Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
TheGroundZero

Drop tuning and string choices

So I've been playing forever, but always use standard tuning or occasionally drop D.
I really like a lot of newer stuff(hard rock, metal) that's either played using drop tuning or a 7 string. I'm not quite ready to commit to buying a 7 string, but I'd like to have a guitar in, say, drop C to play around with.

Is drop C a good place to start? I know a lot of newer bands use it, just from glancing at tabs. If I do decide to go drop C, what gauge strings would you guys recommend?
I normally use 10s but I've had 11s on my Les Paul for a year now.

I'm not necessarily looking to cover a bunch of stuff, so particular bands aren't that important to me. But it wouldn't hurt to use what's most common if I decide to learn some covers. It would mostly be hard rock/metal if I did.

Advice?
Thanks.
TheGroundZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
TheGroundZero

I should add that I don't want the strings to feel floppy. I like the tight feeling of 10s and 11s in standard tuning if that helps.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
'DC fan

I play in Drop C and Drop B most the time, I use Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's which are .11-.54 and they work well on my Vintage V100 Les Paul
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Carl21221

For Drop C, I use Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms. Tight bottom strings but quite "bendy" on the higher strings. Perfect for me.

Maybe some Not Even Slinky's? Considering you like the feel of standard tuning with 11s
Roland Cube 30X
Carl21221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #5
pantallica87

I use Dunlop Heavy Core heaviest gauge 12-54 for Drop C. I tried 4 differents sets before deciding to keep them. 11-50 is a good starting point for someone who is not used to using heavier gauge strings. Buy a couple of sets and test them out.
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #6
NWD2100

I like to have my guitar in standard tuning, and a spare one in drop d. Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts 10-46. I think these strings are amazing if you like to play metal. Feels good and sounds nice in both standard and drop d. I refuse to use any other kind. My neighbor was crying about his fingers hurting from it but we are supposed to be men lol.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantallica87
I use Dunlop Heavy Core heaviest gauge 12-54 for Drop C. I tried 4 differents sets before deciding to keep them. 11-50 is a good starting point for someone who is not used to using heavier gauge strings. Buy a couple of sets and test them out.

Honestly, this is what I would use (especially if you're not used to heavier strings). I tune my guitar to D standard and use 12-54. I tend to prefer heavier strings, but 12-54 would be good for Drop C.

Anyway, the advantage of Dunlop Heavy Core over many other strings is that they are designed for lower tunings. They have a thicker core, which means you get more mid-range punch and more audible attack to them. So, you will have a better tone for hard rock and metal.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/he...-guitar-strings

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Yesterday at 01:00 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #8
TheGroundZero

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm going to drop my Charvel. It's longer scale than the Les Paul so it seems to me it would handle the drop tuning better.

I think I'll try the 12-54s probably since I'm used to 11s at standard tuning. I might see if any of the guitars at Guitar Center have this gauge on them just to see what they feel like. Although I'm guessing none will.
Old Today, 03:36 AM   #9
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl21221
For Drop C, I use Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottoms. Tight bottom strings but quite "bendy" on the higher strings. Perfect for me.

Maybe some Not Even Slinky's? Considering you like the feel of standard tuning with 11s

Exactly this. I play in D Standard and Drop C, and use Skinny top heavy bottoms for the same reason.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: