Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
j-e-f-f-e-r-s

The Pat Metheny thread

Having searched the forums, I am shocked and appalled that there is no dedicated thread for the Jazz legend that is Pat Metheny.

For anyone who doesn't know: Pat Metheny is a Jazz guitarist who's been playing since the Seventies, and has become one of the most respected Jazz musicians around today. He's recorded music under his own name, with the Pat Metheny Trio, and the Pat Metheny Group. All of them worth checking out.

Just as impressive, if not moreso, is the role-call of musicians he's played with. He's shared stages and recorded music with practically every great Jazzer around today: Charlie Hayden, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Herbie Hancock... Jesus, he played with Jaco Pastorius and Joni Mitchell in the same frecking band!

Recently, he's garnered attention for recording and playing with a robot orchestra. I kid you not. A real life, robot orchestra, that he can improvise with. That's how crazy he is. Check it out on Youtube- type in Pat Metheny + Orchestrion, and prepare to have your mind blown.

He's also one of the only players to make guitar synth sound good.

Forget the role calls though, is he any good? You tell me. Check out this video (() if you want an idea of his prowess on solo guitar. Pay particular attention to 4:23, where he inserts an excerpt from First Circle, and the entire thing goes up a notch. His chordal melody skills are jaw dropping.

Or, if you want an idea of his soloing skills,check out this guitar duel with jazz monster John Scofield ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzd-0TigTvc).

For clarification: yes, he always wears the same stripey jumpers whenever he plays a gig. And yes, I want one.

Right, hopefully that'll give you an idea of just how amazing the man is if you've never heard of him before. For those who have, any favourite songs? Any favourite solos? Any stories to tell? Let's get the ball rolling, and get more people aware of this living legend.

For me, my favourite solo has to be the one from Story Within A Story. Every time I hear it, I leak love juice out of my ears. (Fun fact: a friend of mine and I got baked one day and decided to run the solo through Transcribe, a piece of software that lets you slow tunes down without affecting the pitch. It was incredible. Licks that had breezed by almost to quick to understand were now able to fully show the genius of Pat: even when he plays really fast, his melodic touch is impeccable.)

I also love the intro to Part One of The Way Up. The whole album is great, but the first five minutes of Part One (the whole tune is about twenty) are the definition of 'epic'.

EDIT

I completely forgot to mention the fact that Pat has won seventeen Grammy awards. Seventeen!!! That's instant pussymagnet status right there.

"Hi, what lovely eyes you have. Fancy a drink? **** it, what's say you come back to mine and we get a party going?"

"I don't know, that jumper's a bit of a turn off."

"Did I mention that I'm Pat Metheny, and I have seventeen Grammy awards?"

".... Do me now!"

Last edited by j-e-f-f-e-r-s : 12-24-2010 at 10:45 AM.
j-e-f-f-e-r-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Goose Catcher
besador de los gatos

Cool, I love Pat. That robot orchestra is great, although calling it robots would be kind of misleading; they don't work on their own, Pat controls all of them with his guitar and feet.
Goose Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
j-e-f-f-e-r-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Catcher
Cool, I love Pat. That robot orchestra is great, although calling it robots would be kind of misleading; they don't work on their own, Pat controls all of them with his guitar and feet.

True enough I suppose. A mechanical orchestra then. Which is just as awesome. I'll post a Youtube video for anyone who's intrigued:

This, to me, is far more musically progressive than any number of shredders blasting away in odd time signatures. This is something unlike anything else in music, a completely crazy idea which somehow works brilliantly. Yet another reason why I think Pat is the greatest living guitarist (I know not everyone will agree with that, but I can't think of any other guitarist with the same amount of technical skill, melodic touch, and out and out crazy thinking).
Old 12-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Goose Catcher
besador de los gatos

hey man, do you happen to know where i can get some transcriptions of Metheny's guitar solos? I know about the Pat Metheny Songbook but that just has the lead sheets. So far I've mostly been learning the Pat tunes that are in the Real Book.
Goose Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
smartguyreviews
Kenny G on Ecstacy

Quote:
hey man, do you happen to know where i can get some transcriptions of Metheny's guitar solos? I know about the Pat Metheny Songbook but that just has the lead sheets. So far I've mostly been learning the Pat tunes that are in the Real Book.

This has a few of his solos, and while it's nothing official, it's still something
http://www.lucaspickford.com/transguitar.htm

And I saw him live during the orchestrion tour, and it was incredibly mind-blowing. I didn't actually know that he'd be using it before I went, so you can imagine how confused I was when a curtain rose and all of these instruments were just sitting there. Then they started playing. Freaking crazy.
smartguyreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
Having searched the forums, I am shocked and appalled that there is no dedicated thread for the Jazz legend that is Pat Metheny.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1291121
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=638629
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=574615

Shocking.
blue_strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
jesse music

Pat Metheny is great. I've always really loved his Phase Dance composition, so beautiful.

Also, I think this video of him playing with Mick Goodrick is fantastic

Also, his work with Scofield (as already mentioned) is fantasic, I love I Can See Your House From Here

This clip is interesting too

Another awesome Mr Metheny clip what a wild guitar!

An amusing clip for those of you who may have not seen it
jesse music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
mikelwho

To me pat's brilliance is mainly because he dedicated most of his abilities to personal style. He doesnt sound like wes, green, martino, or any of the other timeless greats. Theres a lot of value in that fact. When you hear metheny (regardless of guitar tone) you know who it is.

Love it. Thanks for posting this thread.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
j-e-f-f-e-r-s

Hot day-am. Honest to God, I used the Search Bar, and didn't find any of them. Dunno if that's down to UG's serach engine not liking me, or because I couldn't see them for looking, but ah well. They all seem rather old anyway, so it can't hurt to have another Pat thread on the front of the Blues/Jazz page (and I always feel a little wierd answering threads that have been untouched for months at a time).

Quote:

I dunno to be honest. I downloaded legally bought the Pat Metheny real book, which has got a veritiable shitload of charts with both melody and chords. It's in notation though, as opposed to tab (though what can you expect from a jazz book?) I auditioned for a guitar degree recently, and used the chart for Letter From Home to arrange a (basic) chordal melody to show the examiner. Even though I could have played it better (and looking back, it was a pretty poor arrangement. There are far better ones on youtube), I got a call within a week saying I'd got a place. What can I say: Pat not only makes awesome music, he gets people on shit hot music courses.

Also wondering, what do people think of his guitar sounds? I absolutely adore his 'regular' guitar tone, as I think it perfectly mirrors the kind of jazz he tends to make. It's a really inoffensive sound, but never dull or lifelessl. He makes his guitar sound breezier and lighter than any other guitar player I can think of. I also think he actually manages to make guitar synth sound... good. It's not as awesome as the sound of his actual strings ringing, but he makes it work. And he tends to play just as many awesome notes and licks with the synth on as he does without, so it all sounds brilliant.

Thoughts?

Last edited by j-e-f-f-e-r-s : 12-25-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
Zomby Woof

Orchestrion was the best album of the decade.

Also, he needs to fucking tour with Christian McBride again.
Zomby Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Just finished learning the themes and chord progression from Bright Size Life.

Next is the task of improvising over it.

Really loving Metheny's stuff at the moment.

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
j-e-f-f-e-r-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_Ninja
Just finished learning the themes and chord progression from Bright Size Life.

Next is the task of improvising over it.

Really loving Metheny's stuff at the moment.

Best of luck with that. Improv over a Pat chord sequence can be daunting, but when it sounds good, it sounds amazing.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Kartman
Samuel in da tub.

I saw him this May, he blew me away. He's also a really good speaker: he gave a master lecture at my school
Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

figured y'all can help me. a teacher played a metheny tune on solo piano. i thought the title was a chick's name. but i can't remember. all i remember was it totally lifted part of the changes to "change the world" by eric clapton. anyone?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
jayx124

Pat is great I especially like his bossa nova version of giant steps:
jayx124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Iohannes

Iohannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
LPVoodoomagic

I just needed to throw this out there: my brother is a huge Pat fan and signed up for his guitar workshop in CT through the National Guitar Workshop. A month ago or so, they filed for bankruptcy and no one knew if the workshop was going to happen or not. Pat took it upon himself to shell out all the expenses for the workshop and keep it going! My brother got home earlier today and he's beaming from ear to ear. I just can't believe this! It's a rare kind of musician who takes care of his fans like that!
LPVoodoomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
roushsn95

Very cool. Thats a super classy move on Pat's part. Thats why he's one of the greats.

Your bro is a lucky dude.
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
makemusicnet

Still Life Talking is still one of my favourite albums my the Pat Metheny Group. Just superb music! It still sounds so modern and contemporary like it could have been released this year.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
Iohannes

Last edited by Iohannes : 08-23-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Iohannes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: