Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
RocknRory
Moosik is good

Strings keep breaking at the bridge

This happened occasionally before, but this week I've had three strings break at the bridge, a new set of strings too. GHS Boomers .011-.050. First the A string broke and I replaced it, then two days later my D string broke and I replaced it, and finally today my B string broke. All of them broke at the bridge. This is on my ESP LTD EC-1000 that I bought used about a year and a half ago. The bridge is kind of beat up in a way so I was thinking about getting a new one but I have no idea what I should do.

Should I order a new bridge and if so how can I tell which size to get? I would hate to order the wrong thing. Honestly I would love a Gibson Les Paul but I can no where near afford one. That might be in the distant future. Anyway is there any other tricks to maybe help my strings from breaking? Before it only happened occasionally but never within a week.

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
RocknRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Is the angle at which the strings run from the tailpiece and meet the bridge pretty severe? That is often a cause of string breakage. If your bridge saddles are beaten and / or worn, you could have sharp edges that are breaking your strings. Have a good guitar technician inspect your tailpiece to bridge alignment and angle, as well as the condition of your bridge saddles. It might turn out to be an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
RocknRory
Moosik is good

Great, thanks for the help. I researched it and the EC-1000 actually comes with a nice quality bridge but its been beaten up and whatnot, the screws are pretty rusty. I bought the guitar for $450 originally but I really don't want to put another $70+ for a new bridge as I've already put very pricey BKPs in it.

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
RocknRory is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: