Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Mind
Very cool!

Make sure you do faux binding

Yeah i think i will have to, because routing for actual binding would be a pain. Although proper binding would help hide the glue joint... the neck's getting curly koa binding so it'd be nice if it could match..
matt154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
archenemyfan
UG Addict

stickied!!!

this looks awesome

archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by archenemyfan
stickied!!!

this looks awesome

thanks, i'm sorta regretting having set such a high goal but hopefully if it pulls through, at the end i'll have plenty of experience and a kick-ass guitar to boot... never heard a korina/maple electric before...
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #24
deftonesordie
ENGL Fireball 100 Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt154
Btw i'm still tossing up what colour stain to do it in... iv'e already got a blue guitar so i might go with a deep blood red with some black around the edges.

I'd think a nice aqua-style burst could be awesome, Hit it with a nice blue, sand it back, and lay a nice light teal on top...

Shwiggity.
deftonesordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftonesordie
I'd think a nice aqua-style burst could be awesome, Hit it with a nice blue, sand it back, and lay a nice light teal on top...

Yeah sounds nice, it'd look like water then... i'll probably see how i feel about it when i get to the finishing stage. I'm kind of limited to the colous i can have since iv'e got a pretty basic selection of analine dyes, mixing up a teal color would be tricky. but the basic blue's pretty nice as it is..

since i've got some scrap maple left over i'll probably do up a bunch of different colours and see what people think..
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
the1967mustang
UG Newbie

Sweet. I'll have to keep up with this build. Looks really good so far!
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
the1967mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #27
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
thanks, i'm sorta regretting having set such a high goal but hopefully if it pulls through, at the end i'll have plenty of experience and a kick-ass guitar to boot... never heard a korina/maple electric before...

haha its ok,...well see,it could be a great combo.....
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #28
vodkanoodle

Love the top. I have an S470 so I'm really keen to see what you do with this. Subscribed.
vodkanoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #29
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

The top is finally glued... I ended up having to use epoxy to hold the bastard down because it kept wanting to lift. I also trimmed the excess maple around and gave it a quick sand around the edges. Looking good..

btw i used what's called a card scraper to finish the top. I heard on another forum somewhere that it is better than sandpaper on figured woods because it cuts cleanly and doesn't leave sawdust in the pores.. it gives a very nice smooth finish..

Pic of the back.. The maple top makes it convenient for mounting the pots and stuff in the control cavity

Next up is routing the pickup cavities and neck joint
Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #30
littlephil

That top looks really nice!
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #31
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil
That top looks really nice!

Thanks, it was a birthday present from my dad some time ago. He got it at http://www.northridgehardwoods.com/PrivateStock.htm if anyone's interested. They've got some nice stuff that comes through occasionally that's a little better than their regular stuff.. you could liken it to prs's private stock. Not that i'm plugging for them or anything...
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
extra heavy

This is a pretty sweet job man good work. What type of glue did you use to hold down the top of it just regular wood glue or something specific?
extra heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra heavy
This is a pretty sweet job man good work. What type of glue did you use to hold down the top of it just regular wood glue or something specific?

I used regular titebond white glue for most of it but there was a bit which lifted towards the back where i had to use epoxy. The epoxy is just Araldite 2-part which i left set for about three days just to be safe..
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #34
extra heavy

Quote:
I used regular titebond white glue for most of it but there was a bit which lifted towards the back where i had to use epoxy. The epoxy is just Araldite 2-part which i left set for about three days just to be safe..

Nice So is it the way its clamped and steamed that gives it the arch top? I read in an earlyer post you had a little trouble with steaming so did you end up just doing it flat on the body?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Nice So is it the way its clamped and steamed that gives it the arch top? I read in an earlyer post you had a little trouble with steaming so did you end up just doing it flat on the body?

No, i carved the korina to the right shape first and the maple is bent and glued over the top of the korina
The top of an ibanez S is only curved around the edges so i could hold the middle down while i applied pressure and steam around the edges to pull it down until it met the korina, then i shoved some glue in the gap and clamped it while it set.

There's a pic put up before showing a side on view near the front where you can see the maple formed over the surface.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #36
extra heavy

Quote:
No, i carved the korina to the right shape first and the maple is bent and glued over the top of the korina
The top of an ibanez S is only curved around the edges so i could hold the middle down while i applied pressure and steam around the edges to pull it down until it met the korina, then i shoved some glue in the gap and clamped it while it set.

There's a pic put up before showing a side on view near the front where you can see the maple formed over the surface.

Oh alright that makes sense. When you bought the neck what did you have to measure or know to make sure it fits becasue im looking into replacement necks and I was wondering if it was just scale length or if there are more things to it.( sorry to kinda go off topic. )
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #37
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Oh alright that makes sense. When you bought the neck what did you have to measure or know to make sure it fits becasue im looking into replacement necks and I was wondering if it was just scale length or if there are more things to it.( sorry to kinda go off topic. )

Well scale length was the major factor, other than that the template i found had 22 frets and my neck had 24 so i had to chop some frets off. i could go with 24 but then i'd have to move pickups around to accomodate the extra length.

I'm not an expert, but if you're looking for a replacement neck the biggest concern would be scale length and neck joint type. Ibanez used to use a strat type neck joint, now they use what's called an AANJ. So if you have an older ibanez you might have to look into getting an older neck or find someone who makes that type of joint. (Strat necks might even work, i think the scale's the same)

Seeing as i'm making both the guitar body and modifying the neck to suit i don't really have to worry about joint compatibility, although making like an AANJ joint would help if i want to replace it someday.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #38
extra heavy

Quote:
Well scale length was the major factor, other than that the template i found had 22 frets and my neck had 24 so i had to chop some frets off. i could go with 24 but then i'd have to move pickups around to accomodate the extra length.

I'm not an expert, but if you're looking for a replacement neck the biggest concern would be scale length and neck joint type. Ibanez used to use a strat type neck joint, now they use what's called an AANJ. So if you have an older ibanez you might have to look into getting an older neck or find someone who makes that type of joint. (Strat necks might even work, i think the scale's the same)

Seeing as i'm making both the guitar body and modifying the neck to suit i don't really have to worry about joint compatibility, although making like an AANJ joint would help if i want to replace it someday.

mmk thanks man so did you modify the necks inlays or just leave it as is?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #39
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
mmk thanks man so did you modify the necks inlays or just leave it as is?

Apart from chopping the last two off and radiusing the fretboard which sanded them back a bit, no changes at all.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #40
WinterSteel

Oh wow, that top looks absolutely amazing! Blood red with a black burst would look absolutely killer on that!

Just...do the headstock the same way? Here's hoping you've got leftovers.

Also, interesting way of dealing with the neck. Means a bit of work with changing the drilling locations, but that's nothing hard. Love to see how this turns out.

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
WinterSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: