Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #81
Guitarnbeyond
Banned

Hey guys I just wanted to tell you guys about the new website that I created specifically for guitarists. There is some great stuff including, jam tracks, a forum, tabs and lessons. Also I was thinking about making a page that will allow you to advertise for your band on my front page!Come check it out

http://www.guitarnbeyond.com
Guitarnbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #82
tobinobin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261024020...984.m1423.l2649

Decent price? Any ideas on this one?
tobinobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #83
ESPRZKSpieler
RAMMSTEIN

This really is too true to be good...

An ESP "MII Explorer." They even put the ESP logo that's on the plastic fretboard protector, ON THE FRETBOARD!!!! This is insane!!! Gotta love the research they put into this one...

http://www.ioffer.com/i/new-white-e...uitar-515024815
ESPRZKSpieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #84
ESPRZKSpieler
RAMMSTEIN

How about these? NTB construction, decent graphics and inlays. Wall hanger, maybe. Probably not good for much else.

Ouija White

Ouija Black
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #85
ESPRZKSpieler
RAMMSTEIN

Oh, and who can resist a nice "ESP Edipse" See what they did there? Didn't notice it at first. Funny how a "d" can look kinda like "cl."

http://www.ioffer.com/i/esp-edipse-...uitar-507883832
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #86
Arab_Philosofer

Aww the Chinese sellers , they got some groovy shit. I'd have no problem buying a tremelo ark or pickguars off them. Even a guitar if you get it under 120 or so.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #87
Wmheadbanger

Wat about the pickups on those 'fake' jem and lespauls?what they can copy the pups also?
Wmheadbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #88
semiquaver555

Haha if it's too god then it's probably fake. It's useless to buy a fake guitar since you can't really play with it. I guess fakes can only be used as pretty wall hangers, not really considered an insttrument.
semiquaver555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #89
richardlpalmer

I will say though, that when it comes time to get all Pete Townsend-y and smash up my guitars, I'd rather use a fake than my real ones.

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #90
semiquaver555

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer
I will say though, that when it comes time to get all Pete Townsend-y and smash up my guitars, I'd rather use a fake than my real ones.

LOL true
But still the clean-up would be messy and it will be a lot of work :O
I wouldn't really want to smash up guitars though. It kind of hurts me when I'm mishandling/destroying an instrument. I guess because I wasn't the one who actually made the guitar If you ever want to destroy something, destroy your things.

Still, watching them smashing guitars on youtube would be a lot easier.
semiquaver555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #91
richardlpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver555
LOL true
But still the clean-up would be messy and it will be a lot of work :O
I wouldn't really want to smash up guitars though. It kind of hurts me when I'm mishandling/destroying an instrument. I guess because I wasn't the one who actually made the guitar If you ever want to destroy something, destroy your things.

Still, watching them smashing guitars on youtube would be a lot easier.

I've actually never done it. I think it'd be cool to be that "in the zone" on stage that something like that just came out of me. But picturing my MEQ smashed to bits gives me a queasy feeling...

It'd be like one of those movies when the killer finally snaps out of it, looks down at his hands covered in blood, then looks on the floor at his family that he's slain. Horrifying!

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #92
kindadumb

I'm curious...I know Ali Express stuff is fake, but do you even actually get an instrument? I've heard of scams coming out of China where you buy their product, you never get anything, and then they close up and move on to the next scam.

I'm not into the expensive gear, and I've loved the Chinese-built instruments I've played so far...if you can get a cheap instrument and switch out pickups + electronics, seems like it wouldn't be a bad deal at all. That's assuming, of course, that a customer could talk the vendor into not having "GIBSON" and "MADE IN USA" featured on the headstock.
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #93
dddnn2

I don't buy this .
dddnn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #94
09kitty23
UG Newbie

uh... there is one brand that i know who is proud that is made in China that were built with Korean hardwares and American/Canadian wood.. nuts are Graphtech Black Tusq XL. you guys have to check and see for yourself.

(link removed)

oh and i am the designer and founder of these guitars, i'm a guitarist myself so i know what people needs in a certain level that i can provide without breaking the bank. The only problem we have is that we are a small shop and can only focus on a certain number of guitars (for several months we built only 7 guitars).. our luthiers have been building for decades and happy that a masterluthier even join our team. check us out guys and if there are questions just send a private message on the facebook page..
09kitty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #95
joshthepilot
Avid Shoe Wearer

Well said necrosis1193.
joshthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #96
rocknroll93
UG's very own Convict.

id just like to point out that I know a guy with a a counterfit/copy/ whatever you want to call it, and it still plays and sounds amazing.
still most likely ilegal, but it just proves that you can pay cheap and get decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
rocknroll93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #97
Adub

Not having ever owned a real Gibson or Fender, I could probably be duped into buying a counterfeit, but then, you fall back on if it sounds to good to be true...you can't find a genuine article for $300. But you could find one that sounds half way decent, again, personal tastes rule. Always play before you buy it. That's why I buy most of my gear locally on Craigslist (although you meet some odd folks...)

I personally own a gretsch double jet with a Bigsby replica, made in China in 2009. Bought it used, from a fella who played maybe twice. I love the twang of the pups, the all mahogany construction and set neck give it lots of dark sustain. I wasn't sure if I would like the tone, but it looked sexy, and when I took her for a spin, it was love at first A5...

I just bought, last week, an Ibanez ART 300 locally. It's the black caiman. Sexiest axe I have ever owned (sorry Gretsch!) It was made in China in 2009, which may have been the first year they produced these?? Anyway, it's solid. Set neck, all mahogany except for the scalloped maple top. Again, wasn't sure if I was going to dig the sound, but when I played it, yeah, it's like that...

Once, while on the local paper's website, I saw an ad for tradteng, and seeing those prices, I was like yeah right. So I clicked on over, and the horrible grammar was enough to tell me no way. But I was laughing so hard, I kept checking out the guitars. Then I emailed the paper, and told them they sold ad space to a firm that most likely is hawking counterfeits, and that they should probaly have their legal dept. check into it lest they get sued by someone who reads their ads and buys one of these axes. I got a response back, and basically the paper sells internet ad space like this: the big boys (Honda, Ford, etc.) pay primo bucks for the good space. A small percentage of the ads doesn't sell, so they sell the remaining space on an auction site, and they don't track who buys it. So someone who wanted to buy ad space for sex slaves could, and it would hit the interweb without the paper ever vetting the ads, until the church lady down the street, looking for a good cruller recipie, gets redfaced reading an ad like that (or a guitar dude reading a tradteng ad).

There's a sucker born every minute, so don't be born If you fall in love with a guitar's looks, go play it, bring a bandmate along so they can be the bad cop if you get that glazed look in your eye..
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #98
Ksoism

I wouldn't be so hard on the Chinese. Ofcourse its dumb from them to make fakes with real names, but not too long ago everyone was making strats and teles under their own banners - but with exact shape and a whole lotta less money. Then Fender sued Ibanez and whatnot other companies. No one whines of those japs being crappy copiers? Have played one pre-lawsuit era ibanez tele, and it was actually lovely. Chinese now ain't that far away what japs were in 70's and 80's.
I do not live under the illusion that those would be excellent guitars - but if they are well enough made, they have their place in my mind. Being a tinkerer myself, I do love the idea of pretty under 300usd les Paul, made out of good woods. Pickups can be exchanged, etc.
I'd love to hear if the woodwork is worth the price. If so, then they might be a game for me. I'd really like a sunburst les Paul, but can't justify the price in my situation. But I can make my own mics, or they aren't that expensive to buy if they suck. Bridges, nuts, tuners can all be exchanged. And there is (distant) possibility that all of them don't suck so bad that you would need to get new ones right away.
Here seem to be quite a few stone throwers, but I want to play one before I made my decision. They easily might suck, but you need to treat them as a cheap copy - and what's important there is that how good copies they are? Worth the 300usd tag? I would guess so, if the pics are correct. I say it again, I think they all should be sold under distinctively other name, chibson isn't good enough.
But on the other hand, I don't claim to have the balls to try them out. To me even that's pretty hefty sum ATM.
Ksoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #99
Verzila
Banned

I've seen a guitar or two that I'm tempted to buy. They are copies (Gibson-style, ads claim mahogany) but are unbranded and not claiming to be what they are not.

Much of the advice I've read about Chinese copies of anything (clothes, watches, perfume, accessories, etc) warns that if you think you're getting a genuine brand you are 99% sure to get stung - 'too good to be true' indeed.
On the other hand if you're not hoping to find genuine brand names and are just looking for unbranded goods, you can avoid a lot of the scams and pitfalls and may pick up a few bargains.

So if you are not looking to be fooled by the 'genuine Gibson for $300' surely it's possible that a lot of the guitars on these Chinese sites are perfectly respectable guitars for the money?

Is it also true that many unbranded/lesser-known guitars are made in the same foreign factories as the name brands? That while they're hardly 'the same thing, only without the name on the headstock' they are made using the same materials and processes and to the same standards?

I still see a number of pitfalls - for example the ad says it's mahogany, but are you actually going to get mahogany or crappy plywood? Also, the photo looks good, but is this a photo of the actual guitar you're going to get? I've seen a number of different sellers showing the same identical photo, each one claiming 'this is a photo of the genuine article - what you see is what you get' etc.

So there is no doubt a lot of crap out there, but surely there's no reason why some guitars built in Chinese factories shouldn't be built to a good standard and thus OK for the money? Surely there are plenty of good unbranded guitars out there (decent materials, decent build quality) just as there are no doubt plenty of unplayable trees - the problem is knowing the difference?
Verzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #100
fanapathy
B-Tuned

^Just read feedback for the seller, google them etc, they will often have a lot of shills and fake feedback for themselves but you should be able to distinguish those from real accounts

I bought a guitar once claiming to be real, it was for $280 or so. When I got it and discovered it was a (pretty well done) fake, I disputed it on the site and rather than sending back and getting a refund, we settled for half price (it was escrowed). It's actually a pretty decent guitar for the price. It just pissed me off so much that they pass them off as genuine. Lot of musicians in 3rd world countries use these because they can't afford the real thing, and the ones I talked to said they're generally decent guitars

If you gonna buy, get them off of popular sellers who have gotten good reviews, also have a chat with them and see if they're honest about the product - some of the "factories" probably make useless instruments. IMO it's gonna be a much better deal to buy a Chinese guitar online than a budget low-end brand in your local store. And also make sure the "wholesale site" has an escrow so that you can inspect and negotiate when you receive it before the payment goes through
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: