Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
shredibanez24
Slaters gonna Slate

Loose nut and washer on tuning peg

Alright so I noticed that the washer is spinning around under the nut of the B string on one of my guitars. I put a pic in with an arrow pointing to what I'm talking about. Now to fix this would I just simply have to tighten the nut a bit so it stops buzzing? It seems simple but I just wanna be sure. Thanks

(sorry it's such a big pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W

Last edited by shredibanez24 : 11-21-2010 at 09:24 PM.
shredibanez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
olix95

you can just tighten it
olix95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
jetwash69

Could be. Or the tuning machine housing could be broken--had 2 of those at the same time in a Squier. If the tuning isn't stable, then it might be broken and that would explain why the washer is loose...
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
shredibanez24
Slaters gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Could be. Or the tuning machine housing could be broken--had 2 of those at the same time in a Squier. If the tuning isn't stable, then it might be broken and that would explain why the washer is loose...

The tuning is perfect, it's just that the washer is spinning around. The same thing is happening on my buddy's Jackson and the tuning on that is fine too. It's just annoying to listen to it buzz.

Quote:
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
jetwash69

Then you should just be able to tighten them--you'll want to use a wrench, but don't turn it more than 1/16th of a turn beyond finger tight or you'll over torque--that won't be good for the headstock finish and it could break the tuning machine, too.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
shredibanez24
Slaters gonna Slate

Alright man thanks for the help

Quote:
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
LeftyDave
It's time for a change...

To do it right, relieve the tension on that tuner. Check the back of the tuner and make sure the two small screws are tight before you tighten down the nut. Then snug down the nut holding the beauty ring on. If it vibrates loose again in a short period of time, a little dab of nail polish on the threads may be in order, or a new tuner. Nail polish instead of locktight because it can be broken loose later easily, and is available clear, while locktight is color coded for the degree of hold it provides.
There's no getting around the fact that the beauty ring is going to leave an impression in the face of the headstock. It will have done that from the factory. Overtightening it will only make the impression worse of course. But it's reason is to hide the plain-jane looking hole that the tuner post comes through. I've seen guitars without them that work perfectly fine tuning-wise.
LeftyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDave
To do it right, relieve the tension on that tuner. Check the back of the tuner and make sure the two small screws are tight before you tighten down the nut. Then snug down the nut holding the beauty ring on. If it vibrates loose again in a short period of time, a little dab of nail polish on the threads may be in order, or a new tuner. Nail polish instead of locktight because it can be broken loose later easily, and is available clear, while locktight is color coded for the degree of hold it provides.
There's no getting around the fact that the beauty ring is going to leave an impression in the face of the headstock. It will have done that from the factory. Overtightening it will only make the impression worse of course. But it's reason is to hide the plain-jane looking hole that the tuner post comes through. I've seen guitars without them that work perfectly fine tuning-wise.

LeftyDave, you're not killing this thread...yet. Thanks for the additional insight. I concur with everything you said, and I should have mentioned relieving the tension, too.

TS: BTW, the beauty ring also keeps the nut from chewing up the headstock, but if you're not careful, the wrench could chew it up too, even if you'r using a socket. You might want to mask the area around the washer with painter's tape if you really care about the finish.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 11-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
shredibanez24
Slaters gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
LeftyDave, you're not killing this thread...yet. Thanks for the additional insight. I concur with everything you said, and I should have mentioned relieving the tension, too.

TS: BTW, the beauty ring also keeps the nut from chewing up the headstock, but if you're not careful, the wrench could chew it up too, even if you'r using a socket. You might want to mask the area around the washer with painter's tape if you really care about the finish.

Alright, I tightened it really carefully, just enough so it stops buzzing. Next time I go to change the strings I'll make sure to tighten it a little more and I'll tape down like you said so it doesnt chew up the headstock. Thanks for the help guys!

Quote:
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W