Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #41
Flying Couch
∀ Gundam?!
 
Flying Couch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Eric Clapton used a hybrid Music Man HD130 in the mid-'70s. It's a bit of a departure from most hybrids - the preamp was SS, the power was tube.
Flying Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #42
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Couch
Eric Clapton used a hybrid Music Man HD130 in the mid-'70s. It's a bit of a departure from most hybrids - the preamp was SS, the power was tube.


a number of other people also used hybrid music man amps, like Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Johnny Winter, and Jeff Beck.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #43
nutinpwnsgibson
Registered User
 
nutinpwnsgibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bethesda; the birthplace of djent
im pretty sure michael romeo from symphony x uses pod's
__________________
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
nutinpwnsgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #44
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
a number of other people also used hybrid music man amps, like Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Johnny Winter, and Jeff Beck.

so did riffhog!

hey, he's infamous here, add his ass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #45
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Should the AxeFX and Pods actually be considered an amp for inclusion on this list? It's a preamp of sorts so I guess technically speaking they do amplify the signal - but then so does a tubescreamer. They're effects units really, not amps.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #46
Unskathed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cadillac, MI
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus switched to Engl Invaders. However, he did use the Ampeg VH for most of his career.

Also, I think the Axe FX and POD should only count if that's the only thing the artist uses. For example, Periphery and Cynic both run ONLY the Axe Fx live now. They run it direct out to the PA.

Also, this might need to be backed up, but After The Burial is using Axe FX in the studio now.
__________________
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs


Last edited by Unskathed : 10-13-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Unskathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #47
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Should the AxeFX and Pods actually be considered an amp for inclusion on this list? It's a preamp of sorts so I guess technically speaking they do amplify the signal - but then so does a tubescreamer. They're effects units really, not amps.

Good points. Not sure how to handle that.

I'll filter through the other posts tomorrow. Too tired now



Also, for those that don't know - I didn't just create this list on my own. It is mk III for a reason. This list has been out a while here on UG it just happens to now be in a thread that I can control/edit.

__________________

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 10-13-2010 at 10:04 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #48
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unskathed
Also, I think the Axe FX and POD should only count if that's the only thing the artist uses. For example, Periphery and Cynic both run ONLY the Axe Fx live now. They run it direct out to the PA.

So does that make a bass player's DI box his amp? Guys that run an effects unit straight into the PA could be argued to be playing ampless. If I mike up my acoustic does that make the mic my amp?
Not knocking AxeFX or Pods mind you, they just aren't actually an amp are they?
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #49
Unskathed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cadillac, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
So does that make a bass player's DI box his amp? Guys that run an effects unit straight into the PA could be argued to be playing ampless. If I mike up my acoustic does that make the mic my amp?
Not knocking AxeFX or Pods mind you, they just aren't actually an amp are they?

I guess I see where you're coming from now.
__________________
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Unskathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #50
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
 
AxSilentxLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
tl;dr

but Billy Gibbons recorded with a Marshall Lead 12 head once. Love mine
__________________
Gear list here.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #51
STABxYOU
Keeps Punk Rock Elite
 
STABxYOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
So does that make a bass player's DI box his amp? Guys that run an effects unit straight into the PA could be argued to be playing ampless. If I mike up my acoustic does that make the mic my amp?
Not knocking AxeFX or Pods mind you, they just aren't actually an amp are they?


Personally I'd divide the list, separating users of digital modellers from analog solid state users.
__________________
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
STABxYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #52
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist
 
Holy Katana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Andy Gill of Gang of Four used a Carlsbro Stingray back in the late '70s and '80s. I doubt he's still using solid-state now, though.

He could be, however, since he intentionally used solid-states to get a colder, more jagged sound on their old stuff.
__________________


Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud


PSN: rhizomaticnomad
Steam: HolyKatana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
[...] well-contoured females [...]

Last edited by Holy Katana : 10-13-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #53
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by STABxYOU
Personally I'd divide the list, separating users of digital modellers from analog solid state users.

Good thinking McGoo.



And maybe break the modeller into amps like the Vetta and ampless modellers like the AxeFX.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 10-13-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #54
WhineX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denmark
Not sure if it's considered a hybrid or not but I read somewhere that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used JCM900's at one point.
WhineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #55
DOHC
VTEC just kicked in yo
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
The last video i saw of Five Finger Death Punch i saw Diamond heads in the background so i think they're still using tubes
__________________
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #56
GS LEAD 5
Registered User
 
GS LEAD 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calcutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhineX
Not sure if it's considered a hybrid or not but I read somewhere that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used JCM900's at one point.


AFAIK the JCM900 is all tube.
__________________
Gear:
ESP/LTD H338
Digitech RP500
Peavey KB4



DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #57
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.
 
beckyjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: N. Wales, UK
Wow, real long list, awesome thread though. Might settle a little snobbery around here.

Alot of JCs and VH140's/copies.

Not suprising.

^Some whingey geeks say that because it has diodes to drive the dirty channel its hybrid. That just boils down to opinion though.
__________________
#31 of the EHX Guild
Laneyless Founder of the Laney Cult
#1 of the Orange TH30 Clique


Last edited by beckyjc : 10-13-2010 at 06:30 AM.
beckyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #58
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
AFAIK the JCM900 is all tube.

The JCM900 4100 is a tube amp with a great mess of opamps (15 altogether, 6 before V1) complete with clipping diodes (9 of them) with no way to bypass it all. It's as much a hybrid as a Valvestate but from the other end of the scale. Whereas a Valvestate is a SS amp with a single tube (two triodes), the JCM900 is a valve amp with 15 opamps and 9 diodes. People don't like to call their JCM900s hybrids but they are every bit as much a hybrid as a Valvestate, more so really.
Valvestate 8080 preamp
JCM900 4100 preamp

Most people stick their heads in the sand and call them valve amps so I don't object if they are left out of the list.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #59
CECamps
Schematic Junkie
 
CECamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I would absolutely consider the JCM900 a hybrid. It only has one single tube gain stage in the entire preamp. The signal is predominantly manipulated by opamps--in fact, opamps are the very first amplifying devices that the signal sees when it enters the amp. Really, it may as well not have a tube in the preamp at all.
__________________
Associations:
CEC Amplification
ASG Amps

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #60
GS LEAD 5
Registered User
 
GS LEAD 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calcutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The JCM900 4100 is a tube amp with a great mess of opamps (15 altogether, 6 before V1) complete with clipping diodes (9 of them) with no way to bypass it all. It's as much a hybrid as a Valvestate but from the other end of the scale. Whereas a Valvestate is a SS amp with a single tube (two triodes), the JCM900 is a valve amp with 15 opamps and 9 diodes. People don't like to call their JCM900s hybrids but they are every bit as much a hybrid as a Valvestate, more so really.
Valvestate 8080 preamp
JCM900 4100 preamp

Most people stick their heads in the sand and call them valve amps so I don't object if they are left out of the list.


0.0
That diagram totally looks like something out of my physics book.....
So its a hybrid? (raises eyebrows)
And its still costs an arm and a leg.....lovely.
__________________
Gear:
ESP/LTD H338
Digitech RP500
Peavey KB4



DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.