Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #12541
Space frog
Call me Vince

Cool stuff AJ, I've been curious about these Carvin CT7s, can't wait to hear what you have to say. I never owned a set neck guitar so I'm even more curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Yeah, just checked em out.

The ones I've seen are either very entry level or far beyond budget.

The new Dinky models must not be all that expensive.. It's under 1K here, so I reckon it should be around 600 pounds for you? (I'm too lazy to check it up )

Otherwise follow Tom's advice and go for a RG if you can. RG1527m if you can. Sweet mother of mercy I swear to god I'll own one some day

http://www.youtube.com/user/spacefrogify
http://soundcloud.com/space-frog

My band

Current gear:
Carvin DC727
Jackson DK2M Dinky
90s Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Orange PPC412

Last edited by Space frog : 02-26-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Space frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #12542
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
i actually dont know if they make 7 string capos. maybe a bass capo would work? or do you mean only putting the capo on the lowest string? either way, if you were to capo all but the lowest string, you would only mimic the drop C tuning when playing the lowest C5 chord. your guitar would still be standard tuned so chords like 55578x wouldnt work.

Hm I didn't really think the tuning through when I posted that a few days ago. It's making a lot more sense now. So if I get a 7-string to play lower-than-standard songs, I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to pedal point riffs and extended power chords, yes?

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion

Last edited by triface : 02-26-2013 at 03:36 AM.
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #12543
VVolverin3
Caparison Enthusiast

Location: Australia FTW Club, PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join
^ The question is, what are you trying to achieve by having a 7 string to do that with?

Could you not just get a 6 string, tune it down to Drop A or whatever and then use a Capo? If you're looking to do that but then also have a standard tuned guitar when you remove the capo then yeah a 7 might work but you'd run into a problem with tuning it as the interval between the high G and B strings wouldn't line up right for when you're drop tuning with the capo. If that makes sense.
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
VVolverin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #12544
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

You don't need a 7-string capo. I just use a normal 6-string capo and it works on my 7-string guitar, 5-string bass, anything really . It works pretty well on my 7-string. With it being tuned to G, I use it to play songs in A or Bb or I use it to play songs in standard or drop D if I can't be arsed to pick up my standard-tuned guitar

Last edited by eddiehimself : 02-26-2013 at 07:34 AM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #12545
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Would it be possible to drop the first string to A and capo the third fret for playing something like drop C? I understand the rest of the strings would be different, but I'm willing to transcribe the songs onto such a guitar as long as I won't have problems with things like pedal point riffs.

Yeah, depending on the songs you also rarely need to do any capo stuff. I learn almost everything by ear tuned to drop A or B standard and just refinger awkward stuff. I have been forced to retune only twice in the last 5 (6?) years.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #12546
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolverin3
^ The question is, what are you trying to achieve by having a 7 string to do that with?

Could you not just get a 6 string, tune it down to Drop A or whatever and then use a Capo? If you're looking to do that but then also have a standard tuned guitar when you remove the capo then yeah a 7 might work but you'd run into a problem with tuning it as the interval between the high G and B strings wouldn't line up right for when you're drop tuning with the capo. If that makes sense.

I'm a really lazy person, so as much as possible, I'd like to keep from having to tune to a vastly different tuning (moving steps down does constitute as vastly different . With a 7-string, I understand I have all the notes required all the way down to a drop C tuning, so theoretically I wouldn't have to downtune my guitar. However, metal, being metal, does lots of open pedal point riffs, which I wouldn't be able to do in some cases.

I totally understand what you're talking about regarding the G and B strings. I was playing around with the tunings and they're sharped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
You don't need a 7-string capo. I just use a normal 6-string capo and it works on my 7-string guitar, 5-string bass, anything really . It works pretty well on my 7-string. With it being tuned to G, I use it to play songs in A or Bb or I use it to play songs in standard or drop D if I can't be arsed to pick up my standard-tuned guitar

I could be really thick, but when you say your guitar is tuned to G, do you mean the 7th string is tuned to G, as in C standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Yeah, depending on the songs you also rarely need to do any capo stuff. I learn almost everything by ear tuned to drop A or B standard and just refinger awkward stuff. I have been forced to retune only twice in the last 5 (6?) years.

That's good to know! I guess even though some songs may be a bit iffy without the right tool, there's still a crapload of songs that I can play without trouble just by having a 7-string in standard tuning.

Thanks for the input guys! I was really on the fence about getting an extended range guitar because I wasn't sure it works as well as I thought it did for playing songs that aren't in standard tuning.

Theoretically this could be expanded to an 8-string guitar, in that I could probably play a song in drop Ab or drop G without problem, right?

(I hope I'm getting the names of the tunings right)

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #12547
Freepower

Quote:
Theoretically this could be expanded to an 8-string guitar, in that I could probably play a song in drop Ab or drop G without problem, right?

Theoretically, but in my experience almost all 8 strings are a lot tougher on the hands than 7s, and a lot tougher to keep unwanted strings muted. 6 to 7 was easy, 7 to 8 took lots of work. Try one if you can before you test the theory.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #12548
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Theoretically, but in my experience almost all 8 strings are a lot tougher on the hands than 7s, and a lot tougher to keep unwanted strings muted. 6 to 7 was easy, 7 to 8 took lots of work. Try one if you can before you test the theory.

Ooooh boy. I forgot about the part where my hand doesn't grow bigger to accommodate the bigger neck...

I'll keep that in mind. I was leaning more towards getting an 8-string, but now I'm going to have to rethink some things...

Or get some surgery in my hand...

Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #12549
Freepower

Definitely try before you buy with 8s. Also, if you want to play tight djenty stuff... 28in scale at least imho.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #12550
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
I could be really thick, but when you say your guitar is tuned to G, do you mean the 7th string is tuned to G, as in C standard?

What I mean is that you play using drop G. That way, the rest of the strings are tuned like a standard guitar, only one step down.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #12551
Space frog
Call me Vince

Quote:
Definitely try before you buy with 8s. Also, if you want to play tight djenty stuff... 28in scale at least imho.

I agree with that BUT you will have troubles with smaller strings on a higher scale, depending on your tuning.. my 1st string used to always break on my Agile ahah

if you can go multiscale, that's the best for tighter lows and smoother highs.

My band

Current gear:
Carvin DC727
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Orange PPC412

Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #12552
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space frog
Cool stuff AJ, I've been curious about these Carvin CT7s, can't wait to hear what you have to say. I never owned a set neck guitar so I'm even more curious.

The new Dinky models must not be all that expensive.. It's under 1K here, so I reckon it should be around 600 pounds for you? (I'm too lazy to check it up )

Otherwise follow Tom's advice and go for a RG if you can. RG1527m if you can. Sweet mother of mercy I swear to god I'll own one some day

I've looked ,that's about the same price as one of the new LTD's (was considering either a V-307, EC-307 or one of the Jackson models...

Is that the Pro series Space Frog? If so I'll check em out.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #12553
Space frog
Call me Vince

Yeah its the pro series. DKA7 and DKA8 more specifically. Very good specs IMO.

My band

Current gear:
Carvin DC727
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Orange PPC412

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #12554
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

The DKA7 looks nice, also liking the none EMG route, again not in UK as of yet.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #12555
Mister A.J.
Fallacious Purple

CT7's here.

And oh my god, it is quite literally the most comfortable guitar I have ever played in the entirety of my life.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #12556
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Sweet merciful Jebus that is beautiful! Epic HNGD right there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #12557
littlemurph7976

Oh my word, congrats! HNGD!

MOAR PICTURES PLZ

Spector Rebop 5

Framus Dragon
Mesa Boogie Recto 2x12

littlemurph7976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #12558
Mister A.J.
Fallacious Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sweet merciful Jebus that is beautiful! Epic HNGD right there...

I had the exact same reaction. I was expecting something with less flame, but holy hell they went above and beyond on it.

They did misspell my name though. Oh well. It's a f**king awesome guitar regardless.

Linky to more pics. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590228

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show

Last edited by Mister A.J. : 02-26-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #12559
SYLrules88
I Play Drums!

posted in your thread as well, but its worth saying congrats again! that top really is insane. i love your color and wood choices! beautiful!!!
ESP Horizon
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD AX-350
Frankentele
Carvin V3 + Avatar Cab

SYLrules88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #12560
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
What I mean is that you play using drop G. That way, the rest of the strings are tuned like a standard guitar, only one step down.

Ah, yes. I wasn't sure if you were in a dropped tuning or standard tuning.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space frog
I agree with that BUT you will have troubles with smaller strings on a higher scale, depending on your tuning.. my 1st string used to always break on my Agile ahah

if you can go multiscale, that's the best for tighter lows and smoother highs.

I've been researching on scale lengths and it seems that generally the problem with 25.5" and shorter scale lengths is that the strings get too floppy. Wouldn't that be remedied by using larger strings?

I'm looking at getting a used guitar, so scale length is unfortunately out of my control.

Rate This Thread: