Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Equipment to record

I'm looking for some equipment to record my guitar through my Bugera 333xl, onto my laptop.

I will be recording through a mic onto the amp because I have used digital gear like Line 6 PODs and don't really like the sounds that I get. I want to be able to dial in a sound onto my amp and record it straight onto the computer.

I think what I need is an interface/ mixer (USB because I don't have firewire), a microphone (dynamic or condenser?), cables and some software like Cubase, please let me know if there is anything else that I should be looking for.

I have a budget of about 170. I understand that this is not giant and I won't be able to get all top brand equipment, but I am hoping to get the best sound possible.

Please can you suggest and give me information on gear that I will need for this.

I'm not too sure what to look for, but I have seen

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tascam-us-1...interface/31291
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/alesis-multimix-4-usb/18312
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURE-SM57-Br...=item2a0bebc287 Is the SM57 the mic that people suggest for micing an amp?

Also, what would suit me more? a small mixer or an interface?

Thanks, ask if there is anything else you need to know. I wasn't too sure on what to put.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
MaskedMurader23

You would be better off with an interface. Lots of people will recommend the M Audio Fast Track MKII (great interface for the price). Yes, an SM57 will serve you well, and I'm sure Reaper (reaper.fm) will be recommended by many including myself, seeing as most good DAW's cost $400+.
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Check out my Youtube covers! - http://www.youtube.com/user/TomTucciaroneMusic
MaskedMurader23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Ok thanks, I already have Reaper but wasn't sure if it was good enough. I would probably just use that until I can afford a decent program.

I'll also keep an eye out for an SM57 on ebay, whats the difference between the 57/58?

And what is better about an Interface over a Mixer?

Sorry about all the questions
Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
sandyman323

fast track and a 57 is a solid start.

personally i'd take a fast track over either of those interfaces, but they should both get the job done.

you're better off with an interface over a mixer. most mixing these days, especially for home recording, is done in the computer.
EDIT: if nothing else, an interface simplifies it a little bit. the less to worry about when you're starting out the better. they'll both get the job done though if the mixer is designed for that kind of recording.

57 and 58 are the same thing with a different grille (which has a slight effect on frequency response). the 57 is designed for instruments while the 58 is generally for stage vocals.

Last edited by sandyman323 : 11-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
sandyman323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
MaskedMurader23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr-Mtb
Ok thanks, I already have Reaper but wasn't sure if it was good enough. I would probably just use that until I can afford a decent program.

I'll also keep an eye out for an SM57 on ebay, whats the difference between the 57/58?

And what is better about an Interface over a Mixer?

Sorry about all the questions

Reaper is perfectly fine. It doesn't effect the sound quality of your direct recordings. The only difference between Reaper and Cubase (for example) is the vast arsenal of effects in Cubase.

SM58 = vocal mic, SM57 = amp mic (can also be used for vocals, it records mids and mid-lows better than the SM58)

Well the main advantage of having a mixer is being able to record multiple tracks at once. With an interface, you're usually recording only one track at a time (although you could do a mic'd amp, + a guitar direct in).

Hope this answered your questions.

edit: some interfaces are designed for multitrack recordings, but the Fast Track MKII for example, is generally used for one track at a time.

Last edited by MaskedMurader23 : 11-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Ok thanks for the help, I'm going to get the SM57 and I will look into the M audio Fast Track's because they sound good. Thanks for clearing up the mixer thing as well

Also, i'm joining a band which will involve recording orginals. Would the set up of the M Audio Fast Track and the SM57 be suitable for that situation (not vocals though, and I understand the drums would need more mics, how would that be done?)

I know I sound so nooby now

Edit: I know the MKII was suggested, but how much better would the Fast Track Pro be? (what are the differences), and what's this like? (I think it says it includes a version of Pro Tools, but doesn't that cost loads?)

Last edited by Lr-Mtb : 11-19-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Lr-Mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
MaskedMurader23

Well, you can record vocals + bass + guitar no problem through the Fast Track. I haven't really mic'd any drum kits, but they typically have their own set of mics (usually 5-7 mics) and I've only seen them run through a mixer. Obviously you could just record the drum track with an SM57 in front of the drum set, a few inches above the bass drum, but it wouldn't sound very pleasant or professional.

edit: The Fast Track Pro is pretty much the Fast Track with another mic input. Technically you could get a better drum sound through the Pro, with 2 mics (one for bass drum, one overheard) but it still won't sound very professional. The interface/software combo you linked is pretty much the same as the Fast Track + Reaper. That's a watered-down version of Pro Tools (about the same as Reaper really).

Last edited by MaskedMurader23 : 11-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Quote:
Edit: I know the MKII was suggested, but how much better would the Fast Track Pro be? (what are the differences), and what's this like? (I think it says it includes a version of Pro Tools, but doesn't that cost loads?)

Thanks for that.

Whhat about this? ^

And I would just need one of these to connect it all together?

Am I likely to get any lag when recording?

Last edited by Lr-Mtb : 11-19-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Lr-Mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
MaskedMurader23

Quote:
Thanks for that.

Whhat about this? ^

And I would just need one of these to connect it all together?

Am I likely to get any lag when recording?

Yep, that's all you need. You will experience 0 latency because the Fast Track MKII has a headphone port on the interface itself, so you can hear exactly what you're recording, and it also plays the sound from your computer.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Ok thanks again
Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:

Reaper is just as powerful as any of the higher priced DAWs, you just get better plugins, and different workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMurader23
The interface/software combo you linked is pretty much the same as the Fast Track + Reaper. That's a watered-down version of Pro Tools (about the same as Reaper really).

Not really.

That version of Protools is far inferior to Reaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

Last edited by MatrixClaw : 11-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Lr-Mtb
CRU

Thanks, I will stick with Reaper, get the SM57 and look for a M Audio Fast Track
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
ibanezgod1973
Banned

for the sm57 mic i just got one bundled with a boom stand and xlr cable for 105 plus delivery

then look at interfaces peronally for a cheap but good one the m audio fast track with protools m powered
ibanezgod1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: