Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2004, 10:54 PM   #61
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Quote:
Originally posted by masterbasser89
would you want to go see guns nowadays? even though they dont have most of the original members

Izzy left. There is no more GnR.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
Old 11-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #62
Marton

Was Mr. Brownstone a single?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:24 AM   #63
mid46531
UG's Absentee Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by bean-o
Anyone else notice that as soon as they lost Izzy, the band went downhill... Ive heard some of the Chinese Democracy stuff, its not to bad. But it aint the same, to many sound effects and keyboard stuff.

The band started going downhill after they fired Steven, that's when Axl's dominance of the band was apparently cemented. Izzy said in an interview after leaving the band that the songs sounded terrible without Steve, and that he made a big musical difference. I think the full interview is available at heretodaygonetohell.com.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:45 AM   #64
mid46531
UG's Absentee Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by bean-o
is there a song that Izzy Stradlin leads or solos in? or is it always Slash?

The only song i know of with a moment when izzy plays lead and slash plays rhythm is Nightrain, Izzy plays for about 20 seconds to start off the solo, then Slash takes over for the rest of the song Izzy doesnt seem that interested in lead, he is a Keith Richards worshipper. It seems thats why they worked well together in the band, at least at first.

Anyways people keep asking about Slash's setup, here's what I know:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Pauls (mostly sunburst Standards and Standard Plus's, mostly with 50's necks i believe)
Guild Doubleneck
BC Rich Mockingbird (mainly for "You Could Be Mine")
Gibson SG Doubleneck
Travis Bean guitar for slide playing (as on Bad Obsession)

Amplifiers:
He originally used a limited-production Marshall 2555 Jubilee amp, after GNR became superstars Marshall brought the amp back into production in the form of the JCM Slash signature amp, Marshall's first-ever signature amp. He has used that amp exclusively ever since, with Marshall cabinets.

Effects:
Dunlop DCR-1SR Rackmount Wah
Dunlop Heil Talkbox
not much else
Equalizer for lead boost etc

Izzy played a Les Paul standard and other Gibson classic instruments (ES 135 especially), and Duff plays Fender basses through Gallien-Krueger amps
Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #65
Cpt Crunch
UG's breakfast mascot

Why is everyone like "Izzy WAS G'NR"...?
I dont think you guys are giving Gilby Clarke enough credit. come on....

with that being said, Slash, Duff, and Izzy had such a chemistry between them..something you can't replace. They worked incredibly well together and they aren't the same without each other...
I once heard someone talk about how GnR was such a good band because the sum of their parts was greater than they ever could be individually, and I think to an extent, that is true.

I'm looking forward to Chinese Democracy, cause it HAS to be a good album. Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was a decent record, and there were parts I liked more than others.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:12 AM   #66
mid46531
UG's Absentee Owner

^^The thing about the sum of the parts is very true. Izzy Stradlin likely wrote the majority of GNRs music while he was in the band, as well as many lyrics and some entire songs. Overall he was probably a much more competent musican than Slash, although much less of a virtuoso. He has continued to release rock albums since GNR, although he does not seem interested in becoming mainstream. Gilby Clarke, on hte other hand, was a hired musican, and soon after the UYI, a fired musician. If you look on jacket of the Live Era CD, it lists the AFD lineup plus Gilby and then says "additional musicians Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum"
Izzy Rock On!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:55 PM   #67
Marton

Izzy is by far my favorite rhythum guiatrist of all time, but he wasnt more important to GnR than Axl.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 AM   #68
canucksrule

Quote:
Originally posted by vaishredder
The only song with duff singing is Attitude , its so easy is axl and all the other songs are axl , axl is just like 1 of the best singers ever so he has such a big range

Ahem, there is one called "So Fine" that Duff sang. So anyways, has anyone seen their Use Your Illusion DVDs? And if so, why are their backup female singers such hags?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #69
rich_sg
Eating teh Banana of Doom

I have seen Use Your Illusion 2 ( i think) its the one with SCOM and Paridise City. It was a pretty good Dvd. Its up there with hullabaloo and live at slane in my dvd ranking. Axl keeps doing cotsume changes and wears some pretty horrible hot pants which show things.....*shudder* the band is excatic, running alover stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Old 11-11-2004, 01:24 PM   #70
rich_sg

If the time is GMT, how come it is so inaccurate? its 5 45 here for goodness sake

Quote:
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 PM   #71
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Quote:
Originally posted by rich_sg
If the time is GMT, how come it is so inaccurate? its 5 45 here for goodness sake

Don't spam my favorite forum again.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
Old 11-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #72
Cadd99
I like music. Yeah.

I got a question: is Slash really Jewish, I've heard rumors that he is, but I've also heard that his wife denied it.

-Caddy
Old 11-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #73
mid46531
UG's Absentee Owner

^ His mother was black (probably Christian), his father was white (probably Jewish). Musicians are hardly ever very religious though, Slash himself is probably indifferent on this topic
Old 11-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #74
rich_sg

Quote:
Originally posted by mid46531
^ His mother was black (probably Christian), his father was white (probably Jewish). Musicians are hardly ever very religious though, Slash himself is probably indifferent on this topic

If musicians are harldy even religious, what are the guys in christian bands? duh.....

Quote:
Old 11-13-2004, 03:03 AM   #75
EarthAD
WTF Noob?

Am i the only one here who listens to November Rain every single night?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:06 AM   #76
EarthAD
WTF Noob?

oh and who agrees with me that Welcome to the Jungle has the best intro ever
Old 11-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #77
rich_sg

Ive been listenin to November Rain recently, cos of the class outro, and welcome to the jungle does have an amazin into. Possibly the best ever. Does anyone know where to get full tabs for "Out Ta Get Me" ?

Quote:
Old 11-14-2004, 11:58 PM   #78
dyingforwhat
i love drink

Quote:
Originally posted by EarthAD
oh and who agrees with me that Welcome to the Jungle has the best intro ever

Certainly not the best, but pretty good anyways. Guns n' Roses are one of my favourite bands, but to be fair and open-minded, there are alot of better intros.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #79
mid46531
UG's Absentee Owner

there are many better intros than wttj, sweet child and rocket queen are two from the same album i'd consider better. I personally think Rocket Queen is the best song on the album, but im sure there would be much argument over which track is best on such an epic album........
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #80
canucksrule

Quote:
Originally posted by EarthAD
Am i the only one here who listens to November Rain every single night?

I listen to Estranged quite often...

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,1942
That's a full PowerTab for Out Ta Get Me...

Also, I like Paradise City's intro more than Welcome to the Jungle's off Appetite. But even more so...I like the intros to Breakdown and November Rain.

Rate This Thread: