Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Hereiwas
"Alex"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_neutron
Double post, because its how I roll:

Just listened to Kanye West's new album. Its not bad, completely threw my expectations. However i cant seem to find a thread..

Convention i assume would put him over in the Other forum, but given that his last two albums have gotten such acclaim from the "alt/indie scene", would he go down better over here?

I listened to it in short film format. I didn't rally think much of the songs, they were okay though. (Is the gil scott heron/bon iver one off the album? I liked it the most)

Has anyone seen the film? I'm curious what people thought of it...

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #22
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

i was gone only a week, but it felt like so much longer. tell me some stories. what is the news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbiles
Thank you (re: tab). It's one of those that I've been staring at and questioning for a couple of weeks, not entirely convinced so I really appreciate the thumbs up. Might brush up the ending and then submit it.
Fantastic album isn't it? So many beautiful songs on it. I think 'Too much time', 'My head is my only house...' and 'Her eyes are a blue million miles' rank as my three most listened to songs of last year.
Really sad that he passed away.

There were in fact three Big Blood releases last year. 'Dark Country Magic' is my favourite, very easy to listen to and it fits almost any mood. There was also 'Dead Songs' on Time Lag and a limited Moondog tribute cassette.

Really getting into 'Obscured by Clouds' (Pink Floyd) this week. I'm sure if it wasn't released between 'Meddle' and 'DSOTM' is would get more acclaim. 'Wot's... uh the deal?' and 'Childhood's End' are especially good.

Not that fussed about Kanye West so haven't listened to the latest.

re Beefheart: i was sad, but i can't be too sad because anytime that i think about him, i wind up thinking about how i know this shop owner that taunted the shop across the street by playing Trout Mask Replica over and over.

re Big Blood: what is that Moondog cassette? it seems like it might have flew under my radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
new low album this year?

i know, right?
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser

Quote:
Thank you (re: tab). It's one of those that I've been staring at and questioning for a couple of weeks, not entirely convinced so I really appreciate the thumbs up. Might brush up the ending and then submit it.
Fantastic album isn't it? So many beautiful songs on it. I think 'Too much time', 'My head is my only house...' and 'Her eyes are a blue million miles' rank as my three most listened to songs of last year.
Really sad that he passed away.

i think the lick before the last chorus goes like this:
|-12/14-14/12----------------------
|-12/14-14/12-12/10-10/7-7/5---
|----------------11/ 9--9 /6-6/4---
|-------------------------------------
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
Andrewbiles

Ah yes, thank you. Sounds better. I think it may slide back up to the 10th fret (b string - 9th g) at the end.

I keep hearing more and more lead guitar parts in the song. Need to burn off a CD to hear it through proper speakers on something easily rewindable (the one downside to vinyl).

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
re Beefheart: i was sad, but i can't be too sad because anytime that i think about him, i wind up thinking about how i know this shop owner that taunted the shop across the street by playing Trout Mask Replica over and over.

re Big Blood: what is that Moondog cassette? it seems like it might have flew under my radar.

Haha. Got to love street wars. I'm imagining the shop across the street was a hairdressers for some reason...

'Night Terrors on the Isle of Louis Hardin' was the BB cassette. They sold out pretty quickly. Last time I checked Norman Records had a copy but that was a couple of months ago. I'll try and remember to upload it at some point.

RIP Trish Keenan

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic

Last edited by Andrewbiles : 01-16-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Andrewbiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
sre9981
Woo!

For all in tents and porpoises, I do not like complex numbers.

Playing guitar is pretty deck though.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

by and large, i think that i'm done with guitar. i've made similar declarations before, but, at the moment, it doesn't do much for me. i feel like i'm too terrible at it, especially for as long as i've played, to justify continuing to play.

i'm sure that in two weeks time i'll be fiddling around again.
Quote:
Haha. Got to love street wars. I'm imagining the shop across the street was a hairdressers for some reason...

'Night Terrors on the Isle of Louis Hardin' was the BB cassette. They sold out pretty quickly. Last time I checked Norman Records had a copy but that was a couple of months ago. I'll try and remember to upload it at some point.

it was an "irish shop" selling irish-style gifts.

and i don't have an actual copy of that one, but sort of i do. did you also hear the Operators and Things cassette? two of the songs on it are as good as anything they've ever done.

also, and big news, new Grouper album early this year.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.

Wussup beeeeeeeyotches?

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I've stuck my nose in here. Chalk it up to a bunch of unnecessarily inconvenient things happening to me at once. Ah wells. How goes it?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
Andrewbiles

Quote:
by and large, i think that i'm done with guitar. i've made similar declarations before, but, at the moment, it doesn't do much for me. i feel like i'm too terrible at it, especially for as long as i've played, to justify continuing to play.

i'm sure that in two weeks time i'll be fiddling around again.

it was an "irish shop" selling irish-style gifts.

and i don't have an actual copy of that one, but sort of i do. did you also hear the Operators and Things cassette? two of the songs on it are as good as anything they've ever done.

also, and big news, new Grouper album early this year.

I know that guitar feeling. I've been playing for nearly a decade now (damn!) and still can't improvise a decent, let alone good, solo. Had a couple of phases where I haven't touched a guitar for a year and come back to it and learnt 50 songs. But I've never dug into theory or stuck at tricky solos to really progress techniques or speed.
Determined to feel some improvement at the moment so I'm trying harder with finger picking - learning 'On doing an evil deed blues' (John Fahey), 'Blues run the game' (Jackson C Frank) and 'Angi' (Davey Graham) - and have learnt some songs that I used to struggle with - 'Happiness is a warm gun' (Beatles) and 'Paranoid Android' (Radiohead).

I don't own a copy of the 'Operators & Things' cassette - it was also released as part of the Peasant Magik box set - but definitely rate it highly, although '& The Bleedin Hearts', 'The Grove' and the latest are the releases I tend to play a lot more.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #29
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser

tea drinkers of a+i, what tea besides rooibos doesn't taste horrid.
green tea is bland. earl grey stinks. orange pekoe doesn't do anything for me. jasmine tea i only enjoy with msg-laden foods. chai seems out of place in every situation.

Last edited by somewhat_here : 01-25-2011 at 10:54 PM.
somewhat_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #30
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Lizzle
Wussup beeeeeeeyotches?

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I've stuck my nose in here. Chalk it up to a bunch of unnecessarily inconvenient things happening to me at once. Ah wells. How goes it?

what is up, big-k? can that be your nickname now?

glad to see you back, even if it is just to say hello.

Quote:
I know that guitar feeling. I've been playing for nearly a decade now (damn!) and still can't improvise a decent, let alone good, solo. Had a couple of phases where I haven't touched a guitar for a year and come back to it and learnt 50 songs. But I've never dug into theory or stuck at tricky solos to really progress techniques or speed.
Determined to feel some improvement at the moment so I'm trying harder with finger picking - learning 'On doing an evil deed blues' (John Fahey), 'Blues run the game' (Jackson C Frank) and 'Angi' (Davey Graham) - and have learnt some songs that I used to struggle with - 'Happiness is a warm gun' (Beatles) and 'Paranoid Android' (Radiohead).

I don't own a copy of the 'Operators & Things' cassette - it was also released as part of the Peasant Magik box set - but definitely rate it highly, although '& The Bleedin Hearts', 'The Grove' and the latest are the releases I tend to play a lot more.

really, that is probably what i should do. that fingerpicking thing has been what interested me from the start, but i never got any good at it.

and maybe we should make a Big Blood thread or some sort of "Avant Folk" sort of general thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhat_here
tea drinkers of a+i, what tea besides rooibos doesn't taste horrid.
green tea is bland. earl grey stinks. orange pekoe doesn't do anything for me. jasmine tea i only enjoy with msg-laden foods. chai seems out of place in every situation.

i'm a big fan of ginseng oolong.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #31
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser

Quote:
i'm a big fan of ginseng oolong.

that's the name of my avant folk band
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #32
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE

Does The Tallest Man On Earth count as alternative&indie? He's the love of my life.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
sre9981
Woo!

Best. Swede. Ever.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 AM   #34
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.

Actually, I prefer Dennis Lyxzn. He's the best Swede ever.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #35
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE

Refused singer? He is indeed an awesome swede. But let's be honest, there's nothing sexier than this

Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #36
Andrewbiles

Ulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka

Quote:
really, that is probably what i should do. that fingerpicking thing has been what interested me from the start, but i never got any good at it.

and maybe we should make a Big Blood thread or some sort of "Avant Folk" sort of general thread.

Yeah, it's certainly tough to get into (fingerpicking).
Try this one - song / tab. Bars 29 & 30 (on the tab) are pretty damn awkward at first but the tempo is gentle and it's not too complicated with the fretting hand.
Suddenly finding it all a bit easier now - hardest part is remembering the patterns - but I'd love to get to a standard where I can confidently play something like 'Bean Time' by Leo Kottke or have the classical guitar skill of tremoloing the high strings and playing bass accompaniments. It's going to take some practice.

I guess Big Blood come out with enough new material to keep a good thread going. Should be a new one in the next few months on Digitalis (double LP).

RateYourMusic
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #37
redh0tchilip3pp
GEORGE

I ruled her out of being MILF material after I saw this

Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #38
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Guess who's back from a 30 day ban?!!?!?!? I spent a bunch of time improving my life and getting some serious work done since I was last on here...

...ok that was a lie. Let me comment on a few issues already discussed in the past two pages:

-I have one very strong memory of 2001, but I think it's best we not delve into that subject. You all know what I'm talking about.

-There is nothing alternative nor independent about Kanye West. Take that shit somewhere else. The mere mention of that man enrages me.

-You all have seriously disappointed me in not covering the most significant piece of news this month in this forum which I will promptly be starting a thread about.

EDIT: And according to those stereotype lists, I was the kind of kid who bought a kaleidoscope at Chuck E. Cheese. Well I would have if it weren't 50 damn tickets and I only had 37!!! Got stuck with the damn pencil case with that creepy Italian chef's face on it.

Last edited by snipelfritz : 01-30-2011 at 05:33 AM.
snipelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #39
sre9981
Woo!

I have become addicted to bluegrass. Banjo kicks it.

as for 2001, I hear there was some giant baby that appeared by the moon or something? I dunno, all I saw was some big black rectangle thing.

Also, I hear Jeff Mangum is playing at ATP? That's pretty nifty.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #40
Monkeygone2hvn

I hear he's proposing some sort of tour and everything, maybe the return of NMH?!

Lately I've just been obsessed with John Fahey. That stuff is way too good.
Monkeygone2hvn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: