Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
T D G Rocker

Ec-1000FR, and what gear?

I was looking into getting a new guitar when i can afford it. The Ec-1000FR is about $900. Is this guitar worth buying? If you have it are there any problems with the guitar? I Have been playing for 4 years, and i definetly need a new guitar for jammin'. I own a bc rich warlock and a fender starcaster from when i 1st played(lol).

The EC-1000FR has:
-EMG Active P.U 60(n)/81(b)
-3-way toggle
-Floyd Rose 1000 Series Locking Tremolo Bridge & Tailpiece
-2 Vol. knobs and 1 Tone Knob
-Mahog. Body
-Rosewood Fingerboard
-Set Neck
-24-3/4" Scale
-24 Jumbo Frets

I was also wondering what gear would go good with this guitar (pedal, amp, etc.)?

I don't have a lot of gear, which is why i'm looking into more:
-Johnson Distortion Pedal
-Standard Amp from starcaster pack(lol)

Last edited by T D G Rocker : 10-05-2010 at 09:13 AM.
T D G Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
cainmd

i have had an ec-1000fr for 2and a half years, never had a problem with it. it's a good guitar
cainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert

Thats a pretty solid guitar. You should be very happy with it. However if you want advise on amps and pedals to suit it you would need to give more information about what sound you are hoping to achieve.
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

They're good guitars, but you can find them a lot cheaper used. If you don't have a good amp, that's a lot more important than a good guitar, imo. If you're playing with starter pack stuff, even getting a $450 amp/ $450 guitar used can be a drastic upgrade from what you have.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
xkreedx
Heard that yo

Yeah invest in a good amp for sure like offworld is saying. These guitars go pretty cheap used and in great shape.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
T D G Rocker

Uhh, well i am looking for sounds like metallica, three days grace, and breaking benjamin as far as pedals are concerned. I know i need a pedal with reverb on it, but as far as distortion im good on that.
Yes im still on starter pack amp(lol, 4yrs?) and was thinking of looking at an amp first before the guitar.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

What's your budget for the amp?
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
T D G Rocker

Pretty much looking for a good 300-500$ sooner or later, just wantin to know which brand/type would be nice. I would also like some opinions about what type of Reverb pedal i should get. Any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Aturaya
Melodic Death Metal.

If you're willing to go used and you could care less about anything other than reverb, you can go with a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. They go $599 new, if you're willing to stretch that far. They have built in reverb, I believe.
Aturaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
bschmalz81401

I have the EC-1000FR and I love it. I also just picked up a used Vypyr Tube 60 for $300 on Craigslist and I love the Combo, Don't need any pedals either with the Vypyr. I don't anyway.

I have seen the EC-1000FR on my Craigslist for $600.00 after I bought mine of course but if you keep an eye on it you can get one. Few on Ebay for as low as $719 right now.
bschmalz81401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
T D G Rocker

To Autraya, i did a little research and read reviews on the peavey 6505+, and it seems worth the money buying new.

To Bschmalz, I heard EMGs and a tube amp are a better combo than a regular amp. I will look up that tube amp though, thanks.

Alotogether thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by T D G Rocker : 10-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
fc89konkari
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D G Rocker
To Bschmalz, I heard a tube amp works better w/ EMGs. I will also research that tube amp as well.

A tube amp wont really work better w/EMGs, but EMGs will work better with a tube amp.

About the guitar, just like others have said. It has a solid reputation, you wont really find people being disappointed with it. Ive played the EC-1000 (not FR) myself, and really, a nice nice guitar. Build quality is solid, looks are good (even though the binding), parts are good. If you go with a one with EMGs (actives) you probably wont be hearing ANY difference to an ESP Eclipse, as with actives the wood quality wont shine that much as with passives. Not gonna continue the everlasting debate of ESP vs. LTD, so sticking the the EC-1000FR. (next paragraph based on regular EC-1000)

You wont find it in my line for personal preferences of neck-thru (and bolt-on) over set-neck, as set necks wont give you that bright (trebly) and punchy sound whereas a set neck will benefit on the lower frequencies.

Cheers
Jonathan

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
T D G Rocker

Thanks fc89, i heard a lot that people are satisfied with the guitar. I don't care much for the binding on it, but it's an ok accessory to the guitar. I heard the sound wasn't much different from an eclipse. Thanks for the information
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Tip: spend 900$ on an amp, and 500 on a guitar. Not the other way around. The amp is over 80% of your tone.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
fc89konkari
UG Addict

^ that depends on how much you care about your tone. Personal preference. Actually, what I would do is spend 900e on guitar, 500 on amp. BECAUSE, I can get a good sounding bugera for way under 500, especially if going used. Good sounding and good sounding, but enough to my ears, well, actually not but if I had to choose, Id take a good guitar (900e budget) with a joyful playability, rather than a little bit better tone. Afterwoods Id upgrade the amp. Currently I have a bugera 6262 with a 212 with V30s. Guitar is only an LTD M-100 with EMGs, but this week Im gonna have a NGD of an ESP Horizon. After that, Ill save for a mesa or so. (pretty sure about the mesa). Saving for it will take ages though...

Cheers
Jonathan

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
^ that depends on how much you care about your tone. Personal preference. Actually, what I would do is spend 900e on guitar, 500 on amp. BECAUSE, I can get a good sounding bugera for way under 500, especially if going used. Good sounding and good sounding, but enough to my ears, well, actually not but if I had to choose, Id take a good guitar (900e budget) with a joyful playability, rather than a little bit better tone. Afterwoods Id upgrade the amp. Currently I have a bugera 6262 with a 212 with V30s. Guitar is only an LTD M-100 with EMGs, but this week Im gonna have a NGD of an ESP Horizon. After that, Ill save for a mesa or so. (pretty sure about the mesa). Saving for it will take ages though...

Cheers
Jonathan

+1

he can get the guitar cheaper anyway meaning he has the cash for the 6505 combo which will be perfect to keep him occupied until he needs upgrading to a more expensive head + cab or combo
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
T D G Rocker

I personally care about personal preference atm.i do want a guitar with more joyful playability than the 3 i have now. I do want a peavey 6505+ as it looks like a trustful amplifier, and is definetly than my starter SP-10 amp lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
bschmalz81401

Not to hound on the Vypyr but it has a 6505 green and red that sounds awesome to me + 11 others green and red so kinda 22 others, thats where you get versatility if you ask me. If you are not going to gig the 60 is crazy loud and if you are the 120 combo or 120 head should be plenty I would think but I don't know for sure.

That is a pretty good video showing off what it can do but you would really need hours to show it all. It even shows how the Tube sounds vs the 75 solid state at the beginning.

Mine didn't come with the pedal so that is next on my list, there is a vid from that same guy on the right for the Pedal if you want to see what it adds.
bschmalz81401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
T D G Rocker

That sounds like a real decent amp, lot of options and effects for the amp, and is good on clean and distortion. Thanks bschmalz.

Was thinkin of that instead of a peavey 6505+ tbh!

Last edited by T D G Rocker : 10-07-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Rate This Thread: