Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
PWHITTEN

Help Me Choose A Guitar. Prs Vs Charvel

Hey guys im looking to a buy a guitar within the 1100 dollar price range

currently looking at the charvel san dimas and the prs custom 24se(possibly will get the one with the floyd)

just wondering which you guys think was maybe better for the money.

and also if anyone has experience with both of these necks and which do they like more?

im into playing blues/rock/jazz and metal. im a sucker for those hot tones
PWHITTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
ikey_

oooo tough. both are amazing guitars. the charvel has some classic pups right? like a JB and a Jazz? fairly versatile. PRS pups seem to be very versatile but from my opinion have a "prs tonality" to them. i would try em out and make sure you like the heavier tones coming out of the guitar.

personally, i like the satin or oil rubbed neck of charvels. very nice touch and its what i want on a guitar. PRS does it, but it seems like 75% of thier guitars have the painted necks.

on the flip side, i have smaller hands and at times i think stretches on a 25.5 scale is too much. 25 is just right. so perhaps that wins me over but thats a personal problem.

i think the charvel will most likely have jumbos. prs may or may not have medium jumbos.

im not much of a strat guy. that on top of the 25.5 i think i would most likely end up going with the PRS personally. if the charvel was 25 scale or had some form on 24.75 conversion neck on it, and it wait aiming more at the gainer side of stuff, i think the charvel may be a great toy for me. if i had to pick only one, PRS.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)

Last edited by ikey_ : 07-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Robbgnarly

If your in the USA, get a used PRS CE24/22 they are USA made PRS guitars that are identical to the custom 22/24 but they have a bolt-thru maple neck
Here is a Ce24 for $1099 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...403-i3744151.gc

If your fine with 22 frets, here is one for $899
http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Use...088-i3772431.gc

I've had a CE22 for 10+ yrs and it is a very good guitar.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
PWHITTEN

located in the uk unfortunately posted in dollars as i see this forum is primarily us
Old 07-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

If you're in the UK those Japanese-made Charvels which Richtone has somehow managed to find are going to be very, very hard to beat for 600, at least new.

There are also some of those EVH Japanese-made guitars for 700, I haven't tried them, though. Word on the street is they're made in the same factory as the Charvels I mentioned. No case, though, and no duncans. But presumably of similar quality other than that, if you don't mind a signature model.

I haven't tried the SE custom 24 floyd, and to be fair it's a good while since I've tried the SEs, but based on the ones I have tried, I'd have said the MIJ charvels (and the EVH, if the assumptions I've made are correct) would be a step up from them.

EDIT: No worries on posting the dollar thing, I understand why you did it, but just for future reference it's nomally better to post your local currency and/or your country, since if you post dollars people will assume you're american, and prices and availability varies by country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-18-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
If your in the USA, get a used PRS CE24/22 they are USA made PRS guitars that are identical to the custom 22/24 but they have a bolt-thru maple neck
Here is a Ce24 for $1099 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...403-i3744151.gc

If your fine with 22 frets, here is one for $899
http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Use...088-i3772431.gc

I've had a CE22 for 10+ yrs and it is a very good guitar.

Came in to say this.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWHITTEN
located in the uk unfortunately posted in dollars as i see this forum is primarily us

Actually my understanding is this is a Russian forum.

But go with DaveMC's suggestion or look for a used PRS CE in your area. Might be a long shot, but you might get lucky
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Yeah russian I think

Used is a crapshoot, you can get some good deals (especially at the moment I think, I know on the fretboard forum (mainly UK-centric) people are always complaining about how little used gear goes for ) but it's very hard to advise because (a) it depends on whether the item is legit and/or in decent condition and more importantly (b) it's impossible to say what to look out for because you never know what's going to come up at a really good price- you can just get lucky, as you said, but we can't predict exactly how you're going to get lucky In the UK, though, Patrick Eggles might be worth a try. The older, pre-tiggle, ones are more sought-after. They're PRS-ish.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
JustRooster
Organ Donor

They host the server for the tabs in Russia so the MPAA can't give us the same fate as MXtabs and pearlyrics.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
PWHITTEN

hmm strange to see so many backing the charvel more than the prs. i thought it would possibly be the otherway round. im so torn in two
Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you were talking about USA prses it'd be different. An SE is a different kettle of fish, like epiphone compared to gibson.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Easily the Charvel, especially if you can find a used MIJ one.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWHITTEN
hmm strange to see so many backing the charvel more than the prs. i thought it would possibly be the otherway round. im so torn in two

An MIJ Charvel will be a much better guitar than a PRS SE model. Ilke Dave said the SE like is quite different than the USA made PRS line.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
PWHITTEN

and what about the new mim pro mod charvels compared to the mij? they have a few down my local store
Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ If you can try them, then do that. I haven't tried the MIMs, but most would normally say that MIJ is usually a step up from MIM. However, (presumably) the neck profiles etc. are broadly similar so it'll let you see if you like that style of guitar. Personally I'd get an MIJ, but it's of course up to you (plus as I said I haven't tried the MIMs so I may well be mistaken).

Bear in mind, with the Japanese ones the tremolos aren't recessed, and also the MIJ so cal models have dimarzios (tone zone and evo), not duncan distortions like the MIMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
Easily the Charvel, especially if you can find a used MIJ one.

A guitar shop here (richtone) has a bunch of the new MIJ ones currently (and a few more on order). No need to go used unless he wants to- they're under his budget already, even new.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
PWHITTEN

would you guys say the charvel san dimas/so cal is the best all rounder good guitar at this price point?
Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
PWHITTEN

or would there be anything else at all you could reccomend. that being said the charvel looks fantastic but just wondering if any other options?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ibanez prestiges (also made in japan) are normally worth a look. sometimes you can find new or new old stock models for sale for around that kind of money.

It depends on what you mean by "all-rounder". Those charvels are pretty 80s-looking. Also it depends on whether you want a double-locking tremolo or not- if you do, at this type of price range, you don't actually have that many options because you want to make sure the guitar has a decent-quality floyd rose in there. Plus having the option of Japanese-made guitars at ~600 is a real bonus, since a lot of manufactures only offer Korean-built, or even Indonesian- or Chinese-built guitars at that kind of money. (Just to clarify, I'm not saying Koreans, Indonesians or the Chinese can't build good guitars, they can, I'm saying that companies generally outsource to factories in those countries to save money and to make lower-end guitars.)

the pickups in the san dimas (duncan JB and '59) are one of the more versatile pickup sets you can get, so from that point of view, if not the cosmetics, it's pretty versatile. It's arguably more versatile than the so cal from that point of view- the tone zone is pretty versatile too but pretty dark-sounding (bit dark for more vintage stuff maybe) and the evo neck pickup is probably less of an all-rounder than the 59, too.

if you're looking at the MIMs, the jb/59 set in the san dimas is again more versatile than the distortion set in the so cal.

EDIT: godins might be worth a look- they make several superstrats

i've seen some good deals on fret king blue labels recently- i think they're discontinuing the blue label range for the lower spec black label range so there are deals to be had on new and new old stock models. Sometimes as low as 300 on Ebay (sold by shops, new). They're a lot more vintage-looking, and have gotoh/wilkinson trems rather than floyds. They're korean-made- they're very nice if you get them for ~300, but I think the MIJ guitars I mentioned have the edge, both in terms of the quality of the guitar, and also the pickups.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ If you can try them, then do that. I haven't tried the MIMs, but most would normally say that MIJ is usually a step up from MIM. However, (presumably) the neck profiles etc. are broadly similar so it'll let you see if you like that style of guitar. Personally I'd get an MIJ, but it's of course up to you (plus as I said I haven't tried the MIMs so I may well be mistaken).

Bear in mind, with the Japanese ones the tremolos aren't recessed, and also the MIJ so cal models have dimarzios (tone zone and evo), not duncan distortions like the MIMs.

A guitar shop here (richtone) has a bunch of the new MIJ ones currently (and a few more on order). No need to go used unless he wants to- they're under his budget already, even new.

None that I've been able to find in the US unfortunately :/
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
PWHITTEN

(SORRY for all these questions) looking at the charvel is seem there is no tone nob. how do you go about getting those nice warm rolled off santana sort of sounds from it?

Rate This Thread: