Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

What are you goons listening to lately?

So, in case you haven't noticed this forum is deaaaad. I'd like for y'all to come back. Let's talk what we're consuming recently. Don't care if it is alternative or indie. Whatcha hearing?
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
BUZZARD__

I've been listening to a ton of Hank III, oh and the Nick 13 (tiger army) solo album has been on regular rotation.

Also have been revisiting some of the old punk rock and hardcore I listened to as a teen, for example the escaped, a band in Portland that was pretty big in the early 2000's.

Wolfbrigade is everyday life
BUZZARD__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
neidnarb11890
last year's model

Bla-bla-bla

bob dylan, new order, kate bush, elvis costello & the attractions, the clash, the damned, capt. beefheart, public image ltd, brian eno, charles mingus
neidnarb11890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
steve_muse
UG Resident

You changed your sig cos of me? I am honoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
slipknot5678
UG Addict

hey brad what is some good country music?
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

The Sturgill Simpson record from this year is good. What else from this year? Lavender Country reissue is worth hearing. All country songs about bein' gay. Do you want stuff not from this year too?

I been listening to DeepChord, Adult Jazz, The Feelies, and Mission of Burma.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
bradulator
new sincerity

I don't listen to new things anymore.

Things i've been heavily jamming to this whole year: The Hold Steady, The dB's, New Order, Gang of Four, Rolling Stones, Hank Williams, The Upsetters, Gram Parsons, Front Bottoms, Big Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
hey brad what is some good country music?

uhh_me?'s got good suggestions. Jason Isbell, Gram Parsons (i've had his GP and Grievous Angel albums in my car stereo for a while now), Hank Williams of course.

I have a spotify playlist that has all of my favorite country songs so i'm just gonna type out all of the artists: Ernest Tubb, Kacey Musgraves, The Carter Family, Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, The Stanley Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, Harry Choates, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Robbie Fulks, Jimmie Rodgers, Louvin Brothers, Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, Kris Kristofferson, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams.

I listen to the bolded most often.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
steve_muse
UG Resident

Listened to Adult Jazz earlier, dunno how I feel, it's kinda cool and slick and interesting but kinda self-indulgent too, or at least I was bored a few times

Gf got me You're Dead! on vinyl, it's a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

The self-indulgent thing is interesting to me because i hear that, but it also seems like a calculated move. There's something of a self-consciousness hanging over the album.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
slipknot5678
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
uhh_me?'s got good suggestions. Jason Isbell, Gram Parsons (i've had his GP and Grievous Angel albums in my car stereo for a while now), Hank Williams of course.

I have a spotify playlist that has all of my favorite country songs so i'm just gonna type out all of the artists: Ernest Tubb, Kacey Musgraves, The Carter Family, Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, The Stanley Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, Harry Choates, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Robbie Fulks, Jimmie Rodgers, Louvin Brothers, Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, Kris Kristofferson, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams.

I listen to the bolded most often.

Thanks.

heard of some of those but never gave them a proper listen with a few exceptions (I've always respected and on rare occasions listened to Kris Kirstofferson, for example). My opinion towards country was always 'I like the genres it draws from and there's probably good stuff out there' but what I've had forced down my throat my whole life was the bad stuff that actually isn't country.

These should be good listens. I'd love to see the genre for what it really is.

Thanks to you too uhh me; brad's was newest so that's what I read first wasn't overlooking you promise.

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 12-24-2014 at 08:28 PM.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
thingswecarry

Revisted Spiderland by Slint and oh boy, is it now one of my top favorite albums.
thingswecarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
nicenice00

A lot of Lifter Puller and the Hold Steady lately. I've been in love with Craig Finn's narratives for a long time, but only recently have I been obsessed with them, especially the ones in LP lyrics.

koi4u.bandcamp.com

thehousingglow.bandcamp.com

killthebats.bandcamp.com
nicenice00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
bradulator
new sincerity

Can't beat Separation Sunday
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
IntCos

I've been listening to a lot of The Fall recently. Jeez, where have this band been all my life?! Also Gang of Four, OMD, Black Angels, Lou Reed, Nico, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Pulp...
IntCos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #15
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

This is one of my favorite songs right now i think some of you guys would like it if you haven't given gladys much of a listen. the "you beg her to love you, but me you dont ask" moment is gold. My housemate was listening to the bruno mars song when i was your man and it reminded me of this tune a bit so i had to show it to her

Been listening to a lot of Stephen Steinbrink and Emperor X lately. Emperor X crashed at my house last year and came on my radio show and stuff so I went up to see him in DC a couple weeks ago. Such a great show. He's a brilliant and friendly guy too. Probably one of the most interesting and important-feeling artists I've come across these past couple years. Western Teleport is a fantastic album and a great place to start if you're interested in him at all. He's got this spazzy brilliance in his songs, sort of hits technological/geopolitical themes and intense intimacy at the same time. It carries a lot of emotional weight for me anyway.

This is a great album from Stephen Steinbrink, it's called arranged waves. I really like the production on it. Gets the songs across nicely. I got it with an iTunes gift card ( ) and the itunes bonus track "try to believe" is actually great too.
http://stephensteinbrink.bandcamp.c.../arranged-waves

Here is a video i just uploaded from the D.C. show. I'll put some other Emperor X vids in spoilers if anyone's interested.
show

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #16
Wormholes
i love your wall

Lots of cloudkicker(I guess prog rock but same thing) and Minus the bear. I've been listening to the same like five bands for the last year, I need to start getting into music again.
Wormholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
Indrid_Cold

New to the guitar and the site and just wanted to add Lord Huron to the mix of artists to listen to. Absolutely love their sound.
Indrid_Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #18
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

I'm probably one of the most diverse music fans there is. I can find stuff to enjoy from every genre of music except "Rap", which I absolutely detest. I do find myself listening to a lot of instrumentals lately. I'm a guitarist so I'm big on guitar instrumentals.

Check out my favorite guitarist.

If I could I'd join his road crew just so I could listen to him a lot even though I am an old white-haired man.

Update: Jesus! I was listening to the videos I posted and "Over the Rainbow" made me cry again.

Last edited by stueycaster : 02-02-2015 at 08:25 AM.
stueycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
Amuro Jay
Londo Bell Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stueycaster
I'm probably one of the most diverse music fans there is. I can find stuff to enjoy from every genre of music except "Rap", which I absolutely detest.
your second statement renders your first statement (which is arbitrary and pretentious) false
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
your second statement renders your first statement (which is arbitrary and pretentious) false

No it doesn't. I have no idea how many different genres there are but there are a lot of them. One genre out of however many is a pretty small percentage. You are obviously a fan of "Rap" and you're holding my tastes against me. I would never hold it against you that you like "Rap". We are all entitled to our own opinion.
stueycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: