Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
kylendm
Baronboi

Two Deathcore songs from my band I'm working on.

Neither song is done but I was wondering if I could get some opinions and maybe ideas to help me out. "cool riff2" I feel just needs to be longer with maybe one or two more riffs. I might be over thinking it because I could always play a few riffs a bit longer if the vocals fit. Silence is still just starting out.

UPDATED 1-6-13

Please let me know what you think at this point.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Silence4.gp5 (72.6 KB, 97 views)
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2

Last edited by kylendm : 01-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Siriusoull

I'm not sure if your aware, but the "40" is rim snare, and will transmute to that in midi, "38" would be the more desirable snare.
Siriusoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Siriusoull

Here, I fixed it for you.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Silence.gp5 (23.4 KB, 41 views)
Siriusoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusoull
I'm not sure if your aware, but the "40" is rim snare, and will transmute to that in midi, "38" would be the more desirable snare.

Wrong.
37 is snare rim, 38 is acoustic snare and 40 is electric snare. I can tell you from experience that 40 works fine for all midi snare purposes.

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
kylendm
Baronboi

Yes I know guys. I just hate the 80s, snare from drumkit 16 but I like the kick sounds. I, always edit the midi when I go to record. In Sonar 38 is the right snare., but i'm really looking for opinions for the music.
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2

Last edited by kylendm : 12-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm
Yes I know guys. I just hate the 80s, snare from drumkit 16 but I like the kick sounds. I, always edit the midi when I go to record. In Sonar 38 is the right snare., but i'm really looking for opinions for the music.

I'm not sure how it happened but you somehow managed to write 'generic progressive deathcore'. Thats actually fairly commendable, I didn't think anything could sound as much like Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, Wretched, Slice the cake, or in fact any deathcore proclaiming their supposed progressiveness as much as these two songs did.

Sorreh

I also feel that whatever additions I would do would be encroaching (ie, mangling and raping) your ideas, so I dont really have anything to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
SoulShredder

Not a big fan of deathcore but the last riff in cool riff was pretty cool.
SoulShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
kylendm
Baronboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
I'm not sure how it happened but you somehow managed to write 'generic progressive deathcore'. Thats actually fairly commendable, I didn't think anything could sound as much like Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, Wretched, Slice the cake, or in fact any deathcore proclaiming their supposed progressiveness as much as these two songs did.

Sorreh

I also feel that whatever additions I would do would be encroaching (ie, mangling and raping) your ideas, so I dont really have anything to add.

So why is it commendable if you think it's shitty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulShredder
Not a big fan of deathcore but the last riff in cool riff was pretty cool.

Thanks man!
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
So why is it commendable if you think it's shitty?

Thanks man!

Because it takes real effort to create something notable, whether its good or bad.

So, some advice: Keep the **** away from the harmonic minor, and you're golden (probably).

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
amonamarthmetal

You have posted the first song before.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
kylendm
Baronboi

I never posted Silence but the other one has different riffs throughout the song.
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
kylendm
Baronboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Because it takes real effort to create something notable, whether its good or bad.

So, some advice: Keep the **** away from the harmonic minor, and you're golden (probably).

The thing about the music I write is there's no point in writing in a different scale other than harmonic, melodic, or augmented scales because that's just not the sound i'm going for. I notice your posts on other peoples stuff and there's a fine line from giving critical constructive critism and just being an asshole. I see you bash a lot of peoples stuff for no reason and continue to say things like that you won't add more because all you'll do its be a pretentious prick.

Chill out and try and give some actual feedback to pieces people work hard to write.
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2

Last edited by kylendm : 12-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
I notice your posts on other peoples stuff and there's a fine line from giving critical constructive criticism and just being an asshole. I see you bash a lot of peoples stuff for no reason and continue to say things like that you won't add more because all you'll do its be a pretentious prick.

Chill out and try and give some actual feedback to pieces people work hard to write.

Very true.
*applause*

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Butthurt.

I am giving constructive criticism, you're just not taking it very well.

The harmonic minor is a scale done to death in metalcore and deathcore, its a very limiting and musically unfulfilling scale when used on its own. And then there's just limiting yourself to scales. If you do that, then your writing becomes monotone, it gets boring, not just for me, but for anyone who's seen through the blandness of deathcore. You can say what you want about me and what I do, but what I've said stands: You're writing this generations nu-metal, and its as bland as it gets.

People dont really want to hear that sort of thing, and its understandable, but you have to be open to that sort of criticism or you'll not get very far with your music. I didn't want to add anything to these tracks because I was expecting your reaction to be exactly what it was, and quite a few times when I've edited other peoples tabs on here, they're fairly okay with it, and keep the changes I've made, but in this case, I'd be changing so much of the song (to at least make it musically interesting, and not just to me, but a group of people I run this stuff by) that no one would be happy with it.

I like to edit these songs because its an open forum, I've got the ability to do so, and most of the time people are okay with everyone else doing it too. You dont have to do anything with what I present, but you could at least appreciate the consideration, it shows that what you've got is notable at least. You need to really think about what it means to be progressive when writing music, otherwise you're just pissing in the wind.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
kylendm
Baronboi

No where did I say this was progressive or anything and if there's a vibe then it's a vibe whatever I still don't think you see the point of what I'm saying even if you think you do. Others on here would just appreciate something more constructive than "It's generic, blows, sounds like everything else" You just do it in a drawn out manner.

I like my music and work hard so that's why I bring it here. It isn't for everyone and I totally get that. If I got no replies it's fine but when someone comes in and says shit like that it's insulting. There's no need to be the Simon Cowell of the tablature subforum

You have cool music man and I dig some stuff you write but the stuff I don't get into I don't go on your page and write "Sounds like ______ it's generic and anything I'd add to it you would hate because I hate it and it sucks."

Quote:
People dont really want to hear that sort of thing, and its understandable, but you have to be open to that sort of criticism or you'll not get very far with your music.

So why do it on a forum where we constructively criticize each other?
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2

Last edited by kylendm : 12-29-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
So why do it on a forum where we constructively criticize each other?

See, that's a stupid question and you know it. If people ask for a crit, then we give it to them. I am obviously giving you a criticism and you're just brushing it aside because you dont like it. You said you wanted an opinion, I'm giving it to you, if you dont like it, then you deal with it and get over it, it doesn't actually change anything if one person says your music writing isn't spectacular. Its an open forum, where you show us the subject you want discussing and what you want from us as users, so I'm doing just that, it just so happens to not be a positive commentary. You're trying to go for something other people will enjoy, so you need something to grab their interest. Doing something thats generic is not interesting. And yes, I use that term because its what it is. You probably dont see how, or if you do, then you're compromising for someone elses preferences, or just dont give a shit, either way, you need to change it up.

I'm calling it 'progressive' because the riff style is nearly the same as the other bands I mentioned, who are all often called 'progressive deathcore'. Them in themselves have got pretty set in their ways, and all leech off each others writing style. Hence, it all sounds the same.

You could go around saying the absolute worst things you can about any song I've written and I'd be fine with it, the joys of taking criticism on the chest. I'd expect other people to have an equal disposition, otherwise, ya know, just dont go on the internet.

If you want me to really dig into your songs, I could do, and you'd have a lot to read.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

This thread is a mix of not being able to take criticism and Epi just being Epi...

I mean in the end if you like your music you like your music and that's fine. But Epi does have a point, this is stuff I've heard lots of places before and whilst I'm sure some kid on youtube would love your lyrics video with impact fonts a serious music fan who knows his shit would think like Epi. This stuff would be a small fish in a very crowded pond.

I've always separated the two groups in my head, there's normal music fans and UG music fans; the second group have FAR higher standards which is why I don't always completely take UG crits as something I NEED to do, if you see what I mean.

But for the love of cthulhu stop trying to argue against criticism, it's moronic.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-29-2012 at 01:00 PM.
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
kylendm
Baronboi

Fair enough. Sorry I over reacted.
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Fair enough. Sorry I over reacted.

Thats fine, dude. Sorry for not explaining myself better

Also, cheers CF

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
kylendm
Baronboi

So did anyone enjoy this ? haha

Rough recording of this so far.

https://soundcloud.com/kylendm/silence/s-S4XXx
Ibanez RG927QM
Ibanez SA160
Bogner 4x12 (V30s)
G-Major 2

Last edited by kylendm : 12-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Rate This Thread: