Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
tr3nt
is your mom

I wrote a song to ask my girlfriend to go to prom.

Hey guys I wrote and recorded this song last night. I don't sing, ever, I think this is the first time I have ever sang, honestly. To be honest I don't hate my voice like I have always thought I did, but now I did one song I have to do more so I'm looking for tips on my voice. What do you guys think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1371004/master2.mp3

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
tr3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Pettah
StratMan

DUDE! You sing really great! REALLY REALLY great actually

keep up the good work!
Pettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Reeen

You should start to write songs for teenie movies like American Pie etc.

I like it. Basically because it sounds like songs from those movies.

Looking forward to hear more of those!

Take a look at my profile!
Reeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Sing a lot. It basically works out the same way as playing guitar, except with a lot less specific stuff to work on. But the more you sing, the better you will get at singing. If you're singing while listening to a song, turn it down a little or keep one headphone out so you can actually hear yourself. Recording yourself is a good way to know let you know where you're at, and when you listen to recordings of yourself you can also find things to fix. If you really want to get into it you could find someone to take voice lessons from, but they can be expensive and time consuming, so it depends on how much you want to be good, and how good you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
EL2T
Why not?

First things first, you've recorded this really well and I really love the acoustic-punk thing you've done!

In terms of your voice, you're not pitch perfect all the time but I've heard far worse than you. Definitely reminiscent of Mark Hoppus (for me anyway).

^_^
EL2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
EFGuitar
More Than Meets The Eye

sweet. Nice job man.
EFGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
sooperduper19

that sounds really good man, just do more
sooperduper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
tr3nt
is your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL2T
First things first, you've recorded this really well and I really love the acoustic-punk thing you've done!

In terms of your voice, you're not pitch perfect all the time but I've heard far worse than you. Definitely reminiscent of Mark Hoppus (for me anyway).

^_^

This is what I've noticed, any good ways to work on this?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
tr3nt
is your mom

She said yes ! woo

Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
Venomtank

It was good as another guy said, it reminded me of things from american teen movies which is good, as they're always catchy

I have to ask something though... If she's your girlfriend, wouldn't it be expected that she go with you?
Venomtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Housequake
Registered Funkatier

Very good first attempt man! The guitar sound so crisp, may I ask how you went about recording that out of curiosity? As for singing tips, have you tried figuring out the vocal melody on guitar/piano, recording it where the vocal would be, singing along to it & then deleting the reference track? Its a good way to ensure you're staying in tune
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #12
tr3nt
is your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomtank
It was good as another guy said, it reminded me of things from american teen movies which is good, as they're always catchy

I have to ask something though... If she's your girlfriend, wouldn't it be expected that she go with you?

Yeah but it's prom, you have to figure out a unique way to ask haha..

and I haven't thought about doing that with a melody line

Guitar was done with a Presonus firepod and a stereo pair of MXL603S's, pretty cheap mic you can pick them up for $100 brand new. Put them in a XY position right in front of the 12th fret of the guitar. Everything is also double tracked and panned hard left and right.

Last edited by tr3nt : 01-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
Winter Sky
green is fine.

Your pitch was flat during most of it, some parts worse than others, but that's expected of a novice singer. Pitch control is something every singer needs to have, so I would suggest doing some pitch exercises. Also, the more you sing, especially singing along to another singer, you'll get a better grasp of pitch and you'll naturally learn to control it much better.

As far as the tone of your voice, it's actually pretty good, and reminded me of Blink 182 and other similar pop-punk bands of the late '90s and early '00s. While that may work if you like to sing pop-punk, it can also be a bad thing if you want to sing more melodic stuff, as it's a distinctly punk sort of voice.

I agree with most everyone here that it's reminiscent of teen movies ("Out Cold" starring Jason London came to mind for some reason.) Anyway, not bad for a beginner. You just need to work on your pitch a bit.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
EL2T
Why not?

To be honest if you want to improve the only real way is to practice or take vocal lessons, more importantly...

She said yes! Awesome!

^_^
EL2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Sorry, but this is the wrong area of UG. Yaa'll should know better.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread