Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
mattbellamee
Chunky Munkey

Can't stop writing sad songs...

It seems like every song that i write comes out in a sad way and the way I sing songs are just quite depressing and slow. Anyone else have this problem? I think this is what I get for listening to Radiohead for so long. I want to make optimistic songs but everything that I write is so depresso..
Old 01-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
supersac

yeah i had that proablem
then i had happy thigs to write about
try using magor and not miner scales interals ec
and playing a bit mor eu bet
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
ryanrose

I think this is a common problem, music is much easier to birth out of pain than any other emotion because pain contains such richness of ideas and feelings. This is in my opinion a common problem among all songwriters, its always hard to say "this is what i want to write about and this is how i want it to sound" it sounds crazy but we dont always have control over the ideas that come out of our heads.

Its like if i say to you dont think about sad songs, what do you think about immediately?? sad songs, it sucks but thats how it works.

This is something that will naturally pass over you, and it may also bring out some kickass material that you didnt think you were capable of. While it is true that influences can induce a certain song writing style i dont think it is something you cant move beyond, just ride it out and star positive.
ryanrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
jimihendrix6699

writing a bunch of sad songs isn't necessarily a bad thing. i would much rather write all sad songs but they be good songs than write more diversely and have them be mediocre/bad.
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
mattbellamee
Chunky Munkey

I agree with all you of you. It seems that sadness and pain just come out naturally because I guess I face more sad then happy. I hope it passes. Because I read some of my old lyrics and poems and all of them are about being left out, being bullied, being in love with somebody you cant have, and losing somebody you've loved. I hate it, but maybe one day it'll pay off. And I perform most of them live and people love them, but in the back of my head I'm like if you knew the meaning behind this it's not so happy.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
DeadlyIllness
UG Member

Hmmmm... Try not to worry about it....
Optimistic Songs are gay.
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
jimihendrix6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyIllness
Optimistic Songs are gay.

yea, they aren't br00taL enough and aren't mEtaL enough dewd.
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
cubs
x

read the rules. *moved to S&L techniques*
Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Jammydude44
Bad Santa

Who cares if it's sad, as long as it's good?

For me it's a lot more fun to describe the awkward fumble in a nightclub that ultimately ends in rejection, compared to writing about how actually last night I pulled seven women at once and we did it like rabbits.

If it's a good lyrics, then it will stand up by itself. If you want to change your style, then stop telling us and go do it. Listen to new music for a start.
Jammydude44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
GeeDee

Don't stop writing sad songs, just play them differently if you don't want them to sound sad. As another poster said, use major chords and mix up the progressions. Elliott Smith had a way of writing about dark topics and making them upbeat and happy sounding. Have a look at Division Day to see what I mean:

GeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
6StringBlazer
How did you get in here!?

I have the same problem. It seems that sadder songs have a deeper cut to them and are more introspective than happy songs. I think most of it is subconscious, as looking over some old works of mine some are happy, some are sad, and some are angrier than others. As long as they're good songs I don't think it really matters though.

It does help to listen to happier kinds of songs though. Nothing thats so happy and sweet it gives you diabetes but something not gloomy.

Last edited by 6StringBlazer : 01-10-2011 at 12:21 AM.
6StringBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
L2112Lif
UG Board King

I've got basically the same problem, but everything I write thats not depressing is... Cliche, I suppose. I dunno, my mind is volcanic, and I hide in its ancient caverns.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/NSattelites

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/l2112lif

Bandcamp: tfmonkey.bandcamp.com/
L2112Lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
bingeandletgo
Bańned

Try something other than sad or happy. Something a little "quirkier'. Personally, I think funk is what you need to mix it up and cheer you up at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNJ...feature=related

bingeandletgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
mikeExile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbellamee
It seems like every song that i write comes out in a sad way and the way I sing songs are just quite depressing and slow. Anyone else have this problem? I think this is what I get for listening to Radiohead for so long. I want to make optimistic songs but everything that I write is so depresso..

I am a happily married dude with a good life and great family. EVERYTHING I write sounds sad. Embrace it. The problem would be if everything you listened to was sad.
mikeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Green_Ghoul

back from the grave!
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
harltonstone

That's ok, there are sad songs in every genre of music and they have a purpose. There billions of sad people in the world that need to connect with their sad memories, that's all they have and they feel they have every right to be sad..it's a huge market.
I keep hearing that Country music is nothing but sad and depressing music with the pedal steel and fiddles and some crooning singer singing about his loses, but hey, everyone can feel that pain, doesn't matter what kind of music your listen to.
But, it's all good..go with the feeling because your are expressing emotion- i don't mean to scare you that, but, as an artist, that is how you are connecting to your audience.
harltonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
TomB-Guitarist
Musician and Gamer

There is nothing wrong with writing sad songs. A lot of people actually like them. It's music, so it doesn't matter. I write ballads and rap. It depends what mood you think the ballad I wrote puts you in. Some have cried listening to my lyrics. They told me they like the lyrics. If you hear the lyrics, then you can make your decision.

But writing sad songs is still writing songs. If the songs you write are good, you should continue writing those songs.

Good luck

Rate This Thread: