Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Draken
waiting for the 6th world

The Beach Boys

I had a look around but couldn't spot a thread on them, so i've been listening to the beach boys for a while. Nice close harmony singing and some fairly nice music imo.
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
rocketfalls

Just "fairly nice"? Are we listening to the same band?!
rocketfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
maxteesdale

I love the Beach Boys. My favorite song is surfin USA. I went to a concert a few years back and they were so awsome.
maxteesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Aeolian Harmony

Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever. Top 10 easily... but their other stuff is kinda meh.
Aeolian Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
master
UG Board King

Yeah Pet Sounds is amazing. I love the Beach boys, but imo they would be infinitely times better if they're drummer was higher up in the mix. They're such a groovy band and loud drums would really accentuate that.

Willing to trade!
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Ghefly
Lurker

I think if the drums were louder they would drown out the amazing vocal harmonies and melodies which really give the beach boys character.
Ghefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
bassguy93

The Beach Boys are truly a great band. I'm 17 years old, and as a toddler, I grew up listening to them with my dad.
bassguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
vagelier
Getting High On Regular

Beach Boys are awesome. I bought the Pet Sounds album, any advice on a follow-up to buy?
vagelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
JammerZice
Waiting for the Wondering

I think their alright! Great band with some talent. Good Vibrations is my favorite though.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

i've been trying to improve the albums after Smile fell apart because a handful of them wind up being messes with a great song next to a terrible one and then another great song that was entirely left off of the album. i still love 'em, but i know that there are better albums hidden in there.

here's what i've got for 20/20, maybe someone can assemble it on their own and let me know how they feel about it? all of the songs on that i added on here were written and recorded at pretty much the right time. i think that only "I Just Got My Pay" is a little off.

show

i love "Do It Again" for those drums in the start, but i couldn't fit it in the album without starting with it, but i really just prefer starting with "Our Prayer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagelier
Beach Boys are awesome. I bought the Pet Sounds album, any advice on a follow-up to buy?

still want advice on this?

Today! is really great, mostly for the B side (except "Bull Sessions..."), and Surf's Up becomes just as good as Pet Sounds and Smile with a few minor tweaks (dropping "Student Demonstration Time" and adding "4th of July").

really, pretty much everything up to Love You is worth hearing, well maybe not 15 Big Ones. things get pretty terrible after that with the exception of a few songs.

oh god, i'm horrifyingly obsessed because this is what i do with my friday night.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
sublimeisgood

Beach Boys are awesome. Not into the surf rock era, but Smile - Pet Sounds is amazing. Albums with Carl lead such as Friends and 20-20 are also good but albums after Surf's Up sucked. Anyone getting Smile Sessions?
sublimeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

deciding which version i want to pre-order. i'd really like the one with the 7"s, but it is so expensive. i mean, i'd really like the one with the surf board, but y'know.

also, you are pretty wrong that everything after Surf's Up sucks. sure it might be little weaker than their best albums, but Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You all have some great tracks. if someone were to stop where you want 'em to, they'd miss out on "Big Sur" (though the original version is better than the California Saga version) and a whole bunch of great Dennis songs (seriously, if you don't like "Cuddle Up"...).
Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
sublimeisgood

Oh crap I screwed up on the Surf's Up thing. For some reason I thought Surf's Up was after Love You or something. I guess I meant to say MIU or Light Album.

About Smile Sessions... I'm sure the price will go down eventually. It was 170 but then it got bumped down to 140. Barnes and Noble has it for 128.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
guitarguitar7
Banned

They are great band
guitarguitar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimeisgood
Oh crap I screwed up on the Surf's Up thing. For some reason I thought Surf's Up was after Love You or something. I guess I meant to say MIU or Light Album.

About Smile Sessions... I'm sure the price will go down eventually. It was 170 but then it got bumped down to 140. Barnes and Noble has it for 128.

i'm hoping that the price drops a little before the release date because i put a pre-order in the other day.

while most of what i've heard from MIU Album and Light Album and Keepin' The Summer Alive is pretty terrible, the are a handful of tracks that are keepers. mostly "Endless Summer", i like to pretend that everything ends with that song because that really is where it should have stopped. Dennis was the soul and backbone and all that of the band.

i will put it out there that there is a very vocal group of fans, if a small one, that seem to really go for Light Album.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Born2Fun

i liked the beach boys better the first time... when they were called Chuck Berry
Born2Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

i liked Chuck Berry the first time he wrote the same song over and over for his entire career.

did that make any sense? no? well neither did yours, buddy.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #18
yogi_la_bearo

I really like Friends a lot. Is that one where you messed with the track listing? I don't really think there are any bad things on there, except for maybe Transcendental Meditation being sort of strange and being oddly tacked onto the end. It doesn't really make any sense being the closer, coming after Diamond Head, or fitting in with the rest of the album at all really. Everything is so sweet and pretty, and then there's that.
yogi_la_bearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

i've played around a little with Friends, but i haven't done too much with it other than sometimes swapping "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River" in instead of "Transcendental Meditation".

the album on its own stands pretty well, so outside of how it ends, i've got no major complaints other than maybe being a little on the short side. could have done with maybe one more track or maybe some of the songs could have been longer.

i really love "Be Here In The Morning".

could do without "Anna Lee, The Healer".

i'm listening to it now, if you can't tell.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
carlmarl
Banned

I've been listening to the Beach Boys since I was a kid thanks to my Dad. He has all the albums...you know when they were actually albums not CD's. I always thought the way they harmonize together was incredible.
carlmarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: