Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

Good mic for screaming?

Hey guys I'm. Guitarist gone screamer so I need a good mic that will sound good when screamed into I every type of scream an growl so I need one that's just good overall... Any recommendations? My budgets a little low, can't do more than 300 USD

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
lifesuckstomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
rebeltildeth87
†мєтal†

Shure SM57.

quite possible the most versatile mic ever made. when your done screaming in it, put it about an inch off your amps grill slightly to the side of the center cone of the speaker and you can get a killer heavy guitar tone.

Last edited by rebeltildeth87 : 07-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.
rebeltildeth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

thanks mang

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
merriman44

Try it but you may find that you hate its sound. I have tried the SM7B, the 58, the 57, hell I've even tried kick drum mics.

The best mic for my screams has been the Blue Bluebird. Those that say screaming will hurt the mic is a fool. It picks up all the little nuances in the tone and sounds great.

Remember to use a pop filter no matter what mic you use as screaming moves a lot of air.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Remember to use a pop filter no matter what mic you use as screaming moves a lot of air.

Even on stage? I haven't used the Bluebird before, but it looks like it's a condensor mic more suited to studio recording than live performance.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Winman9999

sm 57 for every thing, not the best, but most versatile and everyone uses them
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Winman9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman9999
sm 57 for every thing, not the best, but most versatile and everyone uses them

then what's the best?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

Out of curiosity (and not to hijack the OP's thread), what's the difference between the Shure SM58 and the Shure SM57?? Aren't they like, both the exact same price??

I only ask because on another site (I think it was gearslutz.com, or something like that) everyone is madly in love with the Shure SM58 and tells everyone who wants to scream to get that mic.

So what's the big difference, and which one is better?
shinderhizzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Mr.Cuddles

has anyone tried the shure super 55 for harsh vox? my vocalist wants to get oe, but we are unsure.
(sorry for hijacking op)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksgiving
"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"
Viscara (my band)
Mr.Cuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Ghast
Trained Misanthropist

Shebang!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audix-i...294-i1126698.gc

Works like a charm for both highs and lows. Handles up to 140db without distorting. Sounds alot warmer and smoother then the SM57's and 8's

-----------

The SM mics have a distinct trebly quality to them fyi
Ghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

It's not highjacking if they're valid, on topic questions, and now I wanna know too!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
merriman44

The difference in the 57 and 58 is that the 58 has a built in pop filter and has a grill that alters the strength of some frequencies that the mic picks up. Internally they are exactly the same.

Winman: No, not everyone uses the 57. They are predominantly a instrumental mic and if you ever visit a studio that wants you to record with one and doesn't give you a reason please leave.

Alan, I was referring to studio use. Using a pop filter for performances is not needed. This is because the environment is incredibly different. In the studio one usually wants the cleanest input one can get so that any added effects can be better controlled.
In addition and obviously, a large diaphragm condensor would not be suitable live. However, vocal sound quality almost always loses a lot of its charecteristics in a live environment. As such most mics of the same type will sound exactly the same in a live situation since the differences are rather minor.

All: There is no BEST mic. There is only a best mic for YOU. Because we all have different voices one mic that I love may pick up and amplify an unwanted frequency in your voice. Try as many as you can and decide for yourself. The 57 sounds dry and weak in my opinion and makes it harder to fit into a mix. The 58 is better but not by much. The SM7B requires one hellova input gain boost, if not an outboard preamp. The Blue is great for my voice but my screams are loud.

Last edited by merriman44 : 07-23-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Alan, I was referring to studio use.

Oh I'm aware of the different purposes of different mics - I use a Shure SM57 live, and a Rode NT1-A in the studio for vocals. I was just under the impression that if I was on a budget, and could only afford one microphone, I would purchase the SM57 or any other mic that is more suited to live performance due to the enhanced usability of being able to do it.

Perhaps the TS can tell us whether he's using the mic for live performance, recording, or both.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Oh I'm aware of the different purposes of different mics - I use a Shure SM57 live, and a Rode NT1-A in the studio for vocals. I was just under the impression that if I was on a budget, and could only afford one microphone, I would purchase the SM57 or any other mic that is more suited to live performance due to the enhanced usability of being able to do it.

Perhaps the TS can tell us whether he's using the mic for live performance, recording, or both.

both due to my budget, as i said before im a guitarist gone screamer, basically taking over for my band's vocalist when he decided to bail, i did "backup" screams before and now i need something to record with, used sometimes live, because most of the clubs and bars in the area provide the mics but I'd like to keep one with me, should something happen, or if they have shitty mics

Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
lifesuckstomuch
to deal with bull****

Bump?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
SadusAttack

Speaking of which, does anyone know any dynamic microphones for..let's say..a Petrozza-ish kinda scream but screaming nonetheless that is also budget friendly?
SadusAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesuckstomuch
Bump?

Not sure what else you need dude. If your budget is 300US, why not invest in a dyanmic mic for live performance and a condensor mic for studio recording?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
merriman44

Yep! For now a SM58 would probably work wonders for you. Get it used for 50 bucks. Cant kill them.

Then choose a condensor you like (once again I'm partial to the bluebird for its clarity). I got mine used for 125. That will leave you enough money to take the girlfriend out.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Tafiasco

Personally, I use the Shure 58A beta, I did used to have the Shure SM58, but the Beta just works a lot better for me, it gives it more crunch and a more clear sound.

But the mic I'm saving up for now is the Sennheiser E935, which is pretty much top of the range, as is the en·CORE 200, both are pretty much some of the best mics you can get, the Beta isn't that much worse, but if you don't really care if your mic ends up dented and all that, go for the Sinnheiser or the en.Core!
Tafiasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: