Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #41
Judas89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asomodai
I laugh at the people who say "Itís from china, it must be crap". Itís likely many have never played recent Chinese copies and have no basis to form an opinion, so they spout off what someone else said. These fake guitars are built in similar if not same factories by the same if not similar Chinese workers with the same if not similar techniques. Itís possible it could be on par with the legitimate imported instruments.

My final thought, Gibsonís quality has been going through the grinder for a long time, terrible sloppy fit and finish on many of their guitars, who knows maybe the Chinese fakes could turn out to be better guitars eventually? To really combat the counterfeit guitar business, the only real way to do it would be to drop the ludicrous price of some new instruments and up the quality. Western manufacturers whack on ridiculous premiums on instruments and put them out of reach of mere mortals.

I had a friend that bought an evh kramer guitar from someone. We later found out it was fake, but it actually wasn't that bad...

The neck was fast and smooth, the guitar sounded awesome and looked really cool with the white and black stripes. The only thing that sucked was the floating bridge. It was the most pos bridge ive seen!

Also in my opinion Gibson sucks! Their stuff is overated and overpriced. I had another friend that had a gibson sg and he dropped it from his bed and his neck snapped. I dropped my Jackson and Cort guitars and I haven't broke anything yet!
Judas89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Just saw a banner ad here at the top of UG for Tradetang.com...

Does this mean we can't hate them any more???
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #43
whaip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Just saw a banner ad here at the top of UG for Tradetang.com...

Does this mean we can't hate them any more???

That means you got cookies or something on your pc :p

I once was linked to that site, too.
Suddenly, Ad' everywhere *_*
whaip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #44
air1jsj

A friend of mine has a Replica Les Paul from China. I was actually surprised at how nice it is. I mean it is by no means a nice as a Gibson but I would put it up against most Ephiphone Les Paul (I have several of those) in appearance. It stays in tune and sounds nice.

As for the bad: I believe the body is basswood (not mahogany) and the "quilted maple top" is paper thin (probably paper to be honest). The tone controls don't do much controlling (very limited change in tone). The finish scratches kind of easy too but all and all probably worth the $300 he paid for it, maybe?!?!?!?
air1jsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #45
Alucard817

I think people here are confusing replicas for counterfeits.

What tradetang has are counterfeits, what Tokai, Agiles and Burney are, are replicas.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #46
Washburnd Fretz

Tradetang is infamous for the ole bait and switch....

These dealers target idiots who would rather have a fancy name on a headstock...rather than a generic instrument that plays well.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #47
austhrax

my mate bought an ibanez jem for 300 bucks,its obviously a fake but its 1 kick ass guitar,he bought thru seller on ebay
austhrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #48
straycat113

Well the funny thing is more and more magazines and websites point out what the Chinese are not doing correct which only makes them fix it that much faster. When this really started making waves 3 years ago Gibson was the main target, and not being all that sharp on Gibson guitars as I was a die hard Fender player for 30 years who has gotten into EBMM big the last 5 years.

Anyway my friend that owns the guitar store I hang in asked me to keep an eye out for a Frampton Les Paul while I was in the middle of a big GAS attack and roaming Ebay nightly. I came across one in a week that was clean in the price range he was looking for went to the store pulled it off Ebay and it took all of 1 minute for him to tell me it was a fake. Now this was being sold buy a regular US seller who had over 400 good transactions. The odd thing was I posted it on the Fender Forum as we were all talking about it and when I contacted the seller to tell him he was selling a fake he seemed more worried what forums his selling name was on then he supposedly got duped for a good amount of money, in which he said it looked so good he was just going to hang it on his wall. Okay he had the wrong guy as I knew that he knew what he was selling all along by his actions...

About 5months ago I was in the store and we were talking fakes and my friend asked me if I wanted to see one since some kid who knew what he had brought it in for repairs. I am going to be honest the guitar was made pretty well ,had good fret work and a nice Blue Burst quilt finish. Now if the Chinese can turn something out like this for $300 of which they still have to turn a profit what the hell could the build price point be $150?

I am dead against Asian counterfeits as this is not the 70s when they were copying guitars but had a different name on the headstock this is straight up counterfeiting of which many guys have gotten burnt on and will continue to do so. For some reason I have talked to famous company brand execs as high as CEO's who really just seem powerless to do anything. Forget all this nonsense of the law getting involved over a single guitar or two as a trailer or tankers worth is the only thing going to perk there interest.

The biggest offender I find in all of this is PayPal and I cant see how no one else does not see it either. PayPal is there money life line as almost all transactions are done with it, do you think Paypal would get involved with a company selling counterfeit US currence say $20 for every $100, hell no as the Feds would be kicking in there doors and they would be listed as part of the conspiracy. Yet when you analyze it that is exactly what they are=roll that around your heads awhile.
straycat113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #49
juesecafe
Banned

[link removed]
maybe you should visit this link.I found a great deal of classic guitars with reasonable prices in this Chinese shopping website.
I also found the guitar you have mentioned in it.so I don't think that Chinese wholesale site you spoke of in your article has a lot enough nice guitars as this site in my link does.
juesecafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #50
Axelfox

Is this guitar legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Because the price looks suspicious.
Axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #51
Destinyrider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Is this guitar legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Because the price looks suspicious.

yeah it should be fine is it is a bidded item w/ 9 days left so the price will probably jump like its a$$ is catchin by the 21st or 22nd but its seems to be fine the dealer's stuff checks out too. over 3600 items sold and a 99.8% feedback is an overall great seller go ahead and bid if you wish. Its an LTD too so it wouldn't be as much as the ESP model. 200-300$ is the range for those (LTD Alexi-200) i believe that the 600s are 500-700 and the ESPs are expensive as all hell

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Destinyrider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #52
Paultaters

Whats the quality of these fakes?. They have some good looking (visually) guitars.
http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/E...04-2248634.html O:
Paultaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #53
agubics12

Hey you, look at this previous post I just quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburnd Fretz
Tradetang is infamous for the ole bait and switch....

These dealers target idiots who would rather have a fancy name on a headstock...rather than a generic instrument that plays well.

Even if a guitar looks good off tradetang, you probs wont get the copy that you asked for
agubics12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #54
HookedOnHifonic

To the OP....GREAT POST!!!
HookedOnHifonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #55
T-Allen

Yeah sticky this.

I went so far to register because I came here and found what I was looking for right away.

I have been a dedicated Ibanez customer since 1983. I like my old Westones but Ibanez always drags me back.

I was in Korea with the army a few years back and bought a Epiphone Les Paul. Beautiful instrument and it plays very very well. I love it. My friend who owns the music shop said it was a very expensive instrument and he has been there for 35 years. I love it.

Epiphone makes beautiful guitars. Ibanez makes awesome guitars. Someone mentioned there is a difference between lisenced and counterfeit.

This needs a sticky!
T-Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #56
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ It's already stickied

welcome to UG
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #57
T-Allen

Well my bad, thank you for educating me sir =)

And thank you for welcoming me to UG. Long time reader of the main site first time to forums.

Last edited by T-Allen : 06-16-2011 at 10:17 AM.
T-Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #58
ZyggieFromJiU

i would never EVER buy something like that :L
Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #59
MRWHITE35

I didn't even bother reading all the posts, as people like this make me sick, not everybody can afford overpriced Gibsons and ESP, even though I own original ESP's and Gibsons I also own one or two fakes, and have to say for the price they are extremely good value!
MRWHITE35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #60
MRWHITE35

Put it this way the Gibson Les Paul slash AFD FAKE! plays a lot better than my genuine epiphone Les Paul
MRWHITE35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: