Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #1
Bixter

Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMGs

So, im no expert on guitars and i need some advice and information:

Ive just put a deposit down on a Gibson LP Studio (2014) and ive been considering having EMG 81/85 fitted in it. At the guitar centre they told me i could have a 9v to 18v mod on the pickups. Would this make a big difference to sound and are there any drawbacks?

Also the guitar comes with coil taps, would they be useless with EMGs?

Thankyou for your help
Harley
Bixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #2
HomerSGR
What?

I believe you will have to install entirely new electronics to convert the guitar from passive to active, which includes new pots, special input-jack and wiring as well as the pickups themselves.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think you can keep the coil taps if you do not specifically choose an EMG set that has that feature.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #3
columbiar

If you want EMG's, just go for an ltd ec 1000 and be done with it.
columbiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #4
dspellman

If you're going to buy a new guitar and if you MUST have EMGs in it, it's probably a better idea to buy the new guitar that already has them.

You'll essentially be tossing away any electronics in the guitar, so existing coil taps will go as well.
If you add actives to a Studio, have them do the routing to put battery boxes in the back of the guitar that do NOT require you to pull a gizmo with tiny little wires from the top of the battery. And do NOT have them toss the batteries into the control cavity just so that you can avoid having to put the battery boxes on the guitar. About the second time you have to change the batteries (particularly if you ever use the guitar on stage and have them poop out on you), you'll say, "Okay, I get it now."

The 18V mod puts two 9V batteries in the system and gives you a tiny bit more gain. Mostly what it does is allow you to burn through 9V batteries about half again as fast, and it allows you to boast in internet forums that you have the "18V mod" on your guitar. Neither bad nor good, it will only cost you an extra battery box (and rout) for now. Might as well, if only for the bragging rights.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiar
If you want EMG's, just go for an ltd ec 1000 and be done with it.

+1.

Buy the guitar that's right for you, if that means you don't get a Gibson, don't get a Gibson. And that's from a Gibson guy.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Getting an EC-1000 makes a lot more sense in this situation.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #7
Bixter

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
The reason is i can get them fitted professionally for £35 and sell the pickups in the gibson, i currently own a Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG and would love a gibson to add to my collection
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixter
Thanks for all the advice everyone!
The reason is i can get them fitted professionally for £35 and sell the pickups in the gibson, i currently own a Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG and would love a gibson to add to my collection

Don't put too much stock in "a Gibson." If what you're really going for is the logo or the brand name, and if that's what's most important to you, fine. Otherwise, there are better options for the money.

Does that price cover installation of battery boxes?
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #9
Bixter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Don't put too much stock in "a Gibson." If what you're really going for is the logo or the brand name, and if that's what's most important to you, fine. Otherwise, there are better options for the money.

Does that price cover installation of battery boxes?

Yes it covers everything
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #10
HomerSGR
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

From the pickup perspective, yes, but to be honest it does not feel like a Gibson Les Paul in the slightest - even the full sized ones. Both are good guitars, but after owning both an Eclipse and two Gibson LP's side by side for the last 4 years I find the comparison off. It's like someone is sitting and looking at pictures and specs and say "Hey! These look similar!" when they actually are as different in feel as an LP and a PRS Custom 24.

But yes, the EC1000 is a good choice if you want a good EMG-equipped guitar. But so is a Schecter Hellraiser and many others.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #11
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixter
So, im no expert on guitars and i need some advice and information:

Ive just put a deposit down on a Gibson LP Studio (2014) and ive been considering having EMG 81/85 fitted in it. At the guitar centre they told me i could have a 9v to 18v mod on the pickups. Would this make a big difference to sound and are there any drawbacks?

The difference between a 9v and 18v mod is that you're pumping more electricity into it, with a 18v mod. This means it has more power, but it may also be a bit much. It all depends on what you want. 9v is definitely good for 90% of people, imho.

Quote:
Also the guitar comes with coil taps, would they be useless with EMGs?

Yes, unfortunately.

Quote:

Yeah, since TS hasn't actually purchased the LP, I'd say this is true. It'd be one thing if he already spent money. But a deposit isn't a purchase.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

...or any number of LPclones with EMGs.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #13
12ie

Play an Esp/Ltd, you might be surprised at the quality. No it doesn't "play" like a EMG equipped gibson because its not but it will sound a hell of a lot like one, if you wanted to save a bit of cash i would be looking into either an Ec-401/Ec-1000 or even an Esp Eclipse. Theres also the schecter solo 6s but they are different axes all together.
12ie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: