Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
camaross427

Pearly gates vs. burstbuckers pickups

So my birthday is coming up soon and i'm thinking about a pickup change for my epiphone korina explorer. i have done some research and narrowed it down to

1. Seymour duncan pearly gates (bridge) and 59 or alnico 2 pro (neck

or

2. Gibson burstbucker 2 (bridge, and burstbucker 1 (neck)

anyway my question is if the burstbuckers are worth the price? because i know i can get a pearly gates and a 59 on ebay for around $100 for the both of them. but burstbuckers will run me over 200...so are they worth the price?

i'm happy with the stock pickups in my explorer...and i know i shouldn't fix what isn't broke..but i figure a pickup change from the stock pickups to some good pickups should make a big difference as far as pickups go..

i'm looking for a more vintage tone...70's rock, zeppelin, zz top, aerosmith, molly hatchet Lots of Lynyrd Skynyrd etc.

anyway i don't know all too much about pickups so i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction before i buy them

thanks

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
camaross427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
wolvenrick
rock n f'in roll

i can tell you about the '59 in the neck.

i like it in my charvel san dimas, more punch than the Seymour duncan jazz in my gibson les paul.

in my les paul standard i had a burstbucker 3 in the bridge and a 1 in the neck if im correct.
i found those to be a bit too weak for my liking so i switched to a dunca Jb in the bridge and the jazz in the neck. after buying my charvel i wish i'd also bought a '59 for the neck of my les paul.

you can always ask the store if you can try it out for like 2 days and then return for the other if you dont like it that much.

good luck!
wolvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i love my burstbuckers. i haven't had nearly as much experiance with the Peary Gates, but burstbuckers are awesome, and have the sweetest sustain but can be a little harsh in the midrange for some applications.

if you are spending the cash, why not '57 classics? i like the classics better, they seem a little bit better balanced than the BB's to me. i have a Gibby that i threw classics in, and love them.

if you want a higher output and wouldn't mind ceramic, my favorite gibson pickup would be the 500t. they come stock in the gibby explorers, and have quite a bit of bite, i don't know what i would use in the neck with that though. maybe a BB would go with it? i dont know, as i was never fond of the the neck pickup in the Explorer.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

500t and C57

or EMG 81 / 60....

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
500t and C57

or EMG 81 / 60....

i liked the BB2 in the bridge better than the PG. it's a bit more focused and less wide open than the PG, but you may feel the exact opposite regarding that.

now the PG neck pup, i would like to have babies with.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
NHECOS
UG Senior Member

I love my 59' on the neck. Works great there.
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
NHECOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
if you want a higher output and wouldn't mind ceramic, my favorite gibson pickup would be the 500t. they come stock in the gibby explorers, and have quite a bit of bite, i don't know what i would use in the neck with that though. maybe a BB would go with it? i dont know, as i was never fond of the the neck pickup in the Explorer.

I like the 500T a lot too but I'd play a JB for classic rock.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
camaross427

Quote:
i love my burstbuckers. i haven't had nearly as much experiance with the Peary Gates, but burstbuckers are awesome, and have the sweetest sustain but can be a little harsh in the midrange for some applications.

if you are spending the cash, why not '57 classics? i like the classics better, they seem a little bit better balanced than the BB's to me. i have a Gibby that i threw classics in, and love them.

i was thinking about 57 classics, but i figured the burstbuckers have a bit higher output and may be better for more hard rock and southern rock type tones where as the 57's are more smooth sounding....but i'm not sure

i don't want anything too high output that's why i'm not going with the 500t, or a jb. I plan on getting a charvel so cal, i have about $2,000 saved up from work so that will buy me a charvel easily, but i want to wait a bit before i get another guitar. i'd rather for the time being put a bit of money into my explorer.
anyway my plan is to have the explorer as a more hard rock vintage tone guitar, and the charvel as my 80's metal fast highout put guitar

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
camaross427

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

i liked the BB2 in the bridge better than the PG. it's a bit more focused and less wide open than the PG, but you may feel the exact opposite regarding that.

now the PG neck pup, i would like to have babies with.

so the pg's that good in the neck? hmm, maybe a burstbucker and pg combo may work for me then..i'll have to look into that

Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i liked the pg in the neck of a mahogany body guitar. ymmv but check it out.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
afatguy88888888

I have Burstbucker Pros in my guitar and love them
afatguy88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross427
i was thinking about 57 classics, but i figured the burstbuckers have a bit higher output and may be better for more hard rock and southern rock type tones where as the 57's are more smooth sounding....but i'm not sure

i don't want anything too high output that's why i'm not going with the 500t, or a jb. I plan on getting a charvel so cal, i have about $2,000 saved up from work so that will buy me a charvel easily, but i want to wait a bit before i get another guitar. i'd rather for the time being put a bit of money into my explorer.
anyway my plan is to have the explorer as a more hard rock vintage tone guitar, and the charvel as my 80's metal fast highout put guitar

i can't find the site i was looking for, but i once found a page with a lot of artists who either used 57 classics now, or had the pickups based on the '57 classics (before '57's were released under the name 57' classics), and there were all kinds of artists, southern rock to classic rock, that you would have thought they would have wanted more output. the work great for me, they have a little less out put, but seem creamier on the leads (i really am not good at descriping tone) and a little more tamer upper mids than the burstbuckers.

the Burstbuckers are great pickups, but I have found that the upper mids can get a little intense sometimes. but the output is a little bit higher.

honestly the only way you will be able to tell what is right is to play them, but i competely understand that it isn't always realistic. i would listen to demos, but likely the difference on the guitars will be so different it won't have the same characteristics (Gibson LP custom v. the faded model that has them (idr which one) v. traditional or standard).

or maybe you will find them both in youtube clips on the same guitar. i dont know, but that is the best way to do it.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
camaross427

Quote:
i can't find the site i was looking for, but i once found a page with a lot of artists who either used 57 classics now, or had the pickups based on the '57 classics (before '57's were released under the name 57' classics), and there were all kinds of artists, southern rock to classic rock, that you would have thought they would have wanted more output. the work great for me, they have a little less out put, but seem creamier on the leads (i really am not good at descriping tone) and a little more tamer upper mids than the burstbuckers.

the Burstbuckers are great pickups, but I have found that the upper mids can get a little intense sometimes. but the output is a little bit higher.

honestly the only way you will be able to tell what is right is to play them, but i competely understand that it isn't always realistic. i would listen to demos, but likely the difference on the guitars will be so different it won't have the same characteristics (Gibson LP custom v. the faded model that has them (idr which one) v. traditional or standard).

or maybe you will find them both in youtube clips on the same guitar. i dont know, but that is the best way to do it.

allright, well thanks a lot for your help!! I'll have to look at the price and demo's for 57s

My original inspiration behind this was to make my guitar as close to the allen collins signature explorer ( lynyrd skynyrd guitarist) as possible, i'm going to get the gibson maestro trem, and obviously change the pickups.

So i guess i gotta go listen to a lot of youtube demo's

i would love to try them all out, but like you said it just isn't realistic.

Also another question if you don't mind... is changing the nut to a brass nut worth it?
I know it can't be a big deal, but i figure if i'm doing all this work to it i may as well do it all at once and change the nut.

Rate This Thread: