User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Jmoarguitar
Given'r

A question on government

hi yall

Can anyone think of a existing, democratic regime that isn't parliamentary or presidential? I have a paper due tomorrow and either I'm too tired and blatantly missing an obvious choice, or I really don't know of one.

My best so far is Switzerland since it doesn't share the representative view of democracy, although it still has a parliament

halp

shameful Boston Bruins fan
Jmoarguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
bradulator
new sincerity

Somalia
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Jmoarguitar
Given'r

Good call, although I'm not sure it counts since it isn't a developed country. That's my fault for not clarifying

shameful Boston Bruins fan
Jmoarguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
damian_91

North Korea, they're super democratic and they aren't run by a president but by a supreme demigod.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/damian-91

My Gear:

Misha Mansoor Signature Carvin DC 747
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate (x10)
damian_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
Shredwizard445
Registered Substance User

Write a thesis on how the observation of the populace is the extent to which they are governed

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Shredwizard445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

uuuuhhhhh, buuuhhhh, gubbagguuuubbbbaaa.

I fail to see how any non-representative, democratic government would work that wasn't a very, very small community. Having a popular vote decide every little issue of policy would be absurd. I'd love to hear if there actually is a "correct" answer to this, as I'm curious how it would manifest.

I would think something like Ancient Greek democracy, but that's obviously not currently extant.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #7
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

I would say the Zapatista but that's not developed and would probably be 2edgy4urproffesor

Lebanon kind of. It doesn't fit your criteria but they have a unique system.

Switzerland as you said is fairly close.

Also Samoa is a unique blend of faamatai and parliamentary politics. Not a developed country really but not third world either. You can't label it using those terms really so it might fit your criteria. inb4 snipelfritz tells me Samoa doesn't matter again.

Iroquios Confederacy historically had a unique form of "democracy" (not really democracy by modern definitions but in some ways more "free"). Now that's mostly symbolic and they have various fragmented US/Canadian style systems but might still be worth discussing.

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 12-09-2014 at 05:19 AM.
slipknot5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Lebanon's system of gov't is seriously awesome. I mean, for an Arab gov't, anyway.

Also I can't think of a single non-parliamentary gov't in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
you are tumblr feminism personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
poo-tee-tweet, motherfucker
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
uuuuhhhhh, buuuhhhh, gubbagguuuubbbbaaa.

I fail to see how any non-representative, democratic government would work that wasn't a very, very small community. Having a popular vote decide every little issue of policy would be absurd. I'd love to hear if there actually is a "correct" answer to this, as I'm curious how it would manifest.

I would think something like Ancient Greek democracy, but that's obviously not currently extant.

I agree.

I also think nothing will work without a leader anyway.

It's basic logic really. If two people are equal in "role" (ie both in a political party, or member of the same group/business etc.), then it's only logical to state that both meanings have the same value.

Saying one person's ideal is worth more, is bias. Even if this person makes way more sense by account of logic, we agreed for unbias sake that everyone's voice is worth equally, or at least that's the whole ideal in democracy.

If one person stands for something, and another one is against. One should never conform to the other. It creates a situation where one ideal is given up.

A single person (3rd party) making the decisions results in that stuff actually happens/goes through, but the opposing party's ideal will still 'stay alive' in it's full integrity, at least if this person feels it can add something to society or stays with his political agenda.

Also to make sure, a president is not the governing power of the country. Much like a a lot popstars, he's the representative in image only, well mostly anyways.

He's part of 'the power', and even though people can go corrupt, the concept of democracy does not state to give power to one person.

It's not that clean cut off course in actual reality, but it's the best realistic ideal to this day that seems to work out for the best. Off course opinions vary on this, and I do not want to devalue anyone with communistic or other political beliefs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-09-2014 at 06:27 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
I agree.

I also think nothing will work without a leader anyway.

It's basic logic really. If two people are equal in "role" (ie both in a political party, or member of the same group/business etc.), then it's only logical to state that both meanings have the same value.

Saying one person's ideal is worth more, is bias. Even if this person makes way more sense by account of logic, we agreed for unbias sake that everyone's voice is worth equally, or at least that's the whole ideal in democracy.

If one person stands for something, and another one is against. One should never conform to the other. It creates a situation where one ideal is given up.

A single person (3rd party) making the decisions results in that stuff actually happens/goes through, but the opposing party's ideal will still 'stay alive' in it's full integrity, at least if this person feels it can add something to society or stays with his political agenda.

Also to make sure, a president is not the governing power of the country. Much like a a lot popstars, he's the representative in image only, well mostly anyways.

He's part of 'the power', and even though people can go corrupt, the concept of democracy does not state to give power to one person.

It's not that clean cut off course in actual reality, but it's the best realistic ideal to this day that seems to work out for the best. Off course opinions vary on this, and I do not want to devalue anyone with communistic or other political beliefs.

this is all uneducated nonsense. opinionated blather badly expressed as objective rules. tears fall on the spanish revolution

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
19 - 9 - 3

fuckin willis im gonna run that cunt
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
this is all uneducated nonsense. opinionated blather badly expressed as objective rules. tears fall on the spanish revolution

explain

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]
Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:
explain

"i think nothing will work without a leader it is basic logic". this is basic stupidity.

19 - 9 - 3

Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
"i think nothing will work without a leader it is basic logic". this is basic stupidity.

Do you have an example of anything working without leadership?

Leadership happens all the way to the most basic of living beings (queen wasps, wolf pack leader, alpha male in primates.

To me it seems a natural thing, not a human made concept, how is that basic stupidity?

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-09-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:

anarcho-syndacism of Catalonia and Aragon. Worked decently until Soviet involvement combined with both sides on the Spanish Civil War fighting them ruined it. It was, however, not perfect, and they committed atrocities of their own during their formation. Despite this, there are people that view it as a shining example of communism working perfectly which is why thrash is being satirical.

/boring post.
slipknot5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:

Leadership happens all the way to the most basic of living beings (queen wasps, wolf pack leader, alpha male in primates.

To me it seems a natural thing, not a human made concept, how is that basic stupidity?

read a book

19 - 9 - 3

Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
RAB11

Quote:

The internet.
RAB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
anarcho-syndacism of Catalonia and Aragon. Worked decently until Soviet involvement combined with both sides on the Spanish Civil War fighting them ruined it. It was, however, not perfect, and they committed atrocities of their own during their formation. Despite this, there are people that view it as a shining example of communism working perfectly which is why thrash is being satirical.

/boring post.

Is the last I wrote.

It seems that countries who follow the democracy principle with leaders at the top thrive best.

I find it a bit biased to use 1 example of where this communism worked to weigh more heavily than countless countries with democratic systems and clear leadership that you and I are apart of.

I do not know for sure if there wasn't a person or a group at the front to propel this example of where it worked, or that people were just so fed up that this feeling of no hope was collectively big enough to just jump in the deep end and try out something different.

I guess the latter would indicate indeed a no leadership approach, but for how long did it last. Or for how long should it last to be able to say it is realistically the better choice of governing a country.

I do believe in the power of common interest, but it's on the principle everyone 'behaves' or not a single person grows power hungry.

I find that idealistic and not realistic.

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-09-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB11
The internet.

Well the internet is a vague term.

Let's take our forum.

What happens without law (forum rules), lawmakers (owners of UG) and mods (enforcers)?

You think the pit will keep itself in check?

We can't even vote on modship or ownership, so even 'the people' are not needed to run this place, just enforcers and/or leaders.

This concept goes from as big as running a country, to as small as these things.

Quote:
read a book

How it this an argument?

If I read the bible does that mean god is real?

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 12-09-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #19
Baby Joel
#1 Spam Killa

anarchy in the UG!

I am officially the most privileged user on UG
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #20
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:

How it this an argument?

you are arguing about something you know nothing about. there is no argument as you do not have enough knowledge to make a coherent, relevant point.

19 - 9 - 3

Rate This Thread: