User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #61
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
Wait progbass, you don't mean to say that black and death metal is not a driving force in how todays metal is created, even if the earliest bands used power chords and poorly created vocals in comparison to the speed and thrash bands that dominated the scene at the time of their inception?

Can you spare me the would-be novel of an argument and just say that metalheads do in fact listen to powerchord-based music so I can either quickly provide evidence for my claim or learn from my mistakes and accept that I've just made a false generalization instead of bringing up some movement chances are I've never even heard about?

I'm willing to admit I have no real knowledge of metal history and am just going by what I've experienced and heard. I've only been in the metal scene for like 2 years.

So a lot of underground metal is in fact power-chord based. Point taken. That still doesn't change what I was trying to say originally as I only gave my personal opinion and not anyone elses. I don't like sole-powerchord riffage. It's boring to me. I don't listen to that type of metal. You however assumed I did, somehow making my "point"... pointless. Unless you interpreted my post as a speech on all metalheads' behalves, I don't know why you even had to go and contridict my "point". And if you did interpret it that way, well... I wasn't doing that. The fact that you dragged me into an argument made me make the generalization along the lines by mere accident in attempt to defend my standpoint (I suck at arguing, what other explanation could you possibly want?). I wasn't here to argue, I just gave my two cents. Argument over on terms of "not feeling it today."

Let's just get over this and keep the topic from becoming a complete derail.
WizMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #62
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS

It doesn't matter how simple the piece of music is, you're just making a bullshit guideline for yourself that you'll cross at some point anyway or will pretend to attend to in the future : "Ooh, this is good. Wait, no, what's that, did I just hear a power chord. What utter shite." You're saying that you don't like metal that is power chord based which is utterly facking absurd, you might as well say "I don't like bands that are in e standard, it's too simple".
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
illuminatiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #63
P1ayingW1thF1re
Ever-opening flower

wtf is punk
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #64
ColinMacIsaac0
Hey Goo, what's new?

I only like music that has absolutely no power chords in it.
ColinMacIsaac0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #65
Nakedbythecomp
BTBAM/Wonder Years fanboy

Chords are too mainstream, I like when musicians use... well actually nevermind, you've probably never heard of it.

/hipster
Nakedbythecomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #66
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

The closest thing I have to punk is Rise Against, other than that I don't really listen to it, but a lot of it is alright.

Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #67
CG Man16
hey

No

Next question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
CG Man16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #68
Contraband
Within the Realm

I think it wouldn't be much of a stretch to conclude that most people's conception of punk consists of Green Day, Sex Pistols, NOFX and the Ramones. It's easy to confuse that with the actually offensive evolution otherwise known to be hardcore punk.

Who here who says they don't enjoy punk has actually listened to Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing or Dealing With It or Let's Start a War or Convicted or Arise!?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #69
Riffmast
Sperm Of Andychrist

You forgot that allot of "metalheads" listen to only weak over processed techy stuff that has next to no punk or good metal influence left.For example,there is no Punk influence in Dream Theater.

Riffmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #70
Austriaal_
Salad Dodger

I went through my punk-hating stage when I really started getting into metal, even though it was punk that introduced me to music in general in the first place. I love punk, especially old school hardcore punk, stuff like Poison Idea, Minor Threat etc. Sometimes punk is just a simple, even fun break from metal - except when it's Yellowcard, but anyone who considers them punk should probably get a lobotomy.
Austriaal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #71
Zero Substance

Metal punks all the way. I started with punk, got into crust, got into sludge/doom/death/black/what have you. Denying that you like punk and calling yourself a metalhead is a contradiction.
Zero Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #72
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

lol punx is stupid bcoz they cant play axe solos n the msuic is all powrkords

The best subgenres are everything crust related (from 80s crust to extreme metal), powerviolence and stuff, and heavy metal. Op is a pretty cool guy. Void/Faith split is awesome

Last edited by Cianyx : 09-20-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #73
radio_schizo
don't look now

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
My point is that the 2nd wave of black metal, which did evolve underground, and was later exploited all to hell, started with a bunch of guys playing in punk aesthetics.

Exactly my view...and Fenriz and Nocturno are pretty open about their punk influences. All the best black 1st wave metal like Hellhammer, CF, Venom, Bathory, 2nd wave like Darkthrone early Mayhem as well and new bands like Aura Noir, Gallhammer all capture the true essence of extreme music. raw, fast, simple and ugly. I find the reason why I am a bit hit or miss with BM is because of the over-produced, overly complicated sounding bands that seem to be everywhere. Of course it is all just a personal perference, but I like black metal to have that cold, raw, primal sound. It matches the imagery and lyrics.

For example: japanese crusty punk band G.I.S.M: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyY...feature=related talk about sounding like black metal. and this is in 1983! my view is that in the wonderful decade which is the 80s punk and metal converged so perfectly that both were consistantly feeding on each others influence.
radio_schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #74
Sewe Dae
Nothing of UGs whatsoever

Whilst I really respect the punk ethos and acknowledge that punk and metal have evolved in pretty close proximity over the years, I generally don't enjoy listening to it, for various reasons (I enjoy better production over punk's "dirtyness", and complexity over punk's simplicity... plus I don't like the vocal style -- personal taste). I don't consider myself anti-punk; I don't even consider myself a cut-and-dried metalhead.

Your 21st Century Ant Farm

Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Sewe Dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #75
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatiano
It doesn't matter how simple the piece of music is, you're just making a bullshit guideline for yourself that you'll cross at some point anyway or will pretend to attend to in the future : "Ooh, this is good. Wait, no, what's that, did I just hear a power chord. What utter shite." You're saying that you don't like metal that is power chord based which is utterly facking absurd, you might as well say "I don't like bands that are in e standard, it's too simple".

How about you let me have my own opinion?

I'm not setting a guideline for myself just for some "better reputation" that you think I'm aiming for, I actually feel that way. I said sole-powerchord riffage. I don't stop listening to the music when I hear a couple of powerchords, but when that's all the song consists of it doesn't do much for me, because it gives off this sense of conventionalism and the variation of emotions in the music is nearly zero. Tool and DT use them all the time, but they also vary their riffage using single notes/other chords (even if I do regard DT to fall under that "conventional" (for lack of a better word) category just a bit) therefore varying the emotions in the music.

You have no reason to be as mad as you seem right now. Really. I have a feeling you just read the last few posts and then got all mad because you're assuming I'm categorizing punk in the "all powerchords" category when I'm not. I said earlier that punk is more than that.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #76
dead-fish
Professor Miseria Supremu

Do you think that technical playing is always necessarily better, regardless of what's actually being played?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #77
The Wildchild
YOU ARE BEWITCHED

shut up now (@ newb whiners)

You may ask what right have I
to take human life this way
Well I'm in control, I make the rules
and I don't need your o.k.
Genocide is my way of life,
it's a fact I will not hide
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #78
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead-fish
Do you think that technical playing is always necessarily better, regardless of what's actually being played?

If you're talking to me: No, I also listen to post-rock and stuff like that. I'm not talking down to powerchords, I'm just saying they're not for me.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #79
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

Subtle emotions and atmosphere =/= none at all
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #80
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianyx
Subtle emotions and atmosphere =/= none at all

Because that's totally what I'm saying.