Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #81
extra heavy

Thats sick man good job.
extra heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #82
3-R4Z0R
Awaiting Lulz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt154
I gave the link above for the dyes: http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html

Oh, my fault, I suppose I forgot to refresh the page before posting or something like that. Anyways, thanks for the info. =)

Has joined the Axe-Fx II masterrace.
3-R4Z0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #83
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Finally finished routing for pickups...

Note the channels underneath the maple for the wiring... this was done before the maple was glued on, better than drilling holes
matt154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #84
salgala2000
GB&C's Noob of the Year

ahh good idea. I always imagined drilling the holes for the wires would be the scariest part of building a guitar.
Pedal building thread

UG's Bokononist!
salgala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #85
Levi79
has one gear. Go.

Oh wow. This is going to be a fucing beast man! I think it`s safe to say this is probably going to be one of the best builds I`ve seen on here!

My second build!

My first build!

My Soundcloud!

The ERG thread!

The DSP thread!
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #86
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi79
Oh wow. This is going to be a fucing beast man! I think it`s safe to say this is probably going to be one of the best builds I`ve seen on here!

Thanks man, i hope it turns out well... it doesn't take much to screw it up. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds..
Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #87
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgala2000
ahh good idea. I always imagined drilling the holes for the wires would be the scariest part of building a guitar.

yeah i always get nervous when it comes to doing any drilling or routing and this was the simplest solution that had the least chance of going wrong, though your options are kinda limited if your guitar body is a single piece of wood..
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #88
extra heavy

Have you decided what color your going to stain it?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #89
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra heavy
Have you decided what color your going to stain it?

yeah, i'm staying with the red with the black burst and fake binding. The korina seems to take stain well so the back is going to be a fairly dark red/maroon colour.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #90
extra heavy

Quote:
yeah, i'm staying with the red with the black burst and fake binding. The korina seems to take stain well so the back is going to be a fairly dark red/maroon colour.

Nice. I'm very intrested to see the burst affect. I don't know if i mentioned in earlier posts but I plan on building an explorer before I go off to college and I think if it had a maple top or something similar to yours with a red fade to black burst it would look sexy. Not trying to steal your ideas or anything.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #91
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra heavy
Nice. I'm very intrested to see the burst affect. I don't know if i mentioned in earlier posts but I plan on building an explorer before I go off to college and I think if it had a maple top or something similar to yours with a red fade to black burst it would look sexy. Not trying to steal your ideas or anything.

Nah, go for it, it sounds great. Most of the explorers i usually see are all pretty plain looking with plain colors, it'd be great to see a figured top with a burst effect.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #92
Ippon
Amped

This page needs more pics!

I imagine that you'd have to grain fill the back whether you go with an opaque (Black) or transparent finish.

BTW, I'm not sure if you've already mentioned it; but, what PUs are you planning?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #93
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

yeah i want to see some more pics.

i REALLY want to make an s-style soon, and this is pretty great inspiration. I don't follow many builds like i do this one.

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
conor1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #94
Ethanb08
No one in particular

Quote:
Note the channels underneath the maple for the wiring... this was done before the maple was glued on, better than drilling holes

lol, I've made only 2 guitars, both with maple tops, specifically so I could do that...lol and every guitar I plan on building in the future shall be no exception...lol

Looks great though so far, cant wait to see it with some colour and a clear finish. Based on the test blocks a posted a while back I'd do the green, or blue... you can never have enough blue guitars... (all my builds were blue... I'm sorta obsessed...) But its your build.

Good luck.
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #95
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Alright here's some more stuff:

I've decided to redo the neck from scratch as a 5-ply using flame maple with bubinga stripes. It'll have flame koa binding and more of the quilted maple on the headstock. Since it'll take a while to get the wood, i can't work on the neck joint or the trem rout because they both depend on the neck being finished..

so i'm currently working on the holes for all the electronics. Iv'e drilled and test fitted two pots and cut a slot for the 5-way switch:

The pots are just some emg pots which i was using for testing because i don't have any other short shaft pots lying around... The slot was cut using a very fine cutting wheel on a dremel tool, it burnt a little from friction but thet'll come off with sanding..

And a note about the pencil line in the cavity: this side of the cavity will be angled upwards because this is where the jack mounts. The jack in an S is an angled hole cut into the surface of the maple top and angled down so it meets the control cavity. It's similar to a strat jack but uses the wood itself rather than a metal plate. i'm expecting this to be a real pain in the ass to cut because the maple is really brittle and chips easily...

And i'm not sure what pups to use yet, iv'e got a set of EMGs left over from another build but i'm thinking of going for passive instead..
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #96
act31

lookin killer dude
act31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #97
matt154
Subtle Overdrive

Just finished cutting the area for the jack so people can get an idea of how it works:

Here's an actual ibanez control cavity for reference:

http://i42.tinypic.com/neeqe8.jpg

This whole thing is a complete pain to do and it would be easier to do the jack in the side rather than the top, but that would kinda ruin the look.

Last edited by matt154 : 01-31-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #98
RedHandICapped

This is an awesome build! I think you should not paint the top of the guitar. Anyway, Ibanez S body is really sexy.
RedHandICapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #99
Castiel

i love my S470

Wish I could afford a prestige or had the willpower/money to build one

Keep it up

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #100
extra heavy

So hows the build going? Its been awhile since we've seen any updates.

Rate This Thread: