Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
yayapapaya38

Why is Led Zeppelin so popular

Why? I have just listened through theirs songs and apart from Stairway and Good times bad times, I can't seem to appreciate their rock songs. I am a beginner rock guitarist. SORRY IF I sound dumb but I hope to play some Led songs in the future.
yayapapaya38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
Cajundaddy

No accounting for taste so play the stuff you like. Zep I rocked my world when I was 13 and things haven't been the same since.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
ryanbwags

This may not make a lot of sense to you, but Zeppelin broke a lot of rules and paved their own way in popular rock music.
They did things that are commonplace for rock bands these days. For one thing, they refused to trim their songs to less than 3 minutes long. That may not sound like a big deal these days, but if you didn't do this in the 60's your songs did NOT go on the radio. As a result, they passed on several record deals. They made it acceptable to write songs over 7 or 8 minutes long.

Like what you want. Stairway is one of the reasons they are so popular. It's one of the classic rock epics, and usually the first song everyone thinks of when you say Led Zeppelin.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Rensa
Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayapapaya38
Why? I have just listened through theirs songs and apart from Stairway and Good times bad times, I can't seem to appreciate their rock songs. I am a beginner rock guitarist. SORRY IF I sound dumb but I hope to play some Led songs in the future.

I don't like em either. But hey, never let other people influence your taste so you would be cool listening to the typical Guns n Roses, Ac/dc, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Meh... Overplayed we need new instruments cause i think everything has allready been done on guitar.
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
The Judist
The problem is choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayapapaya38

Go listen to:
Whole Lotta Love
Heartbreaker
Nobody's fault But Mine
Kashmir
In The Evening
The Rain Song
All My Love

then get back to us and we'll chat
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
MapOfYourHead
Die young? Die old.

cos they sound good innit
Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
GaryBillington
The Original

I'm not a big fan either, to me they're OK, but that's about it. Everyone has a different opinion about all bands.

But why would you want to play some of their songs if you don't like them? Stick to playing what you enjoy, and you'll enjoy playing more.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
apbluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
This may not make a lot of sense to you, but Zeppelin broke a lot of rules and paved their own way in popular rock music.
They did things that are commonplace for rock bands these days. For one thing, they refused to trim their songs to less than 3 minutes long. That may not sound like a big deal these days, but if you didn't do this in the 60's your songs did NOT go on the radio. As a result, they passed on several record deals. They made it acceptable to write songs over 7 or 8 minutes long.

Like what you want. Stairway is one of the reasons they are so popular. It's one of the classic rock epics, and usually the first song everyone thinks of when you say Led Zeppelin.

Along these lines...

Zeppelin faced pressure from producers to shorten Stairway to Heaven because an 8 min song could NEVER achieve success on the radio. To this day, it is one of the most played songs on the radio... I am glad they stuck to their guns and did not sacrifice their artistic integrity to conform to perceived commercial limitations.

I think a lot of Zeppelin die hards look down on Stairway to Heaven due to its commercial success. Personally I can only listen to it about once a year, but still really like the song.

TS, I recommend you listen to "Over the Hills and Far Away". This song was a big motivator for me when I started learning the guitar. I also really enjoy No Quarter...

Overall if you do not like Led Zeppelin; you just do not like them... despite what some people may tell you, there is nothing wrong with that.
apbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

They really aren't that popular anymore outside of the "40+ white male" and "10-16 white male that just discovered guitar and rock and has not yet outgrown that phase" demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Cajundaddy

Rock & Roll is a regular part of our live set that always gets positive response. Last month I was playing in a live jam and somebody started off with Stairway. I thought "really?" but it turned out to be my favorite song of the night. I pulled 80% of the outro solo out of my azz.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Will Lane
's valveking will eat you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
They really aren't that popular anymore outside of the "40+ white male" and "10-16 white male that just discovered guitar and rock and has not yet outgrown that phase" demographics.

^ Don't forget the "metal is the only music" demographic.

I don't listen to Zep that much. But if I said I haven't taken anything from Paige, I'd be a liar.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
strat-O-matic92

To each is their own. They must be somewhat popular hence all those record sales. Its the same arguement people make about Nirvana and how they "paved the way" for grunge despite making really simple music and not even being the first grunge band at the time. Once your a so-called pioneer many people gravitate towards you in time. Thats my take on it atleast. That being said im a big fan of Led Zeppelin because some of Jimmy Page's guitar work and creative is second to none with possibly the exception of Jimi Hendrix
strat-O-matic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
NogginNogbad

Interesting thread this one. I was in my 20's then and I could never really get into Led Zep but like most bands whenever I buy a CD out of the whole CD I generally only really like 3 or 4 tracks. For some reason I was never a big fan of Pink Floyd which was almost heresy in those days!
NogginNogbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
monwobobbo

guess you had to be there. I was a teenager in the 70s and can tell you that Led Zeppelin were gods back then. they invented a much copied style so yeah nowadays they might not seem like a big deal as you've heard stuff like that a million times. the band had a really cool mystique that had little to do with the music. Plant was a truly original vocalist and Jimmy Page a true guitar hero. much has been built on the foundation that LZ started. I can understand why folks to young to remember any of this might say "what's the big deal". it's a matter of history just as much as music. at the time they were fresh and trailblazing, something that may be lost on new listeners.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
hanginout

I think it also helps to listen to each album the whole way through and think of it as one continuous song. For me I started listening to them just by checking out their most popular stuff on itunes but appreciated it more when I went through all the albums. I honestly appreciate paiges guitar playing the most. Plant has a great voice but for me a lot of his lyrics are repetitive and he says baby too much.
hanginout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
Solomon8

Led Zeppelin was among famous rock bands of its time. I think they will always be counted among best band of all time. This band always produced top class music and songs. Who will forget them?
Solomon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon8
Who will forget them?

Probably most people that don't listen to rock music and/or weren't around at that time. Just ask the average high school kid today about Led Zeppelin. Probably less than half of them know who that even is and most that do know probably only know them as "some old rock band that my dad listens to" and probably couldn't name one song other than maybe Stairway to Heaven, and they probably don't even know what it sounds like.

At the same time that high school kid can probably tell you everything about Luke Bryan, Rick Ross, Taylor Swift, or Deadmau5 (depending on what part of the country and what sort of clique they are from) because that's what today's generation actually listens to (and not classic rock). That's just the way it is, for better or for worse and there really is nothing you can do about it other than get over it and accept it for what it is.

Quote:
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777

As someone in their mid 20's with many friends, family, and coworkers of similar age that still listen to them and similar bands on a regular basis, I can say from my own personal experience that this is inaccurate. Setting aside that Zeppelin is still regularly played on my local radio stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #19
Sauntman

I started getting into Led Zeppelin back in the mid 80's while I was in college. It wasn't long before I started believing they were the best rock band ever. Now, 30 years later, I still consider them to be the greatest rock band ever. I sort of burned myself out on them, so I don't listen to them very often now, but when I do they still sound great to me. They just don't make hard rock bands like they used to.
Sauntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #20
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
As someone in their mid 20's with many friends, family, and coworkers of similar age that still listen to them and similar bands on a regular basis, I can say from my own personal experience that this is inaccurate. Setting aside that Zeppelin is still regularly played on my local radio stations.

Just because you and a few people you know are exceptions doesn't make you the rule. Also the only stations regularly playing them... are the stations that aim towards the aforementioned demographics.

Quote:

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Rate This Thread: