Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Cmd. Cool
King of the Impossible

Flamenco!

So I was wondering how many people on UG played (or listened to) flamenco? I've been a bit obsessed with this style since I found an old Paco Pena vinyl in my dad's collection about a month ago; putting in four hours a day and I've almost learned my first Farruca! I can't seem to get enough Flamenco.

So gang, who are your favourite artists and tracks? How long have you been playing? Any
tips and advice for a Flamenco noob? Any awesome youtube links to share?

Really just discuss all things flamenco

Cmd. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
thecrusher1234!

I've been really interested in it lately as I've also been trying to learn to play classical finger picking and thought "well might as well try flamenco too"
the only person I've really listened to though is Paco de Lucia, also do you really need to have a classical guitar to play flamenco?

thecrusher1234! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Cmd. Cool
King of the Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrusher1234!
do you really need to have a classical guitar to play flamenco?

Yeah. It's the nylon strings. Not only do they give that "flamenco" sound, they don't destroy your fingers when you strum (strumming in flamenco music is a very aggressive technique).
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
|Long|
String Theory

Plus the reduced tension is easier on your fingers, Economy of Motion is major in Flamenco. Trying to play a flamenco song on a steel string is doable, but it wont sound the same and your fingers will be fatigued and nails dull in no time.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
XianXiuHong
UG's Classical Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrusher1234!
do you really need to have a classical guitar to play flamenco?

You buy a flamenco guitar to play flamenco. You can use a classical guitar and sound decent on it if you want to play flamenco but flamenco guitars are made with slightly lower action and most of the time, a thicker finish on the top for golpe and what not. The lower action gives the harder rasgueados a more percussive effect too which is very important in flamenco.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/XianXiuHong

It's worth it
XianXiuHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Cmd. Cool
King of the Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by XianXiuHong
You buy a flamenco guitar to play flamenco. You can use a classical guitar and sound decent on it if you want to play flamenco but flamenco guitars are made with slightly lower action and most of the time, a thicker finish on the top for golpe and what not. The lower action gives the harder rasgueados a more percussive effect too which is very important in flamenco.

Very true, although you really would want a flamenco guitar with a golpeador; it's a clear plastic scratchplate just for tapping on). You can actually buy adhesive ones, for very little money, if you already have a classical guitar and don't want to shell out £xxx for a new (incredibly similar) guitar. There is something about the sound of a proper flamenco guitar though...
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Bikewer

As I recall, dedicated Flamenco guitars are more lightly built overall, often with cedar tops, and often with traditional friction pegs for the weight savings.
They are, after all, meant to be played in very small ensembles or even solo, and primarily for dancers.
It's only in recent times that the style has gotten any prominence as a solo-guitar instrumental style. Paco De Lucia is a good example of a "modern" Flamenco player.

In his last interview in Guitar Player, Andres Segovia was asked about Flamenco. In typical fashion, he said "I am the only one playing REAL Flamenco...." (somewhat opinionated, Segovia was)
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Tchekitchek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd. Cool
So I was wondering how many people on UG played (or listened to) flamenco? I've been a bit obsessed with this style since I found an old Paco Pena vinyl in my dad's collection about a month ago; putting in four hours a day and I've almost learned my first Farruca! I can't seem to get enough Flamenco.

So gang, who are your favourite artists and tracks? How long have you been playing? Any
tips and advice for a Flamenco noob? Any awesome youtube links to share?

Really just discuss all things flamenco

Yes I do, I am not an expert (it is quite a hard style but very interesting), but I can play some tunes, or play around some styles. The problem is I am more into Jazz right now, and when I go back to Flamenco, I have to re-adjust myself to the style.

My favorite ones are Tarantas because of its middle eastern feel (it's in F# with open high strings), I like Fandango de Huelva, and for a beginner, you can try some Rumba like "Bamboleo", even though Rumba is a bit "cliché"

Favorite tune: I absolutely love Pinonate by Paco de Lucia, as played by Grisha Goryachev (just type "Pinonate Goryachev" on Youtube), it's very impressive.
Grisha is incredible, type "Grisha tries" on Youtube, and you can watch him trying out some guitars playing various Flamenco tunes, I think he is one of the most incredible guitarists on the planet.

Another guitarist I like is Terry Fleming, he is not well known but he makes some very impressive lessons (in French) on Youtube.

Last edited by Tchekitchek : 09-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Tchekitchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
FretboardToAsh
UG's Wise Man Says

Despite me being about a month late, I'm back and working on things again. Link is in my sig.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Daveberriman

Jason McGuire has a great website that has flamenco lessons that'll really take you on that extra step, I highly recommend it! this is the website

http://www.flamenco-lessons.com/
Daveberriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
zackrich

If you're still looking for more artists, listen to rodrigo y gabriella, they don't play traditional flamenco but some of their music has flamenco components and either way they just plain rock.
zackrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
jacks2axe

hey there, yeh i've played flamenco for a while but i was never taught so i've picked up a heap of bad and lazy habits, my advice to anyone wanting to learn flamenco is to study the right hand or strumming hand, practice techniques and you'll be right, the left hand does its usual stuff like, strechy chords hammer ons and pull offs etc. Check out players like Sabicas or Tomatito on youtube, also Carlos Montoya for some hardcore flamenco \m/
jacks2axe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: