Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
aeshawerh

Moving to UK to make it big?

Hello, I'm currently 16 years old and I want to play in a band .
I live in Germany right now but I want to move to England to play Pantera influenced metal and some day make it big. I thought about moving to the US but I would have to move in a container with a bunch of Mexicans or something(but who knows, I might not need a Visa and a Green Card in about 5 years time ).

Now here's my question, is it worth it? I plan to move in about 10 years time after I finish Uni.
aeshawerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
progbass
UG Resident

This is every bit as entertaining as I wanted it to be.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
aeshawerh

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
This is every bit as entertaining as I wanted it to be.

I don't understand.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you plan to move in about 10 years, start thinking about asking this again in 9.5 years time.

Between now & then your ambitions, the various national economies, your musical tastes, and the musical taste of the paying customer will have changed immeasurably.

Anything said now is pointless.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
aeshawerh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If you plan to move in about 10 years, start thinking about asking this again in 9.5 years time.

Between now & then your ambitions, the various national economies, your musical tastes, and the musical taste of the paying customer will have changed immeasurably.

Anything said now is pointless.

I have one more question, do you think I'll need a visa to go to the USA in that time?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of how the future will impact upon governmental policies on immigration.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
PSimonR
PSR

1. If you really want to be in a metal band join one now, you don't need a degree and you only have to be able to play distorted power chords and high speed nonsense
2. There's little point coming to England to do it. There are lots of successful European metal bands, its just a matter of finding the right people to join up with and having the talent and dedication to get on with it.
3. If you have a degree in a sensible subject and get a job with a US company then a Visa and a Green Card will come quite easily, if you really wanted to life in the US (why???).
4. Why would you want to play old stuff like Pantera influenced metal anyway? At 16 you should be pioneering a new sort of music, or at least a new sort of metal.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshawerh
Hello, I'm currently 16 years old and I want to play in a band .
I live in Germany right now but I want to move to England to play Pantera influenced metal and some day make it big. I thought about moving to the US but I would have to move in a container with a bunch of Mexicans or something(but who knows, I might not need a Visa and a Green Card in about 5 years time ).

Now here's my question, is it worth it? I plan to move in about 10 years time after I finish Uni.

A 16 year old who wants to play in a band? You gotta be ****in' kidding! You're way to old to start now! That ship sailed at least 7 years ago, buddy!

Serious though, you're ****ed. Here's a list of reasons why, starting with your most serious offense.

"Making it big" It's not the 80's anymore. You should play music for the love of it and forget the whole idea of super rockstardom, because it doesn't even really exist anymore.

Pantera-influenced metal There are 7.4 million bands like this. No more, no less. Exactly 7.4 million. Think about that.

You're from Germany nothing further needs to be added here.

"a container with a bunch of Mexicans" what are they, ****in sardines? I mean sure, they smell, but that's just rude. I live in the U.S. and the whole "Mexican problem" isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've barely left my house in 4 days and have only run into like 6 or 7 Mexicans, tops. Just turn on the lights and they all scatter back under the fridge, not a big deal.

And no, you don't need a Visa or a Green Card... as long as you come in through the South Entrance.

Good luck in all your endeavors, and have a great day!

edit: removed unnecessary apostraphe, added necessary comma

Last edited by guitgrinder : 09-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
aeshawerh

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
A 16 year old who wants to play in a band? You gotta be ****in' kidding! You're way to old to start now! That ship sailed at least 7 years ago, buddy!

Serious though, you're ****ed. Here's a list of reasons why, starting with your most serious offense.

"Making it big" It's not the 80's anymore. You should play music for the love of it and forget the whole idea of super rockstardom, because it doesn't even really exist anymore.

Pantera-influenced metal There are 7.4 million bands like this. No more, no less. Exactly 7.4 million. Think about that.

You're from Germany nothing further needs to be added here.

"a container with a bunch of Mexicans" what are they, ****in sardines? I mean sure, they smell, but that's just rude. I live in the U.S. and the whole "Mexican problem" isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've barely left my house in 4 days and have only run into like 6 or 7 Mexicans, tops. Just turn on the lights and they all scatter back under the fridge, not a big deal.

And no, you don't need a Visa or a Green Card... as long as you come in through the South Entrance.

Good luck in all your endeavors, and have a great day!

edit: removed unnecessary apostraphe, added necessary comma

South entrance? Besides, I actually live in a Half-polish Half-German town. Also, why am I too old to start?
EDIT:That Mexican thing was a joke.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
aeshawerh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
1. If you really want to be in a metal band join one now, you don't need a degree and you only have to be able to play distorted power chords and high speed nonsense
2. There's little point coming to England to do it. There are lots of successful European metal bands, its just a matter of finding the right people to join up with and having the talent and dedication to get on with it.
3. If you have a degree in a sensible subject and get a job with a US company then a Visa and a Green Card will come quite easily, if you really wanted to life in the US (why???).
4. Why would you want to play old stuff like Pantera influenced metal anyway? At 16 you should be pioneering a new sort of music, or at least a new sort of metal.

I want to play similair to Pantera because it's the last normal metal band, almost everything after them is shit.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

To successfully emulate Pantera, you must first master the art of cheerleading

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
aeshawerh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
To successfully emulate Pantera, you must first master the art of cheerleading

Phil "The Cheerleader" Anselmo
Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Making your career music related is all cool with me, but a band is not the way to do it.

And especially not a Pantera-influenced "Metal" band.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Ziggy V
Kvlt Drvnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshawerh
I want to play similair to Pantera because it's the last normal metal band, almost everything after them is shit.

Please commit suicide. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

This is the age of the internet; you don't need to move anywhere to make a career (unless you live in either a. an underdeveloped nation with few prospects or b. you live in a small town and want to move into the city or something along those lines, or c. live in an area where the local culture just isn't going to accept your music. None of those seem to be the case here).

I don't see why you'd have to move from Germany to do this unless you just want a reason to move.

I won't say much about the Pantera-style metal band but the other guys in the thread are right. If that's what you as an artist want to do, then do it but don't expect a career out of it. You could possibly have the band alongside a more sustainable career, whether that be music-related or something else.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Baby Joel
nah that's not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy V
Please commit suicide. Thanks.

Please never suggest this, even in jokes. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel

The next time you have this thought, kill yourself. Thanks.
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #18
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Please don't do this...especially not Pantera-esque metal. I like some Pantera songs, but we don't need more Pantera copycats.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #19
Ziggy V
Kvlt Drvnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel

Bitch, I ain't yo baby daddy!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
jimihendrix6699

How about you mix pantera with bob dylan youd make it big for sure
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: