Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
adityasen

Unhappy Orange Dual Terror vs Marshall MA50H vs Egnater Tweaker

Right on, which one to get? I've played all three, and I can't decide between them. So I'd like to get some opinions...

(I live down in Australia, and all three heads cost around the same, hence why the comparision)

-> Orange Dual Terror:

Pros: Sounds Awesome + Foot Switch
Cons: No Fx Loop + Clean channel is still slightly middy

-> Marshall MA50H

Pros: Fairly good Marshall tone, maybe not as good as the JCM's + Fx Loop + Foot Switch
Cons: Haven't really found a good crunch tone, sounds a bit artificial. 50W might be too loud for home?

-> Egnater Tweaker

Pros: Brilliant sound, have yet to find a bad tone out of this + Fx Loop
Cons: No Footswitch, needs a bit of "tweaking" (heh) to get the right tone

I play a 60's Strat, and own a 1x12 Orange Cab with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Edit: I mostly play Pink Floyd / Beatles / RHCP..

Last edited by adityasen : 09-11-2010 at 05:52 AM.
adityasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
kacper_j
UG's only lhkawebtgfpribg

I'd say Tweaker
kacper_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

the Marshall MA series is their entry level valve amps, cleans are superb, however I do find the overdrive lacks balls and the solo stage is too mid rangey.

Think MG's with valves.

last.fm yo
GezzyDiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
CreepingDeath13
UGUGUGUGUGUGUGUGUGUGUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GezzyDiversion
the Marshall MA series is their entry level valve amps, cleans are superb, however I do find the overdrive lacks balls and the solo stage is too mid rangey.

Think MG's with valves.

i went through 2 of the 100w combos, got a refund in the end. but like you said the overdrive was a bit lacking and kinda buzzy. the clean was the best part on it, quite bassy and mid rangey, hard to get a trebly clean twang though.
CreepingDeath13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
adityasen

Hmm, yea the overdrive on the Marshall sorta put it on the bottom of the list.

I'm aiming more towards the tweaker, but there's no footswitch. Looking at the Orange, there's a footswitch, but then it lacks an fx loop.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i run my tweaker through an orange 112 with good results.

sure no footswitch so it you want to go dirt to clean on the floor, you need a good dirt pedal.

i prefer the amp with EL34s, and new preamp tubes.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
MM14
Master Baster

Tweaker
MM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Guitarmiester
Three Minute Warning

The Orange blows them all out of the water. What other gear are you using? Unless you're a heavy delay user, you really don't need an effects loop.
Guitarmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
adityasen

^
Apart from the Strat i also have an Epiphone LP.

In terms of pedals, I have a Boss Blues Driver 2, Boss Compression Sustainer 3, a dunlop wah, and have a delay pedal coming on the way (DD-3).

My current amp is just a 15w Vox Pathfinder, so I've never really used pedals in effects loop.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Guitarmiester
Three Minute Warning

You'll be running all of those pedals in front of whichever amp you get, with exception of the delay. Delay can go before the amp or in the effects loop, it depends what you're using it for. Any idea if you'll be using the delay for cleans, leads, or both? I wouldn't let an effects loop be your deciding factor in choosing an amp.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
adityasen

I would use the delay mostly on cleans. Think U2 or David Gilmour.

Amps come down to the tone, and I can't really fault the Orange or the Egnater. If I had the money, I'd buy both, but alas, only one it has to be....
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Guitarmiester
Three Minute Warning

I'd go for the Orange, since I wasn't thrilled with the Tweaker and didn't find it to live up to the hype at all. It's all up to you though. Don't let my opinion or anyone else sway you, use your ears to decide what's going to make you happy. Let us know what you go with.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester
The Orange blows them all out of the water. What other gear are you using? Unless you're a heavy delay user, you really don't need an effects loop.

it's in a different league from the tweaker imo.
superior if anyone isn't clear what i mean.

but it's a matter of taste and i was offering my input on the tweaker, not saying he should get it.

an eq with the orange may remove the "middy" cleans, unless the TS meant "muddy", still and eq would help.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I agree Greg. I've not played the Dual Terror but I have played the Tiny Terror. With EL34s the Tweaker really shines imo. I would hard pressed to believe that the Dual Terror 'blows it out of the water'

greg - where is that clip?

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 09-11-2010 at 02:02 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
FuzzLove

I've never heard a Tweaker in person.

But in my opinion the Dual Terror is an awful sounding amp, far too bassy, the TT channel is useless, very messy sounding over all. And it looks stupid too.

The MA series is just a joke.

So if the Orange really does 'blow the others out of the water' then the Tweaker must suck huge testicles.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
FuzzLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

this sounds pretty good to me...

this is greg on my cab with his Tweaker. i don't think he new I was recording. hell, I don't think i knew i was recording.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Twea... mp3?w=d5eb14b2

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 09-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Guitarmiester
Three Minute Warning

I've only played the Tweaker stock. I'm sure a tube change would help, but I had no intentions of buying one to find out. Looking at it from a stock standpoint, I had a hard time dialing in a usable, articulate tone. Even with the bass at minimum and gain at 9-10 o'clock, it sounded muddy and undefined no matter what setting I had it in. Maybe an OD could have done the trick. I just didn't find the Tweaker to be anything special. Ok cleans and a muddy lead channel.

Orange wouldn't be my first choice, as they're one trick ponies. Sticking with the low wattage side of amps, I'd take a Blackstar over anything.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
patriotplayer90

I advise against the tweaker. the od is utterly unusable. The orange sounds best from what I've heard.
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
adityasen

Hmm. a lot of mixed opinions on the tweaker vs dual terror.

I tried out the tweaker as there seemed to be a lot of raving on the internetz about the amp, but I can surely say that I wasn't blown by it. It was a good amp no doubt, and had some great tones, but maybe I was let down by having high expectations from the start.

The dirty channel on the dual terror has some stupid amount of gain that i'd probably never use in a lifetime. But rolling it back a bit got some really nice tones.

Again, as I mentioned before, my choice of amps are purely limited by budget, and sadly the prices here in Australia don't always match up to the American scale. That being said, feel free to suggest other amps that I might have overlooked, and I'll see if I can give them a test run...
Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i run my tweaker through an orange 112 with good results.

sure no footswitch so it you want to go dirt to clean on the floor, you need a good dirt pedal.

i prefer the amp with EL34s, and new preamp tubes.

i just got an orange 2x12" and the tweaker loves it, so the cabinet would be great for really any amp.

i own both the dual terror and the tweaker. i like the dual terror a lot better. having two channels for me is more importaiant than an effects loop. i even get by using my 616 out fornt keeping the TT channel at a lower gain setting. it isn't ideal, but i can get by.

the tweaker is far more versatile, but i don't really love the AC settings on there, and havn't found a use. and the USA setting isn't the best if you are looking for a heavier OD. but the marshally setting on high gain and low gain is awesome.

i also may look into the EL34 swap.

personally i use my orange a lot more.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: