Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda

The Nightman Awakens (Some sort of melodic metal?) [GP5/GP4/MIDI] [C4C]

Here's a short song I have been writing for the past few days. I'm not really sure how to classify this. I guess it's metal, but it's somewhat indie rock influenced. It's a bit odd at some parts, but I wouldn't consider it progressive. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far, but I would like to work on some transitions and other things. This isn't what I traditionally write, but I still think it turned out good so far. I don't know what else to say about this song. I might add on to it later, I can easily pick up from where I left the song. Enjoy. I'll C4C.

Oh and high-five if you got the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference.

I'm hoping to start writing more often, one song every few months is a boring pace.
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Awakening.zip (12.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: gp5 theawakening.gp5 (71.0 KB, 399 views)
File Type: gp4 theawakening.gp4 (41.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: mid theawakening.mid (48.9 KB, 97 views)

Some of My Recent Songs

Last edited by champayne : 08-14-2010 at 12:08 PM.
champayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96

Overall, honestly, I thought it was pretty good. Sounds like something I would enjoy listening to (studio quality) recorded. It looks very easy to play. It flows well.

The only thing I have to say is that the notes do run together, in the sense that almost everything is in the same key. The song was a bit short, but that's good, I guess, considering the notes do run on. But I was hoping for a clean breakdown at the end there.

But fairly good job thus far, and I know it was a short critique, but may you please critique my latest song? Btw, please read the posts so I don't get the same responses again. :P

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1349572
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Tsunami3000
Certified Cysquatch

man i really liked this, it was very melodic and looks very fun to play

Brother's Band
http://www.untilwehavefacesofficial.com/

Pittsburgh Metal at its finest!

http://www.facebook.com/jkmusiciansworkshop
Tsunami3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

I prefer Dayman myself.

But this was quite a pleasant song. I don't see any real inconsistencies or such.
Very rhythm driven, with the melodic nuances giving it appropriate breathing room. What I'm trying to say is the lack of wank is most impressive. All aspects of the piece are deliberate, which I also like quite a bit.

That is also my main point of concern. Everything is streamlined towards a single goal, which is what the majority of people will like. I enjoy it too at times (most of time, actually). I do like myself a good dabble of experimentation though.
Not to say that you need to do that with this piece.
I just wanted to express that since it's about the only critical thing I could think of. This piece is spot-on goodness the whole way through.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be participating more in this forum. I look forward to your next piece.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by huevos

I prefer Dayman myself.

But this was quite a pleasant song. I don't see any real inconsistencies or such.
Very rhythm driven, with the melodic nuances giving it appropriate breathing room. What I'm trying to say is the lack of wank is most impressive. All aspects of the piece are deliberate, which I also like quite a bit.

That is also my main point of concern. Everything is streamlined towards a single goal, which is what the majority of people will like. I enjoy it too at times (most of time, actually). I do like myself a good dabble of experimentation though.
Not to say that you need to do that with this piece.
I just wanted to express that since it's about the only critical thing I could think of. This piece is spot-on goodness the whole way through.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be participating more in this forum. I look forward to your next piece.

Why thank you. Well, my next piece is actually more western songs, I'm looking to write a full-length of sorts. I already had 2 songs done, but I got a terrible computer virus yesterday and had to reinstall windows and reformat my hard-drive. I kept my work on an external drive, but I have to reinstall Guitar Pro, so it will be some time before I start working on it again and will be able to C4C.

Also, thank you DragtheWaters11 and Tsunami3000 for your crits.

Some of My Recent Songs

Last edited by champayne : 08-16-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...76#post25034476

Whenever you get GP running again, take a look at that.
You could also download Tuxguitar. From what I've heard and seen, it functions quite like GP, but without the RSE.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by huevos
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...76#post25034476

Whenever you get GP running again, take a look at that.
You could also download Tuxguitar. From what I've heard and seen, it functions quite like GP, but without the RSE.

Nah I already got GP running, so I'll leave a crit in a sec. I had TuxGuitar before, but I never found use for it since I had GP.

Some of My Recent Songs

Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
Grovermans
.. / .- -- / --. --- -..

The only reason I'm looking at this is because of the Always Sunny reference. I don't have much to say about it; it's good. My only complaint is that some of the straight powerchord parts are a bit boring. For that matter, I think you could use some fuller chords for a lot of the song. Just maybe something more than three-note chords. I think it would really help the song sound more complete, even if you just use a couple four-string chords or something. Anyway. It was rather enjoyable, however nowhere near the brilliance that is The Nightman Cometh.

I just want to sleep forever.

Grovermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Didnt expect this sort of song, really unique sounding stuff

Sounds more proggy than metal to me for some reason, maybe because I just cant figure out a specific genre to put it under. Lots of interesting and far-out (excuse me for outdated slang) ideas, but they all flow and line up together very well

I like it constantly weaves back and forth from an intense mood and a melodic, "pretty" sounding thing, and the leads sound very nice.

Really well-put together piece, only wish it was a bit longer (though I wouldnt call it too short at the same time). Also, counterstrike is awesome
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda

Thanks for the crits everyone! And yes Grovermans, I simply cannot outdo Charlie. And yeah, piratemetalhead, I couldn't think of a genre either :/. And that weaving was kind of what I was going for. It isn't what I traditionally write, but I want to write more songs of similar style.

Some of My Recent Songs

Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Banned

Critting as i listen first half of the first i like but then the second half it kinda feels like the wrong chord but still sounds fine none the less

Through out i found the drums kept cutting out not sure if this is intentional or GP bugging or what but if it is intentional get rid of the volume changes for the drums

I also think you should remove the bends on bar 34-35-39-40-41-42 could be just GP and it sounds better played on a real guitar but it just doesnt sound right now

I also thought the riff at 44 onwards sounds almost cheesy, happy yes maybe a little to happy lol

anywho good stuff overall i personally think its a bit to happy sounding

6/10 mainly due to the drums and the fact theres only about 3-4 riffs move it around a little what you have is good its just a little repetative sounding and the drum trap is mucked up
169290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 169290
Critting as i listen first half of the first i like but then the second half it kinda feels like the wrong chord but still sounds fine none the less

Through out i found the drums kept cutting out not sure if this is intentional or GP bugging or what but if it is intentional get rid of the volume changes for the drums

I also think you should remove the bends on bar 34-35-39-40-41-42 could be just GP and it sounds better played on a real guitar but it just doesnt sound right now

I also thought the riff at 44 onwards sounds almost cheesy, happy yes maybe a little to happy lol

anywho good stuff overall i personally think its a bit to happy sounding

6/10 mainly due to the drums and the fact theres only about 3-4 riffs move it around a little what you have is good its just a little repetative sounding and the drum trap is mucked up

Hmm.... strange, I don't really see any problems with the drums. The beginning is a open and closed hi-hat, that's all I can think of. I think it's just GP ****ing up. I have critted peoples songs with GP messing up and I had a few crits where people said something, went back, and said that it was only GP acting up. So I don't know, but thanks for the crit anyway.

Some of My Recent Songs

Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
butterfingers30

Hey man sorry it took me so long to respond. But I just listened to "The Nightman Awakens"......and wow, I loved it. The fast pace of the intro really got me interested early, and by the time the bass kicked in, I was enjoying it. All those little lead licks throughout the song were great and were timed just right. One of my favorite parts was around measure 23 and a little after. And one last thing I really enjoyed was that the whole tone and feel of the song changed about half way through and took a more softer side. Overall, I thought it was great and would love to hear a actual recording of it someday.
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
butterfingers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #14
uprawrock

International

Drag the Waters' first half sentence tells me he's a douchebag.

Last edited by uprawrock : 01-04-2011 at 02:39 AM.
uprawrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
cptazad
Jeff Loomis is God

intro reminds me of system of a down hahaha
The cleansing has begun.
Your meek defense is foolish,
we come from the stars a trillion strong."
cptazad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: