Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Terry776

Mt-2 and a7x sound

There's other threads like this but I didn't get the answers I was looking for.
And please, everyone likes and dislikes, keep them to yourself.
I have a Marshall mg 100 dfx and a boss metal zone mt2. I'm a little new so don't insult my ignorance but, I want to be playing on the clean channel right? The overdrive channel gives wayyyyy too much feedback especially with the pedal on. What pedal/amp settings should I use to get a similar tone?

Thanks
Terry776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
I K0nijn I

Yes, you want to be playing on the clean channel. Don't use too much gain, rather push the volume and don't dial down the mids completely. They are the most important frequency range for a guitar, so keep them dialed in for sure. The MT-2 doesn't have a lot of midrange as it is, don't completely EQ it out. I'd try to keep the highs low as well, to maybe get rid of some of the fizz and harshness the MT-2 has.

Use the EQ on your amplifier smartly as well.

It'll never sound as solid as Avenged Sevenfold sounds, because to be honest, the MT-2 isn't a great pedal, but that shouldn't hold you back to try and get a sound you like.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
the_bi99man

Yeah, you want the clean channel. The Metal Zone pedal is going to provide your distortion, so you don't want any extra distortion coming from the amp. Multiple different distortions rarely sound good mashed together. Other than that, really just put the EQ on your amp flat, and then move the bass and treble as you play, until it sounds the way you like. You're not going to get that setup to sound just like Avenged Sevenfold, considering that they get their tone by using much much much higher end amps and effects, but you'll be able to get a serviceable distortion tone that will get the job done.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Terry776

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
Yeah, you want the clean channel. The Metal Zone pedal is going to provide your distortion, so you don't want any extra distortion coming from the amp. Multiple different distortions rarely sound good mashed together. Other than that, really just put the EQ on your amp flat, and then move the bass and treble as you play, until it sounds the way you like. You're not going to get that setup to sound just like Avenged Sevenfold, considering that they get their tone by using much much much higher end amps and effects, but you'll be able to get a serviceable distortion tone that will get the job done.

Should I return the mt2 and keep the overdrive channel and use this overdrive pedal I saw for a couple bucks more? Or should I max out everything but keep level and the low freq around 12 o clock and then invest in a decimator ISP or something. It's like $150, the sound was nice but too much feedback so I kinda want one.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
I K0nijn I

What overdrive are we talking about here? Be aware that overdrive pedals act differently to solid state amplifiers than they do to tube amplifiers. Make sure you test pedals through your the same amplifier as you have at home (even if that means bringing it into the shop).

Either way, returning the MT-2 might not be a bad idea. It's not a great pedal, through any amp. I had one to create a lot of chaos for a while and it sounded pretty bad through anything I've ever had for a serious metal sound. It sounds appealing when you've not had a good high-gain amplifier, though, so I understand the choice.

Maxing it out and then investing in a noise gate is a really bad idea. You shouldn't use a noise gate to get rid of noise you shouldn't have in the first place. Maxing it in general is a bad idea. It's not an HM-2 (which is maxed out for death metal).

I don't know how much gain a Marshall MG has (it's been years since I played one), but it might even be enough for Avenged Sevenfold if you EQ it well.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Terry776

Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
What overdrive are we talking about here? Be aware that overdrive pedals act differently to solid state amplifiers than they do to tube amplifiers. Make sure you test pedals through your the same amplifier as you have at home (even if that means bringing it into the shop).

Either way, returning the MT-2 might not be a bad idea. It's not a great pedal, through any amp. I had one to create a lot of chaos for a while and it sounded pretty bad through anything I've ever had for a serious metal sound. It sounds appealing when you've not had a good high-gain amplifier, though, so I understand the choice.

Maxing it out and then investing in a noise gate is a really bad idea. You shouldn't use a noise gate to get rid of noise you shouldn't have in the first place. Maxing it in general is a bad idea. It's not an HM-2 (which is maxed out for death metal).

I don't know how much gain a Marshall MG has (it's been years since I played one), but it might even be enough for Avenged Sevenfold if you EQ it well.

Tried to eq it didn't work right. Scooped mids 7 on the treble/gain didn't work. Is my mg 100dfx a tube or solid state?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Solid state.

It's gonna be hard at best getting a tone like Avenged Sevenfold out of an MG. They use like 10,000 dollar rigs.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)

Last edited by oneblackened : 07-28-2014 at 12:43 AM.
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry776
Tried to eq it didn't work right. Scooped mids 7 on the treble/gain didn't work. Is my mg 100dfx a tube or solid state?

Well no, it wouldn't, A7X don't scoop their mids anyway. Almost no band does these days because it sounds like ass when you do; the guitar lives in the mid range so taking out all those frequencies is a terrible idea.

I agree with oneblackened as well; you're very unlikely to get their tone out of what you have. What you have just isn't good enough.

Personally I'd be very much inclined to sell of the MG and get something smaller, better, and all around more practical for your purposes. The MG series are pretty bad and I'm sure you could get something better that would do more of what you want with a relatively small injection of cash.

For example: do you gig and/or are you planning to do so any time soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #9
Terry776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well no, it wouldn't, A7X don't scoop their mids anyway. Almost no band does these days because it sounds like ass when you do; the guitar lives in the mid range so taking out all those frequencies is a terrible idea.

I agree with oneblackened as well; you're very unlikely to get their tone out of what you have. What you have just isn't good enough.

Personally I'd be very much inclined to sell of the MG and get something smaller, better, and all around more practical for your purposes. The MG series are pretty bad and I'm sure you could get something better that would do more of what you want with a relatively small injection of cash.

For example: do you gig and/or are you planning to do so any time soon?

Yeah I felt like the BIGGEST noob when I realized I'm probably never going to use the fx......reverb? LOL. I feel so dumb I never use shit like that. Got it for $192 thought it was decent. The mt2 59.99
Anyway I'm not trying to get an exact tone I don't have the invader pickups or a sustaniac at that.

Question though, when I try to pluck the string to do a one handed harmonic to divebomb with the whammy pointing right, you can hear the string being plucked...and when someone like dimebag does it it just sounds like distortion don't even hear the string being plucked just the harmonic. And it's so CLEAN. With my there's buzz and feedback and whenever I play the e b or g string it sounds like a fraction of a mm of the string is touching the guitar making it buzz. **** I'm ranting at 1am. Wish I could just physically show a professional guitarist my problems and him be like problem x is caused by y which can be fixed by you not doing z.

Anyway though thanks for the input and the reply
Old 07-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #10
Terry776

Also I'm pissed as **** cause I took my guitar to the shop to get a string change it's a locking trem so the labor was $30 I tell him skinny top heavy bottom he put hybrid on my guitar I know it when I asked him he said otherwise but argh sorry just stressed today
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #11
the_bi99man

As for your divebombs, Dimebag's (and other's) whammy harmonics don't sound plucked because they aren't. Plucking still sounds fine, in my opinion, and that's how I do mine, as it's way easier, but Dimebag used a different technique. He would drop the strings slack with the whammy bar, and then slap them with his fret hand to get them vibrating, muting the spot for the harmonic in the same motion, while pulling off from the slap. Shit requires some serious finesse, which is why I don't do it. But that's what you gotta do for that super smooth sound.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #12
Terry776

Quote:
As for your divebombs, Dimebag's (and other's) whammy harmonics don't sound plucked because they aren't. Plucking still sounds fine, in my opinion, and that's how I do mine, as it's way easier, but Dimebag used a different technique. He would drop the strings slack with the whammy bar, and then slap them with his fret hand to get them vibrating, muting the spot for the harmonic in the same motion, while pulling off from the slap. Shit requires some serious finesse, which is why I don't do it. But that's what you gotta do for that super smooth sound.

People I know hit the string with their finger on the harmonic. I do it like dimebag. I pick the string dump the bar and as it's coming up I hit the harmonic. What he does is use his neck hand to pluck the string then instantly tap the harmonic. Which I think is bad ass and it sounds so smooth and perfect.... Something I can't get though is how for ex jacky Vincent does a divebomb it's already "falling" for me I have to pull up then back down to get it to dive. Idk.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 AM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Yeah I felt like the BIGGEST noob when I realized I'm probably never going to use the fx......reverb? LOL. I feel so dumb I never use shit like that. Got it for $192 thought it was decent. The mt2 59.99
Anyway I'm not trying to get an exact tone I don't have the invader pickups or a sustaniac at that.

The pickups are the last thing you should worry about anyway. And I'm really not talking about the effects or anything of the sort. What I mean is you don't need a 100w head unless you're gigging large arenas. You can do 99% of gigs with a decent 50w head and a 2x12 cab, or even a 30w head and a decent 2x12.

Quote:
Question though, when I try to pluck the string to do a one handed harmonic to divebomb with the whammy pointing right, you can hear the string being plucked...and when someone like dimebag does it it just sounds like distortion don't even hear the string being plucked just the harmonic. And it's so CLEAN. With my there's buzz and feedback and whenever I play the e b or g string it sounds like a fraction of a mm of the string is touching the guitar making it buzz. **** I'm ranting at 1am. Wish I could just physically show a professional guitarist my problems and him be like problem x is caused by y which can be fixed by you not doing z.

Anyway though thanks for the input and the reply

If you have a webcam (i.e. your laptop is less than about 5 years old) you can put a video on youtube and post in the appropriate thread in the Guitar Techniques forum, we have a thread dedicated to that.

Quote:

Actually you're wrong:

Dimebag's own lesson on the stuff he clearly says, twice, that he plucks, dumps the bar then hits the harmonic on the way up. His sound clear and smooth because he's got a metal track behind him on record and he does it really quick and super accurate.

The slapping method you're talking about is what Mattias Eklundh does, but not Dimebag.

Quote:
Also I'm pissed as **** cause I took my guitar to the shop to get a string change it's a locking trem so the labor was $30 I tell him skinny top heavy bottom he put hybrid on my guitar I know it when I asked him he said otherwise but argh sorry just stressed today

Learn to do it yourself man, it's not hard. Takes a bit of time at first but once you get used to it you can do it in a relatively short amount of time. It's sure as hell not worth $30 to get a string change.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Terry776

That's exactly what I said..in regards to dimebags divebombs he hits the harmonic instantly after the string no pick involved that's hard
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
That's exactly what I said..in regards to dimebags divebombs he hits the harmonic instantly after the string no pick involved that's hard

Yes. Yes it is. And he was bloody good at it. I think he does the same thing all the way back in those videos that exist from when he was 15 or 16 or whatever. Keep practising, you'll get it.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #16
Terry776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes. Yes it is. And he was bloody good at it. I think he does the same thing all the way back in those videos that exist from when he was 15 or 16 or whatever. Keep practising, you'll get it.

Going tomorrow to exchange the amp I don't need tge fx... Returning mt2 also getting the overdrive pedal to make my amps distortion stronger. Maybe a noise gate too. Do I want a solid state or tube? And how can you tell the difference? Open back?

Rate This Thread: