User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
TechnicolorType
<33333333334567

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextexrex
To change the tempo in FL studio, right click the tempo and click "Create Automation Clip." Now you can mess around with the automation to adjust for the tempo. However, you will need to correct the spacing on your midi drum track. Also, the automation for tempo is really sensitive so you will need to do some fine tuning with it to get it exactly how you want it.

ahhhh, I only use the program for real basic stuff so I would have never thought of that. Just recently did I realize you can create automation filters for anything you touch.
Thanks a load!
TechnicolorType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
lextexrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicolorType
ahhhh, I only use the program for real basic stuff so I would have never thought of that. Just recently did I realize you can create automation filters for anything you touch.
Thanks a load!

Figuring out automation was probably the coolest thing ever. It was by mistake I found out you could automate tempo, cuz as you said, I literally was right clicking everything to see it get automated.
lextexrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Elksu
_____

Nice tutorial, good work!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

spam post reported.

Do like the Offspring. Ya gotta keep it drum-related!
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
Slapp62
Semi-Noob

@Carson Stevens

Could you make an an advanced tutorial? like for snare rolls and fills and the like. By the way, nice intro.
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Slapp62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I'll see what I can do. My understanding of rolls is that they require samples of an actual roll (correct me if I'm wrong). Fills, on the other hand, are just short patterns you use to break up the main beat. I can definitely walk people through the fill creation I did for Code Monkey.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #27
Slapp62
Semi-Noob

that would be awesome. I'll be working off of this until I get EZDrummer so the more the better
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Slapp62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
DakoRob
Hm... Needs more Prog...

This is a great way to do drums. I personally like using hydrogen, its great freeware, and you can input your own samples.
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
DakoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #29
lister1213

thanks for this, anyone know of a more rock sounding set of drum samples?
lister1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister1213
thanks for this, anyone know of a more rock sounding set of drum samples?

Try the sample pack I linked to in my first post. It contains hundreds of samples. You should be able to piece something together from that.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #31
Bmajor
guitar for real

You are a generous genius! Code Monkey rules! To make rolls you can use 1/132's and do the every other velocity thing but start going up each 2 hits so they get louder like a real drummer would do. Sticky this!
Bmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #32
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?

added to the resources sticky.
mikeyElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
BlackVeins

How come my drums sound like complete shit? They sound nothing like the OP's and I followed his directions step by step and followed his link for the drum samples.

Edit: Never mind, disregard this

Last edited by BlackVeins : 01-28-2011 at 10:04 PM.
BlackVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Hello again.

If you've spent any length of time working with multi-tracked MIDI drums as discussed in my last tutorial, you'll begin to notice a few... inconveniences. For one thing, things get a little hairy when you start adding toms into the mix and try to program any kind of aascending/descending fills, since each tom is on its own track. You've probably gotten cranky and griped, "Why can't I just use one MIDI track for my entire drum part?"

Well, now you can! This tutorial is about how to use the Synthesis/drum_seq plugin provided with Reaper in order to combine multiple drum samples into a single "patch", then load that patch into Reaper and use it with your MIDI parts.

Who is this tutorial for?

To get the most out of this tutorial, you should have gone through (or at least read and understood) the first post in this thread, which explains the basics of adding tracks to your project, setting FX on those tracks, and programming basic MIDI parts. You will also need drum samples. See my original post for a link on where to find some.

What are the advantages of doing this versus just doing it the "old" way?

The biggest advantages to creating a drum patch are:
  1. Reuse. Once you've created a patch, you can load it and use it whenever you want, without having to remember which individual samples you used and piece the kit together each time. It's very easy to create different "drum kits", like those that come with software such as EZDrummer.
  2. One-track usage: With all (or just most) of your drums on one MIDI track, it's a little easier to apply FX/volume balancing to your drums as a whole, without having to dick with setting up folders or send/receive channels. It also makes programming fills infinitely, infinitely easier.

So, let's get started.

Step 1: Create your drum patch.

A "drum patch" is just a fancy term for a sound file that contains all of your drum samples on a single timeline. (Disclaimer: I may be wrong about this. For the purposes of this tutorial, though, it works. Do you know a different/better way? Share it in this thread! )

1. Create a new Reaper project, and add a single track to it. The tempo is unimportant.

2. Next, dig through your samples and decide which ones you want to be part of the patch. Keep in mind that you're limited to 127 different "notes"; one sample equals one note. For this example I've kept it simple and selected one hi-hat, one kick drum, and one snare.

3. Once you've got your samples, drag them onto the track's timeline (or select "Media File" from the Insert menu). Make sure to leave some silence between each sample; in other words, don't jam them right up next to one another. (In fact, the amount of space I left between the snare and the hi-hat in the screenshot isn't enough... so leave more than I did. If you don't, the samples will not be properly separated when the plugin plays them.)

Note that the order you place your samples on the timeline is the order in which they'll be added to the MIDI note set. As you will see, the MIDI editor lists them in reverse order, from the bottom up.

4. Render your project. The default settings are fine, however you may want to experiment with different file formats such as .mp3 or .ogg to keep the filesize from getting out of hand.

Step 2: Install your patch.

Copy the file you just rendered to your Application Data folder. I found mine in C:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\Application Data\REAPER\Data\drum_patchsets under Windows XP. Your location may vary, and you may need to create the drum_patchsets directory.

Step 3: Program your drums.

1. Create a new project. This one is the song you'll be working on. Add a new track (not a Virtual Instrument, a blank track), and call it "Drums" (...or not. Be a rebel. )

2. Insert a new MIDI item on this track, and add the "Synthesis/midi_drumseq" plugin to the track's FX.

In the plugin's settings panel, select the patch you just created from the "Patch Set" dropdown list. Then, double-click the MIDI item to open the editor.

3. Click "View" and select "Mode: Named Notes" instead of "Piano Roll". You should see the piano keys on the left-hand side get replaced with a stack of numbers.

These numbers are your actual note mappings; if you left the default settings in the drumseq plugin alone, your drum patch samples will begin at note number 60. Scroll down to this entry in the list and place a few notes in its' lane. You should hear your sample trigger as the notes are laid down.

4. Chart out your drum part and close the MIDI editor. Select "Render", and enjoy your new patch-fueled drum track.

Closing Comments

One neat trick now available to you is to create "partial" drum kits; for example, you can create a patch solely for different types of toms, and then use a single tom track mixed in with a multi-tracked kit as laid out in the original tutorial. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Enjoy, and I'll see you next time.

-CS

Last edited by CarsonStevens : 01-12-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #35
TJ1991
Custom User Title

Brilliant, thanks for this! Just a quick question for those using the Humanize option, which is clearly a useful tool; What do you recommend setting the timing and velocity percentages to? I've only just started using it, and don't want to finish my mixing then realise i've gone over the top with it, or not set it high enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for female-fronted rock band Viszera.
TJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1991
Brilliant, thanks for this! Just a quick question for those using the Humanize option, which is clearly a useful tool; What do you recommend setting the timing and velocity percentages to? I've only just started using it, and don't want to finish my mixing then realise i've gone over the top with it, or not set it high enough.

This is going to sound like a cop-out, but I'd say "whatever sounds right to you". Currently, I manually set my "off-beat" velocities to roughly 3/4 of the maximum and don't Humanize at all. Too much and it'll sound sloppy, yes, but I've yet to hear anyone say "those drums are too perfect", except when I was obviously looping a pattern and not using any variations or fills.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #37
)v(egaFan90
donkey chains......

When I click on the patch set drop down list nothing shows up. I'm using Windows 7, so I copied my file to: C:/program files/REAPER(x64)/InstallData/drum_patchsets and still nothing is appearing in the drop down box. I've also tried the file location: C:/program files/REAPER(x64)/InstallData/Data/drum_patchsets with no success. Any suggestions?

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Last edited by )v(egaFan90 : 09-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.
)v(egaFan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
Gerard_xD
-

Really useful, thanks!

One question, though (sorry if you've covered it.)

On my hi-hat track when I try to delete note 5, it will also delete 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8. Same goes if I delete 5.2 (it will delete, 1.2, 2.2, etc)

Is there a way to de-select this option? Sorry if you've covered it.

Also the samples sound way too short (i.e. instead of going "tssshhhhhhh" the crash will go "tsht")

Last edited by Gerard_xD : 09-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
When I click on the patch set drop down list nothing shows up. I'm using Windows 7, so I copied my file to: C:/program files/REAPER(x64)/InstallData/drum_patchsets and still nothing is appearing in the drop down box. I've also tried the file location: C:/program files/REAPER(x64)/InstallData/Data/drum_patchsets with no success. Any suggestions?

The drum sequencer no longer looks in the InstallData directory for the patchsets. Try C:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\Application Data\REAPER\Data\drum_patchsets instead.

Quote:
On my hi-hat track when I try to delete note 5, it will also delete 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8. Same goes if I delete 5.2 (it will delete, 1.2, 2.2, etc)

Is there a way to de-select this option? Sorry if you've covered it.

It's because you're looping a small pattern, so making modifications to that pattern affects every instance of the loop. Lengthen the pattern duration itself until it's as many measures long as it needs to be to incorporate all of your variations, then loop that longer pattern instead. I can go into further details if that doesn't make sense, assuming that's even the problem.

Quote:
Also the samples sound way too short (i.e. instead of going "tssshhhhhhh" the crash will go "tsht")

The note duration in the MIDI roll needs to be long enough to let the entire sound play. This is only really an issue with crash cymbals, as you've noticed.

Put your mouse cursor over the right-hand part of the note rectangle and drag it until the note is at least a quarter-note in duration. If that's still too short, extend it further. I usually leave my crashes as half-notes.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
Gerard_xD
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonStevens
It's because you're looping a small pattern, so making modifications to that pattern affects every instance of the loop. Lengthen the pattern duration itself until it's as many measures long as it needs to be to incorporate all of your variations, then loop that longer pattern instead. I can go into further details if that doesn't make sense, assuming that's even the problem.

Thanks, that really helped

Quote:
The note duration in the MIDI roll needs to be long enough to let the entire sound play. This is only really an issue with crash cymbals, as you've noticed.

Put your mouse cursor over the right-hand part of the note rectangle and drag it until the note is at least a quarter-note in duration. If that's still too short, extend it further. I usually leave my crashes as half-notes.

Thanks again

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: