Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
paul.housley.7

questions about tone

I played a PRS SE that felt really really good in my hands and it got me thinking about things that i have never thought about before. I can't afford that guitar yet but i could save up my money and get it later. Before i start saving i wanted to check myself and see if that's really what i want. I already have an epiphone LP Std that i'm pretty happy with. I'm afraid that i'll save up for the PRS and end up with essentially just an upgraded version of my Epi LP. That's not a terrible thing but it's not an efficient way to spend my money either.

So here are some sounds i'm interested in. I really like the PRS guitars but i'd compromise a little on feel if the difference in sound is good enough (or vice versa)

1. This video is a demonstration of the Fender Marauder Modern Player. I like the first two clean sounds.

Is this purely a Fender thing? It would be great to be able to sound like those first two. "Chimey" and "quacky"?

2. Slash's Guns n' Roses sound. I'm guessing my epiphone ought to be able to get a sound like this if you get the right combination of electronics and i'm guessing the PRS could be set up to do it too.

3. Also like the INXS sound from Kick era (need you tonight, new sensation). And rock-oriented funk in general but i'm not particularly picky about tones. Frusciante and Morello have both done it for me and it's most important that i can just get something snappy and funky that sounds good rather than copying any particular sound.

I am suspecting that the right answer will turn out to be 2 guitars but i didn't want to assume. I had never heard of the marauder until just 2 days ago so it's entirely possible that there's a guitar out there that can do all the things. I am still pretty new to this.

And maybe the answer is to use pedals or modeling guitars or something? Whatever the case, i hope that i've explained my question well enough.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
Roc8995

1. No, there's no magic secret that only Fender has. They tend to make guitars that sound like that, but plenty of other guitars do it too.

2. Depends on which PRS you're talking about, but you should be able to get close to it easily with the Epi and nearly as well (or better!) with most of the SE models.

3. Again, well within the range of most SE models but you'll need to be more specific about the one you played.

The PRS SE Custom 24 should be able to cover all of the above, and is generally considered to be extremely versatile. I don't think it would be redundant at all to have a LP and a C24. The usual PRS setup (C24) bridges the gap well between Gibson and Fender type sounds. It won't be quite as dark and thick as a LP and it won't be quite as twangy as that Marauder but it will do both of those sounds quite well. If you are looking for one single guitar to cover a lot of ground, a C24 style PRS is a very good choice. Obviously you can always accrue more guitars but I wouldn't worry about this one being redundant or not versatile enough.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
strictly-diesel

Ya you have to find out what you're looking for. If you're happy with the epi then what about it makes you want something else if not just for an upgrade in quality?
Im a big fan of PRS both american and SE although I personally wouldnt pay full price for one but which model did you play? A custom 24 SE sounds like a good fit with the versatility you want. They go used pretty cheap at GC all the time.
Also what amp do you have? even an american PRS would sound like crap through a cheap amp so upgrading that instead might be something to think about especially if your already happy with the epi.
With a decent amp I doubt you'd feel the need to have more than a custom 24 SE to cover those tones.
strictly-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
paul.housley.7

Ah thanks guys. I feel a little bit better already. I am pretty new to this and if i'm asking a simple question in a complicated way then i apologize for that. I do tend to complicate simple matters sometimes.

I started playing last april or may and i'm a casual player. I don't need pro-level equipment but i don't want crap either. I also don't want to be the guy with 10 guitars - or even 4 guitars, but i'm pretty sure that i can find room for 2 guitars if they're the right 2.
I started out with a borrowed mia lonestar strat and an orange 20 watt practice amp. I hear it's nice equipment to start out with but at that stage i could barely pluck single notes much less appreciate the finer nuances of neck shape and pickup sound. In september i bought the epiphone les paul std, I bought it used. I went to the store to look at squier strats but i remembered hearing so many people say "find one that feels right" and that was the epiphone. The epiphone feels good to me and i'm glad i bought it but it does seem a little "muddy" to me. I bought it based on how it felt but i didn't pay any attention to the sound.

I subsequently returned the orange amp and the strat to their owner. Since then i have played through the simulated amps in rocksmith for a while, and then i bought myself a Vox amplug. (Ac30)
The amp situation is going to need to be addressed but i figured i might as well ask about the guitar first. It seems to me that they ought to be all related. For example maybe i'd buy one amp today if i were just looking for something nice to pair with my epi, but maybe a different amp is a better choice to combo with the PRS that i liked? If i'm out to lunch on this you should let me know.

Then i went back to the guitar store and i tried out a bunch of guitars that originally weren't in consideration for me when i was looking for a "starter" guitar. (Price reasons...) I like one of the PRS guitars above all others. I thought i would be able to find it on the guitar center website but it's not there and i can't remember exactly what it was, but it had a tremelo, 2 controls and the "wide-thin" neck. It was priced at about 700 dollars new. I really like the neck a lot and i even kind of like the birds.
But the PRS isn't the guitar that i thought i'd want. I keep trying to make myself like fender strats. I love the way they sound, the weight, size and shape of the body but there's something about the necks that doesn't agree with me. I was directed toward a strat clone from Fernandes that has a flatter radius fretboard but I don't know if i'd like that neck either whereas i already know that a PRS feels good.

If you guys are telling me that i can get stratty sounds from a PRS then i'm gonna be pretty happy about that. If there's a particular PRS model that sounds more strat-like than the others, or a pickup combo i could have installed or a certain amplifier that'll help with the tones i'm hoping to get then that would be great. If there's a strat that has a neck that feels just like a PRS neck i'd be interested in hearing about that too.

Maybe i could also make some modifications to the epiphone and between the 2 guitars get all of the versatility that i'd want. That's the way i'm thinking...
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
timbo63

This is way over simplified, but one of the main things between these different sounds is the single coil (normal strat) vs. humbucker (eg, Les Paul) sound. It's preference thing (well, I like both). But if you go to the store and try out some different guitars, you'll see the similarities among guitars with the same type pickups. A Guns N Roses type sound is usually a lot of distortion through a humbucker. But that quacky sound from a Strat requires the single coil pickups. It's a compromise, but you can get more variety of sounds if you get a guitar with one humbucker and one or two single coil pickups. That one in your video has that configuration and I think it's the most flexible if you're trying to cover more bases with just one guitar.

Some of the Strat sound comes from the floating bridge, which is a bit more subtle - but the strings are vibrating the springs in the tremolo, and that imparts a little character. So if you really love that sound, you might want a Fender/Squire/PRS with just the basic Strat setup and a floating bridge.
timbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
ikey_

ok. huge issue here. the guitar is like 10% of the tone. amp is like 50%. effects are the other 40%.

nothing about that PRS is going to make you sounds or not sound like what you want. have the right amp will (or wont).

then its effects. if you want some crazy shoegaze tone, chances are your not getting there without some crazy reverbs / delays.

on to the guitar - most important thing here is the pickups. humbuckers / single coils are going ti be the biggest differences. after that, built type and scale length. a bolt on neck with a 25.5 inch scale is going to be snappier and quackier than a set neck and a 24.75 scale. classic example = strat vs les paul. aside form that, the brand, tonewoods, etc etc is all really small nit picking.

but really, this is a tread about your amp. not your guitar.

if we are going to nit pick onto the guitar - its really hard for me to give advice on such a personal thing. but i would say it sounds like if you dont like fender, perhaps you need a strat clone. try carvin. 700 can get you into one of their bottom end bolt ons....in my opinion i would take the lowest end carvin over just about any fender. so i dont say that in a bad way.

PRS USA guitars can kinda dabble in every genre. it depends on the models and the pickup configuration. the CU22 and CU24 models are the go-to staple models, and are well suited for most everything.

the asian models are solid guitars but of course a watered down version. in my opinion i think they are mighty fine, can pull of most types of music. ONLY if your amp and effects are right!!!

i just dropped some pretty serious cash on a top end carvin. i consider it about feel. and yeah looks. i wanted soemthing to cherish and be proud of, but most of all, it plays / feels like a dream. yeah, it has some tonal improvements over my last guitar, but only ME the PLAYER and OWNER will notice this.

in terms of anybody who will listen, its all my amp and pedals. nomatter what guitar i plug into, i will sound like my amp and pedals. my amp and my "always on pedals" = my tone.

for this reason, i take my choice of overdrive, and reverb very seriously. soemtimes they are on the whole time. my whole signal is being handled by the pedals. doesnt matter what guitar you have...if your pedals such it wrecks that great guitar tone. same with the amp setup.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
paul.housley.7

Seems like a lot of great advice. I hope to address the amp problem as well.

I think that I may have done a poor job of explaining this but I've come across people who've said that "you'll never get a strat tone from a les paul" and vice versa.

If the right amp (or other equipment) would allow me to do a reasonably convincing interpretation of say - "Sultans of Swing" on say This PRS then I'd be happy.

I guess another way to say it - I can't imagine my Epiphone making that kind of a sound. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing? I've been assuming that the only way to get the Epiphone to make a sound more like that is to put single coils in it, and then I wouldn't be able to get the Guns N' Roses sound.

So what about amps then? If we assume that I own the PRS in the hyperlink and my own Epiphone then is there a single amp that can do a reasonable job of fulfilling my needs or do I also need 2 different amps?
2 guitars, 1 amp and no pedals? (<-----preference, and in which case I'd ask "what amp?")
or is it more like:
1 guitar, 2 amps and 2 pedals?
3 guitars, 5 amps and 15 pedals?
16 guitars?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
richardlpalmer

Your Epi will do you well for as long as you want to play it -- meaning it's a fine instrument. Same goes for most anything/everything you'd be interested in playing.

My opinion is to find a guitar that feels good to you -- that's probably more important than anything. I've played a variety of guitars (and own more than one brand still), but the necks of PRS seem to suit me better than other brands. The profile, scale length and feel are just about as good as it gets for me.

I don't enjoy playing a neck that is painted/varnished, so except for a couple of exceptions, I only own satin/oil finished necked guitars. How about you? Even as a casual player you'll want something that feels good and feels inspiring to play.

As for costs, here's my take on it. The SEs are excellent guitars and if the one you played felt good and would inspire you, go for it. Many of them are ideal for a wide variety of sounds. And while they have their own sound, they can also cover a nice range.

You mention some different musicians/tone that you like. As stated above, the guitar is only one part of the equation. Running your Epi (or PRS) through a Fender Bassman, with no pedals is just not going to get you the sound of Slash. But either guitar cranked through a Marshall JCM800 (with massaged internals) and a few pedals could get you really close.

Onto finances. As with pretty much any guitar, the used market is awesome! You can find PRS SEs all day long for a few hundred dollars (I'm assuming you're in the USA). But go to craigslist/thegearpage/ultimate-guitar and offer a trade: Your Epi for a PRS. It'll only cost you some shipping. I did this with an Ibanez -- easy as pie. Then it will cost you nothing. Or you can sell your Epi and buy a PRS. Or you can just find a cheap, used PRS and buy it outright, keeping your Epi.

But yeah, get what's comfortable and inspiring to you. Doesn't really matter what anyone else is playing or what they think of it -- it's all about you. You can get a wide variety of tone out of so many guitars, I wouldn't worry about that.

What you might consider is your amp/pedals and if an investment should be made there. What do you currently have?

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #9
richardlpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
Seems like a lot of great advice. I hope to address the amp problem as well.

I think that I may have done a poor job of explaining this but I've come across people who've said that "you'll never get a strat tone from a les paul" and vice versa.

If the right amp (or other equipment) would allow me to do a reasonably convincing interpretation of say - "Sultans of Swing" on say This PRS then I'd be happy.

I guess another way to say it - I can't imagine my Epiphone making that kind of a sound. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing? I've been assuming that the only way to get the Epiphone to make a sound more like that is to put single coils in it, and then I wouldn't be able to get the Guns N' Roses sound.

So what about amps then? If we assume that I own the PRS in the hyperlink and my own Epiphone then is there a single amp that can do a reasonable job of fulfilling my needs or do I also need 2 different amps?
2 guitars, 1 amp and no pedals? (<-----preference, and in which case I'd ask "what amp?")
or is it more like:
1 guitar, 2 amps and 2 pedals?
3 guitars, 5 amps and 15 pedals?
16 guitars?

Looks like you posted while I was typing my questions.

The PRS will get you much closer to that Strat sound than the Epi, yes. One thing to note, that Custom24 has a push/pull tone control that splits the humbuckers. For all intents and purposes, it makes the humbuckers into single coils. That's one of the reasons the PRS can get such a wide variety of tones. BTW, have you checked out any reviews? Here's an old one (the new Custom24s have a carved top now):

It all depends on the cash you have for the amp. What do you have? And what kind of budget are we talking here? I'd be inclined to suggest a Fender Mustang, VOX ValveTronix or something along those lines (these are modelling amps that cover a wide variety of sounds). They also have onboard effects.

So yeah, what do you have now?

Actually, this might be a better demo video as they review the new version with the carved top:

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native

Last edited by richardlpalmer : 01-23-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
Roc8995

An Epiphone could get close to that sound. Pure nickel strings, neck pickup, back off the volume a bit and a clean Fender amp and you would not be far off. On the other hand, there's no question that a decent strat through the same amp would get closer. The PRS would be in between but does a rather convincing strat sound.

I always have to shrug a bit when I see the "guitar is X percent of your tone" argument. The relationship between a guitar and amp is far too complicated to be described like that, and there's just no basis or need for such a statement. Suffice to say, the amp generally matters more.

All of that said, I think ikey is correct in thinking that you need to address the amp first. You are not going to get any reasonable idea of how a guitar sounds through an amplug. You might as well go to an art gallery with the lights off. You might make out some crude shapes but you're missing the point. Let's sort the amp situation, and then you can decide about a guitar.

There are plenty of amps that can do what you're asking. I think with a PRS and a LP you could cover every major genre with no problem. Modeling amps are the way to go for versatility. The Spider Valve and Vypyr series are great, the Line 6 DT series are excellent, if you like your amplug and just want silent practice you could get a POD or an Axe-FX and continue to use your headphones (provided they're decent).
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #11
paul.housley.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer

So yeah, what do you have now?

Not much, but I thought that this was all a part of the same big question though. Truthfully I don't have anything yet really. Just one of these:

I'm okay with the way this discussion has gone because I'm not stressing as much about guitar construction anymore. I feel like I can freely daydream about that PRS while also trying to figure out what kind of amp I should start saving up for.

On the other hand I'm starting to get a feeling that I need to spend more on an amp than I'd been hoping to spend.
Ehhhhhh......
I might need to make a sacrifice in that case. I definitely preferred that PRS to my Epiphone, so I may eventually need to trade the Epiphone. Regardless of that I'm not sure if tubes are in my future. My wife's opinion is important to me and I know that she's going to have a lower opinion of spending a few hundred dollars on a noisy ugly speaker box than if I were looking to spend the same amount on a pretty new guitar.
She's nice, she just gets tired of hearing me talk about my expensive hobbies.

I had a Peavey Vypyr on my Christmas list but she got me a different gift instead, and that's why I picked up the amplug. I had picked the Vypyr blindly. It seems thatit might have been a good choice?

(oh sweet mother of God I don't think this is in my budget though... )

Last edited by paul.housley.7 : 01-23-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
richardlpalmer

Okay, so I think you're on the right track. Where are you located? Does your country have craigslist? Put your Epi up for trade today/tonight for a PRS SE Custom24. It may take days/weeks for you to find what you're after, but at the end of the day you'll get it.

As for the amp, the above suggestions are excellent. I wouldn't worry about tubes at this point. I'd go for a solid state amp so you can have a variety of amp models and effects. Here are some demos with new/used prices from GuitarCenter (you could find used for less elsewhere).

Fender Mustang II ($199/$99)

Vox ValveTronix VT40+ ($249/$149)

Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 ($199)

So you're really looking at $100 or less for a used amp that will be awesome compared to what you have (BTW, I had a very similar setup to yours for my first guitar -- couldn't afford an amp either ).

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #13
richardlpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
(oh sweet mother of God I don't think this is in my budget though... )

That's a gorgeous piece! Love that swamp ash body.

Here's my #1

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
richardlpalmer

And if you're looking for an even more affordable solution, that would still be an upgrade over what you have, you could get either of these amps on the used market for about $50 or less...

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Old 01-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #15
paul.housley.7

I think I'm getting all straightened out now.

Except one other thing.... what's the word on pedals?
I've honestly never even looked at one. I know that they change the sound and that's about it. I imagine that you probably use your foot. I wasn't planning to explore pedals but you guys know what sounds I'm interested in. If you guys think I need to reconsider that then I'll start learning about pedals too.

Although I must say that I would gladly forgo the extra equipment if it's possible to do without...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #16
dannyalcatraz

When I started off on electric, I used a device similar to but more powerful than your Vox plug, a Korg Px4. There are lots of similar devices:

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BR80/

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...554-i1124641.gc

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. The PX4 is discontinued, but it can still be easily found. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.

However, when I went for an amp. I went for tubes with pedals. In my experience, digital modelers are awesome tools with a lot of strengths. However, each one has a weakness: not all of the models re equally good...and some are terrible. Some don't even sound like what they claim to sound like.

By going with a tube amp, I got a blank slate to work with. By carefully choosing pedals, I ensure that the sounds I want, I get. It IS, however, a more expensive and cumbersome path to travel.

Modeling amps are a LOT less of a hassle. But that convenience comes with the price outlined above.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
timbo63

I can tell you from experience that you'll have a hard time making a humbucker guitar sound like a Strat. I have a Les Paul and several other guitars, but wanted the Strat sound (like your example of Dire Straits). I studied the frequency response and use a graphic EQ to undo the humbucker and try to make it sound like a single coil. I used coil taps on the humbucker to reduce it to a single coil. A friend of mine with a Strat said look, if you want a Strat just get a Strat - why are you wasting all this time?

A tapped humbucker does sound thinner like a Strat, but it won't be confused for a Strat sound. I eventually got a Strat and put the Fender '69 pickups in it and love it (and I kept the Les Paul of course for the Guns N Roses sound). But they're worlds apart. You really need to just experiment in a music store with the different sounds and see what it is you're after. One thing to note on the "Strat sound" - it has 5 pickup positions, one for each pickup plus two positions that combine adjacent pickups. The in-between settings get this complex phase cancellation and quircky frequency response. You really need to have two single coil picksups to get the "in-between" response.

You can probably find some you-tube videos also to check the different sounds out - but unfortunately, a lot of the reviews have pedals turned on or are using different amps and that can make it difficult to hear the differences. But I think it would be good to find a store where you can try a lot of different guitars out so you can figure out what sound you're looking for.
timbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #18
ikey_

http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items/360/amPlugAC30.jpg
WHAT!?!?!?!

oh my god. i didnt know what you were saying man. holy cow we gotta fix this. if that is your only amp, then forget the guitar entirely, put your entire budget into your amp.

i know many people that will play an epiphone just fine! the best gigging guitarist i know, who derives about 50% of his income from gigging, has always used a mexican strat, $250 dollar guitar. but he is an awesome player, and uses good live equipment.

your playing technique will cover a lot of ground. a good player will sound the way he wants or sound better because of his skill, it doesnt matter what gear hes using. the guitar is a tool that just facilitates the process.
_____

but like i said, the amp does it all. the last part of the chain, the most influence on tone. without that, screw the guitar.

i would much rather have a 100 dollar guitar and a 1000 dollar amp than the other way around.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)

Last edited by ikey_ : 01-23-2014 at 09:11 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
paul.housley.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo63
I can tell you from experience that you'll have a hard time making a humbucker guitar sound like a Strat. I have a Les Paul and several other guitars, but wanted the Strat sound (like your example of Dire Straits). I studied the frequency response and use a graphic EQ to undo the humbucker and try to make it sound like a single coil. I used coil taps on the humbucker to reduce it to a single coil. A friend of mine with a Strat said look, if you want a Strat just get a Strat - why are you wasting all this time?

A tapped humbucker does sound thinner like a Strat, but it won't be confused for a Strat sound. I eventually got a Strat and put the Fender '69 pickups in it and love it (and I kept the Les Paul of course for the Guns N Roses sound). But they're worlds apart. You really need to just experiment in a music store with the different sounds and see what it is you're after. One thing to note on the "Strat sound" - it has 5 pickup positions, one for each pickup plus two positions that combine adjacent pickups. The in-between settings get this complex phase cancellation and quircky frequency response. You really need to have two single coil picksups to get the "in-between" response.

You can probably find some you-tube videos also to check the different sounds out - but unfortunately, a lot of the reviews have pedals turned on or are using different amps and that can make it difficult to hear the differences. But I think it would be good to find a store where you can try a lot of different guitars out so you can figure out what sound you're looking for.

This advice is a good example of what made me want to create this thread in the first place. Maybe there are different ways to interpret a sound as being "strat-like"?
I liked a lot of what i was hearing in the PRS video. It's not exactly like a strat but it sounds a lot more strat-like than i would imagine my epiphone could sound.
The only problem i've had with strats is i prefer other necks. If fender strat necks felt as good as a PRS neck then i'd have no question about what guitar to buy.

But i'm learning that i need to pay more attention to the amp right now so that's what i'm going to do instead.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
paul.housley.7

So the local craigslist has a Line6 Spyder 30 watt amp and a Roland Cube 20 watt amp. Each asking 75-80 dollars.

Are either of those the sort of thing I should be looking into? I've heard some people say negative things about Line6 products but it's never easy to tell if it's just an opinionated person being overly opinionated. As for Roland - it wasn't mentioned here but I remember once having a conversation about a Strat with a Roland pickup and it was supposedly a modeling guitar.

My first impression based on the suggestions that were made is that I might like to get another Vox product but it's more practical to start with what's available on Craigslist isn't it?

And if nobody minds me taking the questions one step further - I don't know if I was doing something wrong with the amp that I had borrowed. It was an Orange Crush
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ORACR35LDX
I guess it's not a modeling amp but I'm not entirely sure what that means yet. Are the modeling amps filled with sound pre-sets?
I fiddled with the Orange a lot before I returned it. I noticed that the Strat sounded good on lots of settings but the Epiphone only sounded good if you got a decent combination of knob settings. Of course at that time I didn't have any clue about tone or gain or any of that, so it was literally sound roulette.

Rate This Thread: