Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
minnis

Looking great! As for the headstock designs, i like a combination of the first two designs. The second one (the colour scheme) but in the position of the first would be awesome! The shadow looks great, and the logo looks better on the second one - but looks odd in that position. Put it where the first one is and it will be AWESOME!!!
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
C_Hart

Thanks! I like that idea. probably will end up as my final actually. and do you have any input on my last question? sorry, i need to get the drilling done today, so its sort of urgent
C_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #23
C_Hart

Got back from camp today, and thought I'd post the neck pics I promised weeks ago. Nothing done recently, because I haven't been home. Also, next year, I'm looking to do a travel service program with my camp, which comes at a pretty steep rate, and my parents wont pay for the whole thing. In order to pay for the trip, I'm looking to make and sell guitars. I know I lack experience, but if this guitar is any indicator, I should be able to do okay. First, though, does anyone have any advice for how to get into that? And if I'm just way too inexperienced, and I'll only get myself into a big mess, please tell me. Here are some neck pics-

Last edited by C_Hart : 08-21-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
C_Hart

I haven't done the headstock inlay yet, and some parts need cleaning up, and obviously, it still needs frets. My dad didn't want to do real inlay, but our concoction of epoxy and paint for the dots didn't work, so i'm thinking of buying some turquoise dots, and a matching piece of turquoise for headstock.

Last edited by C_Hart : 08-21-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #25
C_Hart

So after a long and frustrating painting process in which I had to sand all the way back down to wood due to cracks forming in the paint after being painfully close to my last coat, I'm on to the graphics portion. Tell me what you guys think so far:

this is about a full 1.5 hours working time, 3 hours total time (I'm working with a 5 mins on 5 mins observation and rest so I don't get carried away), so this part could take awhile. I could do it a lot faster, but speed is not worth a big ole smudge. The neck needs to be fretted, headstock painted, and nut installed, but it looks good. I tried fretting using a rubber mallet, but it didn't work, so my dad and I are going to make something like this using a slice of radius block. For dots we ended up going with hole punching blue tortoise shell picks and taking the 1/4" circle that it produces and gluing it into the spaces on the fretboard.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Kylianvb
doesn't like mondays.

Gotta say that art looks amazing, as does the whole build really. What paint are you using?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #27
timfoley
foofighter

wat is it? looks good, except for the part trailing off would have looked nice on the front

lyrics:
nightmare
i can't live without you
please don't go

listen to my songs?

Last edited by timfoley : 09-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
timfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
Rock&RollStar
I has Hendrix Obsession

this is going to look great, i may actually be salivating. cant wait to see this when it's done.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #29
lozlovesstrats
Avid Guitarist

I really like the body shape, nice and original. Your artwork looks nice too =]

My only question is, the carve in the bottom 'horn' seems odd... why would you have a carve there but not contour the heel?

Well lots of people list their gear... I just like my SMT tele =]

My Oak T-style build =]
lozlovesstrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #30
C_Hart

Thanks guys.

For the main color, I'm using dupli-color auto paint. It works out quite nicely, especially compared to what I was using at first. The paint is designed for all the coats to be put on in an hour, so its nice and quick. I'm using sharpie on top of that. The back cutaway does not go through the heel because this is a bolt on, and there needs to be enough wood for all of the bolts. Is that what you were asking? The art isn't supposed to be anything, its just supposed to look cool.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #31
lozlovesstrats
Avid Guitarist

Yeah that was what I was asking. There's nothing wrong with having a contoured heel with a bolt in, lots of major companies do it, there's plenty of wood there. Your call though, and it's painted now so *shrug* You're probably using a neck plate not ferrules though right? Careful the finish doesn't crack when you drill the holes.

Well lots of people list their gear... I just like my SMT tele =]

My Oak T-style build =]
lozlovesstrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #32
C_Hart

It also wouldn't fit with the other half of the guitar if I contoured it, but I could drop the treble side corner and have it fit. Whatever, I like it the way it is.

Last edited by C_Hart : 09-11-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
C_Hart

banged in the frets using a little homemade tool (bought a 12 in radius grooved piece of brass from stewmac and put it in a piece of maple with a bolt that had the head cut off, and then put it in the drill press for a homemade fret press) there are some that need to be glued because the slots are a little too wide, and some that just need a little more pushing, and everything needs to be leveled etc. but here are some pics. also, how do i get rid of the fret ends? file away?

So im planning to steel wool, and then one more coat of clear. maybe more if it doesnt go well.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
Valkyrie_Design
Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass

Interesting, in a good way of course. I assume the sharpie designs are going to go all over the guitar? Either way, looking good.

Jake

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
Valkyrie_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #35
C_Hart

thanks, and yes they are. anyone have advice on how to get the ends of the frets filed back, or is that just a lot of handwork? and also, where do i get uv-proof enamel? I DONT want the sharpie to purple.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
C_Hart

okay, little update, but mostly some nice shots for you guys a question

Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #37
C_Hart

now here's my problem: the neck doesn't sit quite right in its pocket, here are some pics, and then ill continue explaining:

My dad and i tried to make the angle on the heel basically by sanding it. we used a sanding block, but ended up getting the heel not straight, as it is now apparent. at the bridge end it seems to be close to okay, with only a 1/32" gap on the left. on the nut side though, the gap seems to be pretty significant. I think that the only problem is an aesthetic one, as the neck seems to be of even height on either side. but I dunno. Is this something that I will have to wait and see if its a problem until I set it up? Or should I do something now.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #38
hobson111
UG Member

Looks amazing mate

hobson111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #39
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!

It looks like overall its still a decent snug fit in the neck pocket? Because if thats the case, and its not mucking up the distances to your bridge etc I dont see it causing any more of a problem other than ruining some of your aesthetic appeal. In that case you could always use some filler around the neck pocket where the heel is bad, then use the neck as a guide for how much to sand off, then paint white like the rest of the body?

Chur
Lightbluemk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #40
Doonan
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbluemk2
In that case you could always use some filler around the neck pocket where the heel is bad, then use the neck as a guide for how much to sand off, then paint white like the rest of the body?

except filler shrinks. it doesnt really look like much of a problem though.
also, that is really nice. i like the art, its rad.
Doonan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: