Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Metal

Co-thought..up with VampireGoldfish. This is a thread to talk about some overlooked material.

This is to acknowledge and discuss material that is relevant to metal now. Interesting bands, bands that don't break molds but are talented in their own rights. Please keep it to overlooked material and not Trivium or popular bands that everybody knows.

I personally see this as a way for some of the regulars to look at bands they've missed and find something they can sink their teeth into, if even for a moment. I want to reference it when I forget bands that are important. I want banging heads, bloody ears, satisfied bodies, soul gutting...anything so long as it's worth the time.

I'll be making a few posts today, but let's not make this into a thing where we just post youtube videos. Be descriptive (even if you're shit, I sure am!) and give some reason for people to listen. Short description, long description, however long you feel like making it. Then talk about metal with other people and discuss, and so on.

Here's an example of what I want to see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGoldfish
I would, for instance, at this very moment make a post in said thread about how Toteslaut by Nstrond has a similar avalanching storm feeling that Pure Holocaust utilized so well but our storm is less glacially grim and more fanatic zealotry to blood codes and profane magicks. That Pure Holocaust comparison is only one ingredient to be found in this bold, yet delightfully straightforward concoction. Lord of the Woods has a narrative similar to the early (best) work of Aeternus, with the warfare drums and escalations.

Did I mention how fantastically unique this all sounds, despite never straying from being "just" Metal? An overlooked gem that deserves more examination.

Like for instance, what is that MAGIC going on throughout Akhkharu? What ever they did to that guitar I have no clue, but I keep coming back to it over and over throughout the years.

Sounds like blood falling heavily from a vitriolic mouth.

I'll probably make some more posts about recent bands that don't deserve their own threads right now due to lack of material. Any time period fellas, have at it. Although I personally want to hear some stuff from the past couple years.
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Evil Heavy and Thrash

This is what I've been spinning.

I love me some old school EvIL Heavy Metal and Thrash. Nowadays everyone thinks they are too cool to play proper, old school Heavy Metal. Well I was raised on Steely Dan, so I am here to bring you the true torch that lit my adolescence down dank, deep crypts.

I enjoy myself a wide variety of sounds, but this is one that I felt at home with since an early age. So let's start exploring.

Stormwitch - Walpurigis Night

Heavy Metal by torchlight.

Lead boot pacing and catchy as hell hymns to Satan! There is a whole lot of class to this evil, something I find hard to do right. You may be desensitized to it as young BrOOTAL Member of Generation BLastBEat, but this type of songwriting is timeless. You'll never get lost since everything is perfectly concentrated and you'll be having fun the entire way through. So what makes it Evil?

The seductively dark riffing, praising dark idols at midnight and worshiping carnality. Heavy Metal by torchlight.

Oz - Fire in the Brain

Now I am sincerely hoping you see this and think to yourself "God VG shut up about that album already," because I cannot stop talking about this album. Ever. It is just one of those records who I think about and immediately I am ready for a good time and tapping my foot. For the rest of my life, ever since I heard this album all those years ago, it will never stop being funny to shout "FIRE IN THE BRAIN, TAKE ONE" at inappropriate times. So what makes it good and evil?

Incredible production and mix, for one. Listen to that drum kit! A thing of beauty. I wish slappy sounding drums would go to hell and die, I want more of this. Super open mix that gives instruments some breathing room, but rather than use this for complexity they hammer out straightforward and bad ass rhythms. All the while you escape from prison, celebrate your megalomaniac ways and gamble your riches away in games of death and on big titty devil women. Timeless riffs and melodies you will hum for days.

Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy

The perfect companion to Show No Mercy. Ever find yourself wishing Slayer were still cool? Then listen to this album. Fukk! This is as Evil as classic Thrash gets. A king of kings on this throne of thrones. The pure speed, venom and all out ATTACK power of this album is ridiculous. A highly underrated classic. An anthology of death!
Im not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Born Headless

Christicide fits the bill methinks. Pummeling French black metal that stands out from their contemporaries i.e. not part of the LLN scene or a quirky, Peste Noire wannabe. Anyways, definitely an overlooked group that I rarely see mentioned on these boards. They have it all. Riffs, atmosphere, composition, production... What's not to like? Be sure to check out "Foreword to Obscurity" and "The Sun of the Accuser".

I love it because despite its melodic nature nature it doesn't sacrifice aggression. Again, the first word that comes to mind when I think of Christicide is pummeling. They also create dense atmospheres without giving up RIFFS. They're an all around balanced band that avoids most of the pitfalls associated with the genre.
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I don't have much to say about Oz and Infernal Majesty outside of having already said my pieces somewhere on this forum. Turn the Cross is a classic and you're a shitlord if you like heavy metal and don't listen to Oz's Fire in the Brain.

but Stormwitch are a new listen. The songs no longer play for me though so looks like I have to track down a download! No problemo.

Christicide I've always found to have an incredibly thick sound which only serves their music well. Quite frankly their production is my favourite part about them. Not intensely sucked in by the riffs, but the guitar tone is nicely suited to aggression. Can be a little stale from time to time but I personally really enjoy their music.

I know people really enjoyed the s/t when it first came out. At the time they definitely weren't overlooked.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
LauraMarx
nechayevan supervillain

I would like to submit Parabellum, who I think are criminally underlooked considering their wide-reaching influence (reportedly one of Euronymous' favourites, etc). They were first wave black metal from Colombia in the 80s, poor kids from a war-torn city called Medellin. One RYM commenter said they seem to be "influenced by nothing beyond pure aggression, hate and oppression." The first time I heard Madre Muerte from their 2-song album Sacrilego, my mouth was open for the whole 7 minutes. 'How do you get a guitar to do that?' I thought. I still don't know.

They, or at least some of the members, later went on to form a grindcore band called Herpes (yeah), and their first EP, named after their city, is powerful both in terms of riffage and subject matter.

In terms of more recent stuff, a current favourite of mine is Cirrhus. A little hard to describe - their only significant tag on last.fm is 'angular', whatever that means. They're a straight-up black metal band from Oregon, with some huge, gut-wrenching guitar work and a punk/hardcore-sounding rhythm section. Their songs move seamlessly between crushing, pitch-black riffage to huge, melodic chords in a way that I really haven't heard anywhere else.

And finally, since I cannot pass up the oppertunity to mention this personal favourite of mine - even if maybe its a stretch to really call her work metal - it's TRON MAXIMUM. Her bandcamp description sums it up best: "Transcendental Gender Metal. Blackened Digital Hardcore. Psychedelic Post-Humanist Genderwave. Industrial Queercore. Black Metal From A Black Person." She's a mysterious figure for sure, and while the acknlowedged Hunter-Hendrix influence might put off some initially (including me), it's some of the most crushing and powerful stuff I've heard in a long time. When I first listened to 'Berserker Generator', the only way I could describe it was 'polyrhythmic noise'. She puts it a little better, perhaps: 'the soundtrack to a riot'

LauraMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Iceland Playing the Part of Satan's Cunt

In case you have ignored my few posts, hints and tips pertaining to the afterbirth of blood and vitriol from Iceland as of very recent, here is your chance to dive right in to the good stuff and be spoon fed. Seemingly from out of the blue Iceland has been a hotbed of miasmic activity with their damp soil giving way to a few noteworthy projects that can satisfy the ears and could lead to future greatness. Let us begin.

Nara
Eitur

Careening out of control right out of the gates with a drummer who is trying his best to keep everything from falling apart at the seams. Punchy leads jump out of the mix and strain the music to its breaking point. Vocalist is lost in the chaos. Two tracks here. Neither waste time before showing you exactly what they are made of. Shades of Dodsengel's "Visionary" to be found at times here, where "bouncy" riffs lose no darkness despite their far from atonal approach. Drummer sweating intensifies. The aural assault does not cease during momentum breaks, as the strain and stress is kept at maximum even during build ups. Lotta trem picking here which can bother some (myself included) but I never leered at my stereo as I have been known to do when such riffing takes place. Feels appropriate and measured here. Wonderful live sound to the rhythm and drums here. The monster of a track, "Fali," has a colossal climax. Culminates into a woozy, atmospheric free-fall. 13 minutes can be a huge waste of time, but every moment is squeezed of it's precious bodily fluids. Do you like hi-hats? Varg did. These guys do. Warm bass throughout.

Room for maturation? Sure. Admirable listen? Yes!
__________________________________________________ ______________

Misyrming
Sngvar elds og reiu

Thicker, meatier and more viscous. Same sort of tension building with long expanses of time passing before release. Tantric as fukk. Very commanding presence, perched on a cliff side shouting at the burning/bleeding void sort of sound. Things are more controlled here in terms of musicianship and the transitional riffs are very seamless and evocative. Subtle additions from one measure to the next lead into new territories with relative ease. This one is a full length, so you're in for the long run. More dissonance here but it never reaches that goofy DSO sound if you ask me. Feels way more thrashing. Huge, multi-layered sound with comfortable sways in momentum. Demands to be on a stereo, not on YouTube. A Metal accolyte will find a variety of sounds here despite the deceivingly same-y sound other less initated listeners may make accusations of.

Nothing you have not heard before? Maybe. Strong as fuck? Yes!
__________________________________________________ ______________

Mannveira
Von Er Eitur

Looking for something more inclined to creeping amidst a roiling Icelandic fog? Less smashing, more gravechills. Wonderfully seductive. Alluring riffs lead to wretched riffs you might find on a late 90's BM album that managed to not suck. Less bludgeoning here, more siren song from decrepit tombs. Not everyone is into that type of riff, but I find when it is done right it is mighty evocative. Give in to the fumes and relegate yourself to the wisdom of damp cemetery soil.
__________________________________________________ ____________

BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Potentiam
Blsn

Listen to this, which some may classify as Iceland's greatest hidden gem, and tell me how hard it is to disagree with such a sentiment. I will leave it at that.

A must listen? Yes. Will you listen? Probably not.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 08-07-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMarx
I would like to submit Parabellum

In the 80's, this was something you only heard about if you had also somehow heard about Slayer Magazine/Uniforce/Ibex/(insert zine here) etc and then managed to actually start getting them mailed to you or a friend. One of the reasons you always brought 1 or 2 blank cassettes to shows, you never know what's going to be available to rip and you can finally hear what you have only heard or read about.

Nostalgia.

Quote:
In terms of more recent stuff, a current favourite of mine is Cirrhus.

I'll be coming back to this. The rhythm and variety of emotions were fun, but I never felt hooked. Worth revisiting, though.

Quote:
Her bandcamp description sums it up best: "Transcendental Gender Metal. Blackened Digital Hardcore. Psychedelic Post-Humanist Genderwave. Industrial Queercore. Black Metal From A Black Person."

Yeah not Metal and not my cup of piss to boot. He/She/It should get off her high horse and call it for what it is and ditch the hyperbolic genre tags.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 08-06-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Don't understand what the rules are but I don't give a ****. ****ing Pissed off right now so I'm just gonna shove obscure assed heavy metal down your throats

Assedium
First thing that comes to mind when seeing the artwork is Cirith Ungol. Upon listening however you won't hear the doom that's present in Cirith Ungol's music. WE DON'T WANT THAT SLOW SHIT HERE and if the caps censor kicks in just imagine that in all caps **** it. Instead you'll be greeted with a more traditional metal approach with a hint of speed metal coming in to assault you full force should you let your guard down. This shit is from like 2008 and it's home to some of the best heavy metal riffing and songwriting to come out in the past 10 years. So criminally under looked it's ridiculous. These guys should be seeing increased exposure and interest like Visigoth. If you like the idea of a mixture of early Omen and early Manowar then you should dig this. Their fist album is worth checking out as well.

Axevyper
More early Omen worship. Both of these bands are actually Italian, but what can I do, it's good music. If you like ZUUL then you should like Axevyper. Not exactly revolutionary but solid. It's good shit is what I'm trying to say my god. Their two albums were released in 2010 and 2012 so relatively recently. The above album is the second album which I think is better. Their lyrics can be kind of gimmicky - being mostly about heavy metal and killing posers but they're pretty entertaining and deliver in the riffs department,

Oblivion Knight
So obscure I can't even find a decent picture of the album cover fukk yea! Older heavy metal band from the USA but the compilation and the closest thing they have to a full-length release shown above was put out in 2009. It's a piece of work that's for ****ing sure. Both the riffs and the vocalist share the characteristic of being all over the place like a paranoid schizophrenic. Worth listening just to hear the sick ass fukking bass lines also. Needless to say these gents know how to start-stop better than any mathcore pussies that's for sure, and somehow it does work here although sounds like it would be a ****ing bitch to play. Can't really describe how it sounds, you'll just have to hear it for yourself.

Sacred Steel - The Bloodshed Summoning
This German power metal band has an extensive discography which I have barely listened to. Most of their past stuff to be honest didn't grab me. But their most recent album released in 2013 The Bloodshed Summoning, a concept album about the Pentecostal version of the bible or some shit I don't ****ing know did. Worth listening for the vocals alone IMO. This album has a lot of thrash influence and the first album that the vocalist decided to ****ing grow a pair. I mean this guy's vocals are gritty and crazy as fukk on this album, unlike all their previous albums. You may not dig the subject matter but although it's about religion it isn't a religious album if you catch my meaning. Not the most imaginative riffing but there are some killer sections sprinkled throughout the album.

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #9
LauraMarx
nechayevan supervillain

Quote:
In the 80's, this was something you only heard about if you had also somehow heard about Slayer Magazine/Uniforce/Ibex/(insert zine here) etc and then managed to actually start getting them mailed to you or a friend. One of the reasons you always brought 1 or 2 blank cassettes to shows, you never know what's going to be available to rip and you can finally hear what you have only heard or read about.

Nostalgia.

Incredible! I guess I take for granted the ease-of-access of youtube and blogspots etc. I can't imagine trying to get ahold of a cassette from Colombia in the 80s!

Quote:
Yeah not Metal and not my cup of piss to boot. He/She/It should get off her high horse and call it for what it is and ditch the hyperbolic genre tags.

Worthless rambling, imo [yawn]

If some other rare 80s/90s extremity is preferred, I'll go ahead with a band called Sil Khannaz: one of the first, if not the first, death metal acts from Malaysia, happening at the height of their big rock wave. It's just some nice, fast, beefy, strong-man's 90s death metal. I remember hating the guitar tone last time I heard it, but it's not that bad on relisten. The play between the guitars and the drums are particularly nice on this song especially in the palm-muted sections, and there's lots of solos if thats your thing (it isn't mine).

Slowing things down a bit back in South America, R'lyeh from Mexico were doing some suffocating, cavernous death metal with Lovecraft themes - in the titles at least, I have no idea what they're saying. Listen out for the riffs, they're in there somewhere in this rumbling, gelatanous, ancestral mix:

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornHeadless
Christicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Not intensely sucked in by the riffs, but the guitar tone is nicely suited to aggression. Can be a little stale from time to time but I personally really enjoy their music.

Rather close to my thoughts on the project. When ever I hear it (which has been less than 10 times, admittedly) I enjoy it but never hit the replay button. One of those releases that is a C+/B- for some and a B+/A- for others. Hard to rag on it regardless.

Quote:
Incredible! I guess I take for granted the ease-of-access of youtube and blogspots etc. I can't imagine trying to get ahold of a cassette from Colombia in the 80s!

I had been there, done that. Was a Slayer Mag guy myself for many years and even in the early 90's when feral South America was un-chic he really kept that torch lit. Few others did as well. Nowadays the obsession with monoculture and globalization has robbed South America of it's unique musical identity. They are all for the most part pretending to be Europe in the early 90's. Damn shame.

Quote:
Worthless rambling, imo [yawn]

Don't take it personally. Tell me why it's worthless and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KytoKENisis
Huge Slab of Heavy

Touching base with this shit throughout the day and will be back with stupid words for our autistic internet pages.
an unenlightened one
Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #11
Born Headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Interesting bands, bands that don't break molds but are talented in their own rights.

Purulence comes to mind:

It's a case of execution over originality but damn it if they don't do it well. It's essentially pure Morbid Angel worship but they aren't near as well known as say Angelcorpse or Sadistic Intent. Oh, there's also hints of early Gorguts in there, especially with the vocals. Makes sense considering Steeve Hurdle was in both bands. But yeah, as their name implies, they have some sick music. Thrashy death metal riffs juxtaposed against some off-kilter, serpentine-paced ones and the occasional solo Trey style (raping the guitar neck). Worth a listen.
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

Probably too well known among this forum to justify inclusion here, but I was thinking about this in the shower, and now I have to spew it somewhere.

Аспид (Aspid) - Кровоизлияние (Extravasation)

"Vicious", the one word I would use to describe this album if I had to be reduced to such a horribly limited description. Deathy tech-thrash executed nearly flawlessly, at least according to my limited experience with this corner of the genre. Guitars exhibit a high level of technicality that compliments the high-speed savagery in a way similar to None So Vile, an unlikely analogue but the best one my feeble mind could come up with at the end of the work week. Drums and bass show equal levels of technical proficiency and tasteful execution. Feels like a band who all happen to be virtuosos, as opposed to the other way around. And the vocals! My god, this guy sounds pissed. Undoubtedly a combination of political angst, angry delivery, and natural unfamiliar pronunciations of the Russian language. He sounds like he is spitting fire, probably not unlike our protagonist on the album cover. Maybe best heard on the song "Towards One Goal." A thin, clear production serves to enhance the sharp sound further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.

Last edited by RiffYourFaceOff : 08-07-2015 at 11:24 PM.
RiffYourFaceOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
LauraMarx
nechayevan supervillain

Quote:
[CENTER]
Potentiam
Blsn

Listen to this, which some may classify as Iceland's greatest hidden gem, and tell me how hard it is to disagree with such a sentiment. I will leave it at that.

A must listen? Yes. Will you listen? Probably not.

Been listening to this a few times. So far I really like it. I've never been really convinced by synths in metal before outside of Funeral Doom. They always felt a little forced or out of place, but they sound really nice here. The whole sound is deep and huge. It just has that atmosphere, and I like it. I'll definitely be listening to them more.

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Absum - Purgatoire

Funeral doom done right. No more masturbating to sixteen hour songs. The fine folks at Crepusculo Negro have created something for all lost souls. They condensed the funeral doom masturbation to a mere 20 minutes/four tracks of utter soul crushing devastation. The swirling abyss of flanged guitars create horror as they slowly transition into each succeeding note, an abyss emerges, an ironic disfigurement of space and time..a lot of nothing, as haunting piano melodies occupy the background air to create a density not unlike a black hole. The feeling of rooms slowly becoming black, a simultaneous expansion and contraction of darkness, your surroundings close in and become eternity. Headphones, night, loud. Absum has you covered. Ask and you shall receive.

show

Rate This Thread: