Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
NihilistNixon
Banned

Fender Jaguar vs. Fender Jazzmaster

Ive been using a red Fender Strat for the past year and Im ready for a new guitar to go along with my new pedals. Im torn between the Jag and the Jazzmaster and really want to know what the difference bewteen them is. Im looking for a larger bodied guitar and am trying to findout which one of the two has a larger scale body. Anyone able to help me? Please and thank you.
NihilistNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar have nearly identical bodies. There is a difference, but it is slight, and barely noticeable.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
LZRocker
Jesus

You want the Jazzmaster.... it has P90's...sort of.... you want the Jazzmaster....it may have a period......but then so do chicks..... you want the Jazzmaster....

*Jedi hand wavey thingy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
LZRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
NihilistNixon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
The Jazzmaster and the Jaguar have nearly identical bodies. There is a difference, but it is slight, and barely noticeable.

So do they have the same size scale? What is the difference sonically?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.

THe jazz is 25.5" the jag is 24" scale length.

If your talking about the japanese ones the pickups are identicle, just under different covers, i dont know about the MIMs, witht he AVs and properly made jag/jazz pups, the jag pups are surfy and twangy, the jazzes are a bit rounder and mellower.
The jazz sustains a little better. All the the harware is the same.

They use different electronics, different switching obviously, the jazzmaster has lower value pots so it isnt as bright.

The av and cij made jag/jazzs have a 7.5" radius. The MIMs and a few Japanese ones have 9.5". The 7.5" makes it kinda prone to choking out when bending higher up the fretboard, but much more comfy for chordy stuff.

There is a slight difference in body shape/size i hear the jazz is a little bigger, i didnt really notice when i tried.

Theyre both very comfy though, contours are perfect.
#31 of the EHX Guild
Laneyless Founder of the Laney Cult
#1 of the Orange TH30 Clique

Last edited by beckyjc : 07-29-2011 at 07:47 PM.
beckyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
NihilistNixon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyjc
THe jazz is 25.5" the jag is 24" scale length.

If your talking about the japanese ones the pickups are identicle, just under different covers, i dont know about the MIMs, witht he AVs and properly made jag/jazz pups, the jag pups are surfy and twangy, the jazzes are a bit rounder and mellower.
The jazz sustains a little better. All the the harware is the same.

They use different electronics, different switching obviously, the jazzmaster has lower value pots so it isnt as bright.

The av and cij made jag/jazzs have a 7.5" radius. The MIMs and a few Japanese ones have 9.5". The 7.5" makes it kinda prone to choking out when bending higher up the fretboard, but much more comfy for chordy stuff.

There is a slight difference in body shape/size i hear the jazz is a little bigger, i didnt really notice when i tried.

Theyre both very comfy though, contours are perfect.

Yeah thats what prompted me to look them up is the comfort level is supposed to be great. Sounds like Im looking into a Jazzmaster. Do you know anything about the Blacktop Jazzmaster? I heard it has different pick-ups or something like that. Which one of the two did you enjoy better?

Last edited by NihilistNixon : 07-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilistNixon
Do you know anything about the Blacktop Jazzmaster? I heard it has different pick-ups or something like that. Which one of the two did you enjoy better?

My local Guitar Center just got them (other guitar stores near me don't carry Fenders for some reason). They're super sexy. The sound is crazy awesome, the neck is basically a MIM Strat Profile (with the JM heel and Headstock, of course). The pickups are nice, not the best but still pretty good. The stock ones are a little mismatched, when you switch between the neck and bridge there is a noticeable change in volume.

From what I've heard, Fender has done little to fix the shallow string saddle problem. They've moved the tremolo unit closer to the bridge to improve the break angle, but this only sort of works for thicker strings and makes it impossible to install a buzzstop.

There is some confusion about how they are routed though, some reviewers say they are routed like a normal JM (with the switches and stuff), while others say they aren't. In reality, they are not routed for the switches that are a defining feature of the JM, but they are routed for a JM Pickup (which is absolutely nothing like a P-90 by the way) in the bridge.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
NihilistNixon
Banned

Quote:
My local Guitar Center just got them (other guitar stores near me don't carry Fenders for some reason). They're super sexy. The sound is crazy awesome, the neck is basically a MIM Strat Profile (with the JM heel and Headstock, of course). The pickups are nice, not the best but still pretty good. The stock ones are a little mismatched, when you switch between the neck and bridge there is a noticeable change in volume.

From what I've heard, Fender has done little to fix the shallow string saddle problem. They've moved the tremolo unit closer to the bridge to improve the break angle, but this only sort of works for thicker strings and makes it impossible to install a buzzstop.

There is some confusion about how they are routed though, some reviewers say they are routed like a normal JM (with the switches and stuff), while others say they aren't. In reality, they are not routed for the switches that are a defining feature of the JM, but they are routed for a JM Pickup (which is absolutely nothing like a P-90 by the way) in the bridge.

Yeah same here, our music stores dont have much besides Gibsons and ESPs.lol So final question...is the Jazzmaster Blacktop HH worth the money?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilistNixon
Yeah same here, our music stores dont have much besides Gibsons and ESPs.lol So final question...is the Jazzmaster Blacktop HH worth the money?

1) It's HS, not HH

2) Yeah, most likely. You get a better range from the BT JM than the BT Jag (HH, basically an alder SG), but it depends on where you get it from. GC/Musician's Friend have them for ~$500 which is a good deal, but some places they go for $600+

Guitar

Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
NihilistNixon
Banned

Quote:
1) It's HS, not HH

2) Yeah, most likely. You get a better range from the BT JM than the BT Jag (HH, basically an alder SG), but it depends on where you get it from. GC/Musician's Friend have them for ~$500 which is a good deal, but some places they go for $600+

OH! I had my tab on the Jag the whole time.lol 500 bucks is a ****ing nice price. I may be able to get a new guitar and a new pedal the way things are going.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.

I dont think you need the buzz stop with the MIM jags/jazzs, they dont have the mustang style bridge with all the little groves in the saddles, they have an AOM, and the birdge is closer to the trem to make the break angle steeper over the bridge for better tension.

The bridge for the CIJ/AVs is the biggest let down really, but its fixable.

I bought the jag personally, but I want a jazzmaster.

Id prolly get the blacktop jazz over the jag, HH setup and no trem, whats with that? They think just cause they put a chrome bit where the knobs are they can call it a jag...
#31 of the EHX Guild
Laneyless Founder of the Laney Cult
#1 of the Orange TH30 Clique

beckyjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: