Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
BluesSchmoo

Question Fender Mustang II Vs Vox vt40+

Hello to the UG community! This site has always been a great resource of information to me but now I need some serious help. My birthday is coming up and I currently don't have an amp at all. I used to have a cheap little Peavey practice amp, and at one point I actually had a Fender 4x10 blues deville RI. My current guitars are an Ibanez sz320 and a Peavey '79 t-60 (which was owned by the backup guitarist in Journey ) I'm mostly a blues guy, but enjoy playing a variety of music from classic rock to some newer metal. I'm mostly interested in tonal quality but not sure which one of these amps (Vox vt40+ or Fender Mustang II) to go for. Fender's amp has the added benefit of tons of awesome software and USB connectivity and a 12in speaker, but the Vox has some tube warmth (although I'm not so sure it compares to full-tube goodness) and what seems like a more likable batch of amp models. Im not gonna be gigging with these or anything so volume isn't an issue. I'm slightly biased towards fender due to the DeVille, but I'd really like a second opinion on this one seeing as I can't test them out due to my location.
BluesSchmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
kirky boy

also consider the peavy vypyr. There very similar, although the mustang is newer, and I haven't heard it. If your playing a variety then I would go for the vypyr as it has the best tones on average, however if your not so interested in the high gain metal zone sound then get the valvetronix, as its lower gain settings are better.
kirky boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Between the VOX and the Fender, i would go for the Mustang, definitely.
Tried one a few days ago, and loved it.

EDIT: and between the Vypyr and the Mustang, i would only go for the Vypyr if i wanted to play high-gain metal.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 10-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
BluesSchmoo

I've heard a lot of skepticism about the Vypyr's cleans, and since I play primarily blues I think it's mostly out of the question. I am open to other opinions in the $200 price range though, even if it doesn't have the wide range of amp models. I'm also interested in the picking dynamic range of these amps. Does the Mustang handle these as well as the vox seeing as there's no tube at all and it's full SS? Also does that 12in give the fender a more superior bottom end? Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesSchmoo
I am open to other opinions in the $200 price range though, even if it doesn't have the wide range of amp models.

For your style, i think a Laney Cub 8 would be perfect.

Quote:
I'm also interested in the picking dynamic range of these amps. Does the Mustang handle these as well as the vox seeing as there's no tube at all and it's full SS? Also does that 12in give the fender a more superior bottom end?

Personally, i felt the Mustang is clearly superior to the VOX.
The difference between the 10" and 12" speakers isn't very pronounced, IMO, but it's there. The 12" gives a bit more headroom.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
philipk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman

The difference between the 10" and 12" speakers isn't very pronounced, IMO, but it's there. The 12" gives a bit more headroom.

how is the mustang compared to the vox in the high gain area?
philipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
BluesSchmoo

Quote:

This little Laney does indeed look very nice. 8in Celestion and full-tube would give it those clear cleans, but lack of gain/drive would be my downfall I'm afraid.

Quote:

This is good to hear. I've heard some demo's of the Mustang on youtube and whatnot, and to me that thick fender tone sounded pretty good. I haven't seen or heard any demo's of the Vt40+ though, only the Vt30 which sounded decent for all-around, but was missing something I wasn't able to put my finger on. Again, this may be my slight Fender bias but I really like the cleans that the mustang produces. I'm still open for opinions but am swaying toward the mustang (maybe I can get some new tuners with that $50 )
Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipk
how is the mustang compared to the vox in the high gain area?

TBH i did not try the Mustang's high gain for long, but i played a couple of Opeth's songs (Deliverance and April Ethereal), and i liked what i got from it.

Even considering the high gain area, between the VOX and the Mustang i would still go for the Mustang. Though i always liked the VTs, i liked the Mustang too much.
I was really impressed with the amp, i must say Fender nailed it.

EDIT:
Quote:
This little Laney does indeed look very nice. 8in Celestion and full-tube would give it those clear cleans, but lack of gain/drive would be my downfall I'm afraid.

Don't let that put you down from it.
Throw something like a Fulltone OCD in front of it, and you'll get as much gain as you'll ever need (unless you want to play really heavy metal, of course).
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 10-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
BluesSchmoo

Quote:
Don't let that put you down from it.
Throw something like a Fulltone OCD in front of it, and you'll get as much gain as you'll ever need (unless you want to play really heavy metal, of course).

I'll take a look and am still considering the Laney, It would just put me clear over my $200 budget (although it might be worth it) if I had to get an OD/Distortion pedal too. Truly though, a Celestion + true tube definitely sounds like it would be more my style. As for the Mustang, it is sounding more mouth watering by the minute. No good words for the Vox VT40+ yet, and here I was expecting to see a heated argument
Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
I'll take a look and am still considering the Laney, It would just put me clear over my $200 budget (although it might be worth it) if I had to get an OD/Distortion pedal too. Truly though, a Celestion + true tube definitely sounds like it would be more my style. As for the Mustang, it is sounding more mouth watering by the minute. No good words for the Vox VT40+ yet, and here I was expecting to see a heated argument

Well, i spoke from my personal point of view/experience... I'm sure there's plenty of people who'll disagree with me.

And i say it again, the VOX VTs are great, and i always liked them.
But the Mustang surpassed all my expectations (and the VOX VT along the way...), especially for what you're looking for (mostly blues, but with incursions on other genres from classic rock to modern metal).

Still, i stand by what i said earlier: i think the Laney Cub 8 (+ some sort of OD/dist pedal) would be absolutely perfect.
And yes, i also think that going over budget for it would be totally worth it. You can always buy the amp (which fits your budget), and get the pedal later on.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
BluesSchmoo

So now I'm in between a Solid State (Fender Mustang), a Hybrid (Vox VT40+) and a full tube (Laney Cub 8.) I'm still really unsure of what I should get though. Would switching to tube give me as much tone to choose from as the Fender or the Vox, or just sound a bit better? How does the Vox do with picking dynamics? Does the Mustang have a comparable clean/gain to the Blues Deville I owned before? If I had to get an OD/Distortion pedal, which one would thou recommend? Sorry for all the questions, I guess I'm still stuck between amps
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Go with the VT or the Fender. That Laney is all tube, yes, and it might sound awesome but the lack of versatility will bore you unless you know what sound your going for and have the pedals to run to it.

I would say go with the VT, because it gives you a little bit of both worlds.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
themelodicdeathshow
UG Addict

Vox
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
themelodicdeathshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
BluesSchmoo

Now the Vox votes come out About the VT40+, does anyone know what the difference is between the older series and the plus series? Do the Amp models or speaker sound better? I was looking heavily at the vox to try to get a little tube tone, but I'm still not sure if it sounds nicer than the Mustang or not. Thanks for all the help so far BTW, although I'm still stuck between the Fender and the Vox somewhat.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

There is no possible way for you to sneak to a music store and try them out?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
themelodicdeathshow
UG Addict

Quote:
Now the Vox votes come out About the VT40+, does anyone know what the difference is between the older series and the plus series? Do the Amp models or speaker sound better? I was looking heavily at the vox to try to get a little tube tone, but I'm still not sure if it sounds nicer than the Mustang or not. Thanks for all the help so far BTW, although I'm still stuck between the Fender and the Vox somewhat.

Try to play both of them before you buy or just buy both then return the one you dont like. Ive done that before when gc didnt have the guitars i wanted so i bought all 3 of them then played the shit out of them for a couple weeks then returned 2 of them lol gotta love the return policys!
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
themelodicdeathshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
BluesSchmoo

I've been having some car trouble so I'm not quite sure If I can make it up to my nearest guitar center (I live in Auburn Ca, so the nearest would be Roseville.) Not to mention I've heard that both these amps are hard to come by considering their pretty new. I'm not even sure if GC is carrying the VT+ series yet, but if they are could someone let me know? Also any sound clips or videos of the VT+ would be helpful For anyone who's played both the VT and VT+ (30 and 40) are they comparable or does the 40+ have the advantage in tone. I'll see what I can do about sneaking up to GC for the time being.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
BluesSchmoo

Just a little update, I went to the local guitar shop and played on the Mustang II for a half-hour or so. It is truly leaps and bounds better than I thought a solid-state amp could be at this price range, and I'm confident enough just to buy it and not be reminded of the VT40+. The software is a big selling point to me, and those fender cleans (esp. the Twin and the Bassman models) are exceptionally clean and even break up well the harder you pick. the 12 inch lit up the whole building too (which was 2 stories) while on 2-3 volume and did not even get close to being crackly or muddy. I still haven't even seen the software ends of things, the guy who showed me the amp had a broken laptop. I can only trust it will add to the value of this amp. Overall though, best modeling amp I've played through so far (no VT40+ yet, but hey. This blows the living Cr@p out of the Line 6 Spiders and Roland cubes.)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #19
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl

US

Quote:
I've heard a lot of skepticism about the Vypyr's cleans, and since I play primarily blues I think it's mostly out of the question. I am open to other opinions in the $200 price range though, even if it doesn't have the wide range of amp models. I'm also interested in the picking dynamic range of these amps. Does the Mustang handle these as well as the vox seeing as there's no tube at all and it's full SS? Also does that 12in give the fender a more superior bottom end? Thanks for the replies!

I went to the local music store and tried tried the Mustang II, Vypyr 30 and VT 30

If you want good cleans the Mustang is the best of the bunch.

The 65 twin preset is spot on. The only way you could get a better 65 twin sound would be the real thing. The other fender clean tones are just as good.

Quote:
Between the VOX and the Fender, i would go for the Mustang, definitely.
Tried one a few days ago, and loved it.

EDIT: and between the Vypyr and the Mustang, i would only go for the Vypyr if i wanted to play high-gain metal.

IMHO a good clean tone is far more important than a high-gain sound... Adding in more gain is way easier than making do with less than stellar cleans

I went with the Mustang and it was the cleans and computer interface complete with software bundle.

I've only had my Mustang a couple of days. I'm still learning how to use the fuse editor and let alone the other software that came with the Mustang.

EDIT: After trying a Vox VT40+ Which has as good if not better cleans than the Fender and even has some really good high gain settings as well.

Quote:
I'm not even sure if GC is carrying the VT+ series yet, but if they are could someone let me know? Also any sound clips or videos of the VT+ would be helpful For anyone who's played both the VT and VT+ (30 and 40) are they comparable or does the 40+ have the advantage in tone. I'll see what I can do about sneaking up to GC for the time being.

Yes the high gain setting on the VT40+ are far and away better than the VT30

I Flipped the Mustang when I discovered it's biggest pro is also it's biggest con.

You can do really awesome things when you hook a Mustang amp to a computer it's also pretty much tethered to the laptop to get it to do much of anything.

The love affair with the Mustang and isn't it cool what I can do when I hook it up to the computer. Wears off really fast when you realize the only way to get to those cool things is when you're hooked to the computer....
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier

Last edited by Willowthewitch : 05-28-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Willowthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Trobe78

I would definately go for the vt40+ i tried it today and loved it. It has so many different sounds and tones all from one amp! and you can save the sound settings u like to the amp.
Trobe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: