite dress you wore that day, the high-heels you adorned yourself with, and of course your dark hair that seemed like it could stretch down your back for miles. It was cold out that day. You must have felt as a glacier does. Do you recall when I held you in my arms to warm your body and soul?

Silly me.

Of course you donít.

I remember how you told me about your previous relationships. How he used to beat you like a dog. None of that mattered when you and I were together in that blessed, cursed field. But I was not satisfied. You deserved more. A grand gift for my love!

I didnít even notice your mouth agape from what I had to show you. What was usually even, flatland had merged into a mountain of maroon-shaded dolls, their shape not much different than you and me. Then the tears that seeped from your eyelids, like raindrops from the heavens. You were so happy, as was I. When you pushed me away and ran, screaming as loud as your vocal cords would let up, and I chased you, taking in every moment we shared as you bellowed out for help, I was sure that we were meant to be. I caught you, and to this day still wonder why you scurried, who you were calling out to. Remember how I shoved you down and ripped off your garments, how I struck you with all of my force? You and I truly shared a special moment together.

Perhaps you and I could continue this relationship. Where are you living now? Iíve heard by word of mouth that you are dwelling in a hard to reach place

With all the love in my heart,

[ILLEGIBLE]

This is a bit old, I'm not sure if I'm pleased with it now, but I was at the time. Critique?

Last edited by The Contagen : 07-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.
The Contagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #35
Okeefe Is Legit

I took AP Composition this past year and while I still do strongly dislike writing (maybe even more so now,) I learned how to write one hell of an essay.
Okeefe Is Legit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #36
Colohue
UG Writer

I'm trying to do a photo shoot to publicise my upcoming novel. UG are going to feature it on the front page

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

Old 07-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
Hendrix_fan_14
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizards?
I've got a couple ideas for a few different poems at the moment, but they all basically sound the same. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm more of an emotional writer, i.e. I write from emotions, not from the five senses, sort of a Sylvia Plath type of style. Like I said, I have a few ideas, and if you really want to hear some of it just let me know and I'll post away.

You should post them in the Songwriting & Lyrics forum brah. You'll generally get pretty good advice from the regulars there.

On the topic of experimental writing; I usually get a solid premise from doing it.
Hendrix_fan_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #38
Phoenix Reborn
Neighborhood Pyromaniac

I used to write a lot of war/ sci-fi stuff. People said I had a pretty good knack at it and had a similar style to Dan Abnett (author of the Gaunt's Ghosts series).

Gonna try and pick it up again and I'm signed up for a writing clas 1st semester this school year.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #39
dudetheman
Living Life

Location: Standin' up next to a mountain...choppin' it down with the edge of my hand
I like to write for entertainment but I'm not serious about it.

If anyone wants to see anything I've written, I have a poem or two and a piece of a drama that I re-wrote from someone else's plot (it was from a thread here on UG; their version was ridiculously horrible, so I re-did it.)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
dudetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #40
C. Limon
Climon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudetheman
I like to write for entertainment but I'm not serious about it.

If anyone wants to see anything I've written, I have a poem or two and a piece of a drama that I re-wrote from someone else's plot (it was from a thread here on UG; their version was ridiculously horrible, so I re-did it.)

Post away, comrade.

Rate This Thread: