Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Mad Marius

Prs SE vs MIM Strat

Now, a PRS Custom SE and a Blacktop Strat are in the same price range where I live. Which would you say is generally better in terms of the quality of the wood, neck, hardware, electronics, fretwire, fretwork, and so on?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Mad Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

I like them both, but the Blacktop Strats I've played have been a bit better actually. And cheaper. If I were to buy one, it'd be the Strat.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Marley Tokunaga
I hate P. Diddy

I've always been a fan of PRS, but I must agree that the new blacktop Strats that Fender has been putting out have been pretty damn good. At this point it's just your personal opinion of the guitar. IMO the PRS is better because I've never really liked the strat feel, but I love the sound that Fender guitars give. Look at your style of playing, look at what appeals more to you, and look towards the overall feel of the guitar or vibe you're getting from the guitar.
Marley Tokunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
ikey_

no question PRS SE is better built in ever way IMO. both are good for what they cost.

alot of SEs go for so cheap they are practically given away. im going to get flamed for this, but honestly i find ever SE ive ever held to be superior quality to gibson studio models. and they put epiphones to shame.

probably one of the best 400 dollar used instruments money can buy.....all instruments. anywhere.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
RokLobsta

I bought a PRS SE custom 24 a couple of weeks before I heard of the Blacktop. I have always liked the strat feel and I'm considering selling it to buy the strat.

Does the strat have a coil splitter?
RokLobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
demon.guitarist
The Bronies got me too...

I love both but the strat would get my vote.

It all depends on your style of playing.

I prefer the bridge/neck shape/weight/balance of the strat which is my justification
demon.guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i've played both but prefer the SE myself.

the black top strat trem block is the super small kind that used to come on squiers. that bothers me. why cheap out on the trem block when it's one of the most important elements to a guitar's sustain?

the tuners on both of them are pretty poor and would likely need to be replaced at some point.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
NorthernPaul

I prefer my SE, but just because it feels so nice in my hands. I think quality wise they are pretty even so just try both and see what 'fits' you.
NorthernPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
dr_john
yer blues

that's a tough call.

i bought a prs se a few months ago, my other guitars are american strats. purely in terms of build quality, the prs takes a lot of beating, it's a superbly built guitar for the money.

i don't know about the blacktop strat but i've heard good things about it.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
xxunder-takerxx
The UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
no question PRS SE is better built in ever way IMO. both are good for what they cost.

alot of SEs go for so cheap they are practically given away. im going to get flamed for this, but honestly i find ever SE ive ever held to be superior quality to gibson studio models. and they put epiphones to shame.

probably one of the best 400 dollar used instruments money can buy.....all instruments. anywhere.

this, this, and this. iv owned quite a few guitars now, even a gibson and fender or 2, and my prs se is by far the best. iv owned 2 so far and thinking about getting a 3rd. they cost a bit much new for the lack of bells, whistles, and flash, but the used price is great and their playability is the best ive felt (aside from a real prs).

now of course, what i just said means basically nothing to you. go play them. they are fairly different.
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
xxunder-takerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

i would say the prs. i prefer the pickups they have and they seem to be better put together in general

that being said, play them. you may find that the fender feels better or that you prefer the extra chime from the fender humbuckers. the two guitars, though pretty close on paper, are ultimately very different instruments and you really must play them to really be able to make the best possible choice.
krehzeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

In terms of quality, they're about the same. What it really boils down it is putting your hands on both guitars and seeing which one feels more natural to you. If you don't like thin necks, you'll like the PRS. If you don't like beefy necks, you'll like the Fender.

As far a sound, the PRS might have the advantage due to it having the better tonewoods to accentuate humbuckers in my opinion. The 'buckers in the Fender are pretty trash sounding, and I'm a giant Fender fanboy. Although, if you like the feel and look of the guitar, the pickups are very easily replaced.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: