Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bass Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

UROTM Sept, Consecutive e's GAS Results.

Well on the way to learning money can't really buy happiness I picked up some really nice gear, and figured it was time to share it with you guys, so I asked anarkee if I could have this month's UROTM, and here I am .
A bit of forewarning. I'm a terrible photographer I asked my sister to take the photos but she's lazy , I managed to make a Canon EOS 1000D look like a camera phone. Oh and I ramble on a lot.

Sooooo. Here we go!

First up.

Mesa Boogie Big Block 750.
I won this in an auction on eBay on Friday and went to pick it up yesterday. I'm completely in love with it. I'm still doing heaps of tweaking with on the EQ but it's so versatile I don't think I'll ever have one single "go-to" sound. It loves passive basses, but it takes a bit more work with actives, you can't really get past 9 o'clock on the gain before it starts clipping, I think some new preamp tubes might sort this out as the guy I bought it off said it's never had a retube. Any recommendations? I haven't had a chance to play with the OD channel yet either. For some reason when I plug in the footswitch the amp is barely audible, broken footswitch maybe?

Anyway, it's sitting on top of...

An Ampeg 610 HLF.
I love this cab, it's nowhere near as heavy as I thought it'd be either, the wheels on the bottom make it very portable too, and it's just big enough to lay across the back seat of a car. All in all it's a lot more practical than it's bigger brother.
It's one of the old USA made ones, they're made in China now I think? The sound is MASSIVE, shakes the house quite well too . Punchy, brilliant highs and enough bottom end to kill a kindergarten full of small children.

Now onto my basses.

My main WMD, a 2000-01 Spector Euro 5.

I bought this used back in July last year from The Bass Centre in South Melbourne (One of the best shops in the country for bass players, massive range, great prices and the staff are really friendly and helpful) I'm the third owner. I've never been able to get a photo that really shows off the finish, it's actually violet, the photos make it look more blue, my lifestyle really doesn't have me seeing much day light and the aforementioned lack of photography skills don't help.
35" Scale, Aguliar OBP-1 Preamp, solid flame maple (not sure what grade but they look incredible in the right light) wings, I replaced the cheap looking black plastic control knobs to match the rest of the hardware. I haven't found anything this bass can't do, it can go from growling like an angry pitull to singing like a eunuch. Lately I've been thinking about changing the neck pickup for an EMG 40P5 (P bass pickup in a soapbar case).

I'll continue in the next post...
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

2003? Fender CIJ P Bass

This bass isn't exactly mine, but I thought I'd include it anyway. I've been borrowing from a mate who doesn't really play anymore. It's a great bass, don't know too much about the specs, I'm going to guess it's an alder body, it's not light enough to be basswood and I don't think Fender Japan pumps out any Ash basses?
I like it a lot more than any MIA P bass I've ever played, I've offered to buy it a fair few times but my mate doesn't want to let it go for sentimental reasons.

Ministar Basstar.

I bought this thing a couple of months ago and never posted a NBD for it, mostly because I was so disgusted with myself I didn't want to even look at the thing. I was restringing it and decided I didn't need to measure the A string before I cut it because I'd done it that many times before and was feeling impatient, so naturally I cut it about half an inch too short . So I put it in the corner and haven't really touched it since.
No idea what it's made out of. If I had to guess I'd say Agathis. It's pretty cool actually it has interchangable "limbs" one for sitting and another two for if you want to attach a strap to it. It's got a "humbucking" pickup that's really just two Js stuck together. The nut's adjustable so that's how you set the action.
It was a total impulse buy, I went into my local shop and laughed at how ugly it was for a bit, then thought I'd try it out for a laugh, it actually does sound really good and plays really well, so I thought; "Ah, what the hell" and bought it, it'll be good for if I ever go away or whatever.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I feel more or less furfilled gear-wise. I still want a nice Jazz bass and I'm going to start building up a pedalboard but I'm in no massive rush to do it. Looking back I really did spend an absolute shit load of time lurking through eBay and the used sections of various websites. (Bass Centre and MusicSwopShop mainly.) Now I really need to concentrate on my playing .

Thanks for reading guys, and a special thanks to anarkee for letting me have this months UROTM!

Last edited by consecutive e : 09-05-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
FatalGear41
What Fools These Mortals!

Nice rig! Your neighbors will quickly grow to hate you. Enjoy it. Love the Spector, too. HNAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...
Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
anarkee
oh the horror!

Nice rig! I so envy your Ampeg fridge though. I keep on drooling for one at my local resale shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Cb4rabid
VibraTHORus Rex

God, what I wouldnt do for an Ampeg rig.

Nice Spector, looking into them now, they make some really tasty basses.

You don't understand this? How about now? Why don't you understand? This is so easy 4y(20x) graph it fggt

#teamLAD
Old 09-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Mmmmm, I'm loving the Mesa, and actually the Basstar too, they've been haunting me on eBay for months

How do you like the Aguilar pre in the Spector?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
Nice rig! I so envy your Ampeg fridge though. I keep on drooling for one at my local resale shop.

Thanks Tam . You wont regret the purchase if you do decide to go for it. What are they worth over in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
Mmmmm, I'm loving the Mesa, and actually the Basstar too, they've been haunting me on eBay for months

How do you like the Aguilar pre in the Spector?

I'm hopefully grabbing a new A string for the Ministar tomorrow so I could do some clips through Amplitube if you'd like to hear it?
The Agulair pre is just awesome too. I've played a couple of the new LXs and they don't seem to have that "snap" or "bite" mine has. I think it might have something to do with that they sandwich a bit of (alder I think?) in between two bits of maple on the wings, but I can still tell there's something a bit lacking on the electronics side of things. If you google around a bit on the LXs you'll probably read a lot of people ragging on the TonePump.

Oh! I figured out the problem I've been having with the footswitch on the Mesa too! It needs a stereo cable and I was using a regular mono instrument cable. Owner's manuals ftw!
Warwick Star Bass

Amps: Gallien-Krueger
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
ozzyismetal
UG's thingamajig

How much was the cab?

pretentious small text, right justified signature
also UG's musical theatre nerd
show
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyismetal
How much was the cab?

I bought the amp and cab together for $3000 from a guy in Melbourne. You can usually find the 610HLFs for around 1400 used.
Warwick Star Bass

Amps: Gallien-Krueger
Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
ozzyismetal
UG's thingamajig

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
I bought the amp and cab together for $3000 from a guy in Melbourne. You can usually find the 610HLFs for around 1400 used.

Cheers mate!

pretentious small text, right justified signature
also UG's musical theatre nerd
show
Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Bullet-Rule
Back from the grave

Ampeg and a P-bass. Love it!

Rate This Thread: