Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Tcrumpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bad idea to get a Floyd Rose guitar?

Ok so i've never had a good trem system on a guitar (the only one which had one was my beginner guitar ... yeah) so i've been looking into getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose (a high end guitar, like Ibanez Premium) but i've read countless articles and forum topics on how much of a pain they are to maintain and restring, and considering i'm thinking of buying one so that if i want to use a trem (as i seem to be focusing on Hard Rock and Metal songs recently) i can, it this a bad idea or for the price range i'm looking at 650 at least) will a trem system be of decent quality?

In case your wondering the guitar i'm considering is the following:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...d=49&color=CL01
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
HomerSGR
What?
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sweden
I own an Ibanez RG1XXV 25th Anniversary Premium Series, and it has the Edge Zero II with the zero point system like the guitar you put in a link to. A wonderful trem which has eliminated one of the most frustrating parts of setting up a Floyd Rose - needing to adjust the trem claw by screwing into the wood. This trem simply has a wheel which you can adjust without even removing the backplate.

People who complain about the Floyd Rose-type system generally do not even know how to set them up properly. It is much easier than it seems, and I feel it gets a lot of unjustified bad press. In reality it is a simple and really logical system to deal with once you understand it.

Changing strings and tuning the guitar does not take much longer than restringing any other guitar. What amounts for the extra time is the time it takes to unlock the locking nut and cut the ball ends of the strings, really... You just need to block the trem when changing strings. (If you don't, then sure, it will take 20 minutes to tune it.)

Owning another guitar with a Floyd Rose Original, I can just tell you that the Edge Zero II will be easier to handle, certainly because of the adjustment wheel on the back.
__________________
Gear:

Yamaha SG2000
Gibson LP Std Faded
Gibson LP Deluxe
Fender Am Std Strat
Fender Std Strat
Fender Am Std Tele
Fender Am Std Tele
Charvel San Dimas
ESP Eclipse 1CTM
Jackson RR5
Ibanez RG1XXV
PRS SE C24
Schecter Blackjack V-1
HomerSGR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Tcrumpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
I own an Ibanez RG1XXV 25th Anniversary Premium Series, and it has the Edge Zero II with the zero point system like the guitar you put in a link to. A wonderful trem which has eliminated one of the most frustrating parts of setting up a Floyd Rose - needing to adjust the trem claw by screwing into the wood. This trem simply has a wheel which you can adjust without even removing the backplate.

People who complain about the Floyd Rose-type system generally do not even know how to set them up properly. It is much easier than it seems, and I feel it gets a lot of unjustified bad press. In reality it is a simple and really logical system to deal with once you understand it.

Changing strings and tuning the guitar does not take much longer than restringing any other guitar. What amounts for the extra time is the time it takes to unlock the locking nut and cut the ball ends of the strings, really... You just need to block the trem when changing strings. (If you don't, then sure, it will take 20 minutes to tune it.)

Owning another guitar with a Floyd Rose Original, I can just tell you that the Edge Zero II will be easier to handle, certainly because of the adjustment wheel on the back.

Well as this would be my first trem system i wouldn't know how to set one up either, i'm only a average player
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR

People who complain about the Floyd Rose-type system generally do not even know how to set them up properly. It is much easier than it seems, and I feel it gets a lot of unjustified bad press. In reality it is a simple and really logical system to deal with once you understand it.

Let's face it though, adjusting the intonation on a floyd genuinely is a pain in the ass.
__________________
If you wish to go with your gut, you must first acquire a gut.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Jeffh40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrumpen
Well as this would be my first trem system i wouldn't know how to set one up either, i'm only a average player



Just YouTube it. It really isn't that hard. Once you've done it once, it is a piece of cake.



I just have one guitar with a F/R. I really like it. It stays in tune well and is just as reliable as any fixed bridge I own. I guess what I am saying is that a well set up F/R is really no more work than a fixed bridge, except a little more effort to change strings.
Jeffh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Jeffh40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Let's face it though, adjusting the intonation on a floyd genuinely is a pain in the ass.



+1 BUT, once the intonation is set, it is set.

I wouldn't use a F/R on any guitar that I changed tuning in or changed string sizes alot. Use a fixed bridge for that.
Jeffh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Tcrumpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh40
+1 BUT, once the intonation is set, it is set.

I wouldn't use a F/R on any guitar that I changed tuning in or changed string sizes alot. Use a fixed bridge for that.

I don't change tunings very often, i'm mianly in Standard tuning right now, i do have an SG guitar which i'm currently using so i'd prob use that for diff tunings
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh40
+1 BUT, once the intonation is set, it is set.

I wouldn't use a F/R on any guitar that I changed tuning in or changed string sizes alot. Use a fixed bridge for that.

Sometimes different sets of the same gauge, and even the same brand have slightly different intonation points, and that's a pain in the butt.
__________________
If you wish to go with your gut, you must first acquire a gut.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
It's not really that much of a pain to restring. I would actually say it may even be easier to restring than a regular guitar. You just lock the string in place and don't need to worry about the string being too short/slipping out of tune.

But doing any adjustments is going to be a pain in the ass. Even getting it in tune can be pain in the ass, because when you tune one string up, the others go down and then you notice that the bridge tuners aren't enough and you need to open the locking nut. It takes time to get it in tune. But once it is well set up and in tune, it will also stay in tune no matter how hard you abuse it.

So yeah, don't change tunings on a Floyd guitar. Keep it in one tuning. Also, as others have said, use one kind of strings and stick with them.

If I could choose now, I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd but rather a guitar with a standard tremolo system. I don't really go crazy with the whammy bar and a standard tremolo will handle that. But yeah, that's just me. Some people just need a Floyd (if you are like every guitarist in the 80s).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
the_bi99man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
The accounts of the difficulty of dealing with a Floyd Rose are greatly exaggerated. Take a couple minutes to learn how it works, and it won't give you any trouble.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Danustar
Registered User
 
Danustar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Not to mention you probs won't be changing (breaking) strings as often with a Floyd compared to a Tune o matic for example.

Intonation adjustment on an actual Floyd Rose is a piece of cake. Apparently the Edge Zero II is a bit of a chore.
__________________
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Danustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
richtone still has some of the MIJ charvels in stock, including some with no case for 500. Might be worth a try.

they have the korean OFR (not quite as good as the german one, but good enough to be getting on with, and allegedly a direct swap for the german one) and are nice guitar. trem is not recessed, though, so no massive up-pulls (but a bit easier to restring and less chance of breaking a string).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
anders.jorgense
Registered User
 
anders.jorgense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Also if one string break all the rest of the strings go out of tune.

No option for a Drop D from E.

Do you really need it just because you play metal?

I have only heard one player do great work with a vibrato and that was Jimi with a stock vintage Fender Strat flipped over to be lefthanded.
anders.jorgense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders.jorgense
Also if one string break all the rest of the strings go out of tune.

No option for a Drop D from E.

Do you really need it just because you play metal?


There's always the DTuna, I guess.

I bought the Variax JTV-89F (Floyd) to allow me to do alternate tunings all over the place and still use the Floyd.

If you break one string, all the rest are out of tune, but I really haven't broken a string on a Floyd-equipped guitar yet (but I do have backups). While it really hasn't happened, I can see that being an issue for only about three minutes...And a broken string would be an issue for me with any guitar.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Jeffh40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders.jorgense
Also if one string break all the rest of the strings go out of tune.

No option for a Drop D from E.




Sure there is. The fine tuners have plenty of range to tune to drop D if it is normally tuned in E std. You just have to adjust the fine tuners before you lock the strings.

And, of course, when you change to drop D, you need to retune all 6 strings.


That is about as far as you can change tunings before it gets to be a real pain in the butt though.
Jeffh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Tcrumpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
It's not really that much of a pain to restring. I would actually say it may even be easier to restring than a regular guitar. You just lock the string in place and don't need to worry about the string being too short/slipping out of tune.

But doing any adjustments is going to be a pain in the ass. Even getting it in tune can be pain in the ass, because when you tune one string up, the others go down and then you notice that the bridge tuners aren't enough and you need to open the locking nut. It takes time to get it in tune. But once it is well set up and in tune, it will also stay in tune no matter how hard you abuse it.

So yeah, don't change tunings on a Floyd guitar. Keep it in one tuning. Also, as others have said, use one kind of strings and stick with them.

If I could choose now, I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd but rather a guitar with a standard tremolo system. I don't really go crazy with the whammy bar and a standard tremolo will handle that. But yeah, that's just me. Some people just need a Floyd (if you are like every guitarist in the 80s).

I'm going to be staying in standard tuning practically all the time, i actually make an effort to not learn songs in drop tunings, partially because i have an anxiety problem and for some unknown reason i keep thinking that if i drop the tuning to much i'm going to break the guitar, either way if i need to different tuning my SG can do that, it's just that the stock pickups (to me anyway) arn't giving out enough punch for metal music
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
cyber06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
I was having the same concerns when I bought my first floyd rose guitar, which is the Kirk Hammet White Zombie Guitar. The guitar never goes out of tune and it stays in standard. I use my LTD EC-1000 for the drop D tunings and whatever.

I say go for it and get the guitar you want. I love having a floyd trem.
cyber06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
I never break strings with my edge zero, so them all going out of tune is not an issue at all to me. I find them very fast to restring, better for staying in tune than a hardtail, easy to keep set up properly if you know what you're doing and for me fine tuners/locking nuts are far superior to machine heads.

Only reason not to have one is if you change tunings, don't bother with the crap they sell saying you can use to drop tune etc, waste of money.

Also a blocked FR will be far better than any hardtail also for tuning stability and not breaking strings, possibly hardtails will get more tone because of better contact...but meh

Last edited by Tempoe : 10-24-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.