Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
C_Hart

My first build

All done guys!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ghlight=lagarto

just thought id share pics of what i have so far. this is my first build ever, im working on it with my dad.

Neck
-25.5" scale
-Bolt on
-Birdseye maple
-1/16" mahogany sandwich between neck and fretboard
-Maple fretboard
-Royal blue dot inlay
-Fairly thick profile

Body
-Maple
-Rib, forearm, and hand contour
-White base color
-Sharpie lambo style black doodle
-Double cutaway, no bottom horn.

Components
-Neck pup: sd jazz model humbucker
-Bridge pup: sd jb model humbucker
-3 way selector
-2 dual concentric pots
*one for vol both pups
*one for tone both pups
-Artec QDD2 distortion module
-2 spdt switches to select clean or distorted sound for either pup, so that i can go from clean rhythm on the neck pup to dirty lead with the bridge pup with only one switch (pickup selector)
-pickguard mounted jack
-TOM bridge/tailpiece
-Chrome dc knobs
-White pup rings and covers

a mock up of what it will all look like once its put together:

The neck is now all one piece but I don't have pics of that. Inlaying it today. The white base color has been laid down, and were ready to move onto the graphics portion (in the pics is just the primer). So tell me what you think. Also, I have some questions about wiring I'm about to post in their proper thread. If anyone who thinks that they could help me out could head over there and give me some advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm naming it lagarto, spanish for lizard. my dad used to call me carlos lagarto all the time when i was really little, so we thought that it would be a fitting name.

Last edited by C_Hart : 01-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
C_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Aotnoe
Off-Season Time

Its...beautiful...

I am impressed, I will await the final product eagerly.
Aotnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Madcarp

looks pretty damn sweet... make me one with a mahogany body and a flame maple top. I would be willing to pay for your time and effort. Nice job!
Madcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Tyler Durden
Likes the Sauce

i have to honestly say this is one of the better builds I have seen on here. Great design and layout, and from the pics the craftsmanship looks great. For your first build, congrats, you are well on your way!!

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Koelker12
Koelker12

Sick shape for the body, that's gonna turn out awesome
Koelker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
C_Hart

Thanks everybody! I gotta say though, I do have the right dad for the job. He's an architect with a pretty good small size workshop, so that helps a lot.

Madcarp - As for making you one, I'm going into high school next year, and ill probably have significantly less time, than I did this year but if you're really serious about it, pm me.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
lil PopTart kid

Beautiful

one request please don't ruin it by painting it white like the mock-up

Die it a color show off that nice wood
lil PopTart kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
guitaristren
UnRegistered User

wow... that looks very nice, i like the unique body shape a lot.

One thing: wouldn't the Seymour Duncan JB sound very bright in a maple body?
guitaristren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
guitarzephyr
Electric Organs ARE Cool

Location: I'm just a gypsy with wondering eyes. I'll tell you secrets that send you to sleep. All I can I give you is all of my love. These are the things I can give you to keep.
Gives off a cool Rickenbacker/ Brian May vibe. Awaits.
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
guitarzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
C_Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaristren
wow... that looks very nice, i like the unique body shape a lot.

One thing: wouldn't the Seymour Duncan JB sound very bright in a maple body?

thanks. and yeah, i figured that out a little too late though. i might try to compensate with more mellow strings though, like flat would or half flat wound. any suggestions for fixing the extra brightness other than that?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
RepBassCS
your head a splode

wow dude, thats really awesome. good luck finishing it.

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
RepBassCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
C_Hart

Yes we did. I thought we had to... oops. whatever, it'll still look fine. And the small circles are screw holes where we anchored the templates. Are there any better ways to do that? We tried some double stick tape, but that failed pretty quickly. And also, what is a good way, for future guitars, to get the templates set accurately, even when there are shims under them? or is it better to drill most of it out first, then set the template down and do one pass?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
C_Hart

update:

Neck

- (re)shaped
- inlay almost done
-headstock painted black
-pegholes drilled
-heel angled to 1.5*

pics will be up once i finish the inlay, final sanding and clearcoat on the neck. probably the day after tomorrow.

Body
-More coats of paint
-pickguard drilled
-electronics figured out (with much help from monkeylink)

turns out we placed the jack too low on the pickguard, so it doesn't fit. we'll have to rout a little cove for it.

now heres something for you guys. i mocked up some possible headstock designs in GIMP (i think thats what its called). just downloaded it today, and it works great! i highly recommend it. anyways, tell me what you think of these designs. feel free to suggest your own, or even take the blank and mock something up for me. bottom line is, i want your thoughts on my headstock designs.

The logo is a C and an H inside a circle. the bottom of the c is the crosspiece of the h.

one more question: what's the best way to apply this? my dad and i are skeptical about doing inlay. would it work to use a spraypaint stencil? how about a waterslide decal. i think a decal could come out really cool looking. so, any thoughts on application methods?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader

I say the first one, I really like that logo, it is cool looking, although tough to tell it's a C.

You could stencil it on, although you would have to make your own stencils and whatnot. I would suggest the decal, I don't know much about the different ways of doing them, but Here is a link to the tutorial on Project Gutiar that seems like it should be useful.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, what is Lagarto? and yes, GIMP rocks.
MonkeyLink07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #18
Kcintlob

I'm liking the carve on the back of the guitar. It looks like it'll be really comfortable to play.
Kcintlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #19
C_Hart

monkey- that was my favorite too. ill need to work around the pegs though, so the design may get tweaked. I really like the logo too. do you think it matters if people can decipher it? because once you know what its supposed to be, its pretty easy, right? I've worked with stencils for awhile now, but getting the lines that fine might be tough. if i were to do the decal, i would go and buy waterslide decal paper that you can print on, so that the logo would come out nice and neat. Lagarto means lizard en espanol. my dad used to call me carlos lagarto (charlie the lizard) when i was really little, so we thought it was fitting to name the guitar that, plus it sounds cool.

2 questions:

put on another coat of paint today, and as it dried, cracks formed in the paint. whattup with that?

does this stuff work for a clear coat? if not, other suggestions would be wonderful. ill go and check out the finishing thread as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
C_Hart

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar...ment_Screw.html why are you supposed to drill the holes in the body so that they get no bite? i have these screws, so i drilled a 1/8" hole and a 3/16" hole in a test piece, but the screw gets no bite in the 3/16" hole. should I just drill em both @ 1/8"? pics of neck by the end of the day too. also, were going over to my dad's friends house tonight, and he has all of the nut slotting and fretting tools, so some work will be done on that stuff.

Rate This Thread: